Mystery City

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
AssistantAero
Ricer
Ricer

Mystery City

Post by AssistantAero »

Hi everyone. Just tonight I found out about Mystery City and I've already learnt so much about it. The way everything connects and the thought of all the cities together is so awesome it kind of scares me for some reason, or it's because I'm thinking of mysterious crap at night... Anyways, post your thoughts about Mystery City here! If you'd like to know my opinion... Here it is!

I'm thinking that once you place each city into a certain angle, you get a huge road coming from each city that lead to a junction, which the roads connect to. First off let's look at the games.

In Need For Speed Underground, there aren't many thoughts about Olympic City connecting with Palmount or Rockport or any of the other cities besides the bridge near Chinatown, which doesn't really lead anywhere. But my only hypothesis for Olympic is that... Well, when you are racing there are multiple roads you cannot access because of the arrows telling you to go somewhere during a race. Of course you can just go f**k dah poh-lease and drive straight through them, but the game would just reset you on the track and laugh at you. My only thought of Olympic connecting is that one of these roads lead to a bridge or something that leads to the junction that leads to the other cities. Though none of this can be proven due to the fact you cannot free roam in Underground, which is a shame because in my opinion, Olympic would've been the best to explore online with friends.

Underground 2 definitely has a connection with Rockport. Either by just flying on a plane (during the start of the game, your character is flying in a plane to get Rachel's car) or there is a road connecting. So far-I've only been able to think that you can fly over to Rockport. But the only thing blocking that thought is that there isn't an airport in Rockport or any of the other boroughs. So it leaves me with sailing to Rockport. Coal harbour is... Well, a harbour. It has boats which you could go on I guess.

Most Wanted has the most proven connection. But we'll save that for later. What I want to say for Most Wanted first is that in Candem Beach, where you first see your character driving near a light house-not many have noticed a bridge in the distance that is used for scenery. This also connects with Palmount, so it is possible to drive from Bayview straight to Palmount without going to Rockport first. At the end of the game, I think we've all seen this so if it's a spoiler, I wouldn't suggest reading and going on to the next paragraph unless you want to know this. Of course, you can go finish the game and then read this. --SPOILER-- at the end of the game you beat Razor and the blacklist is arrested. Mia is a cop and you are chased by Cross and his Heat level 6 minions. That road near the sports field in rosewood is clear and once you get there, you jump the bridge and evade Cross. Along the road there is another road that connects with the bridge I told you about earlier (near the light house that hardly anyone noticed) but obviously that road wouldn't exist unless Bayview had a connecting road. Though in this theory, it has one. Somewhere. Anyways... Just avoided Cross by jumping a bridge and on your way to Palmount to start a new racing career and for... Relaxing maybe? Because apparently, before you were a racing man of awesomeness in Rockport-you were a n00b in Palmount, who worked his way up to challenging and almost beating the 3 area bosses. Rudely interrupted by the police, I think it's Darius who gave you his car which you took to Rockport, sold the Supra (heh) and bought that badass M3 GTR and became the boss of Rockport. After that, coming back to Palmount to finish what he started maybe. After defeating Darius, that's it. He's maxin' and relaxin' at Palmount. Because next comes ProStreet with Ryan Cooper who isn't the guy from Most Wanted (not proven but in my opinion I don't think the badass would go to legal races after all that) Then Nitro which I don't know much about because I never knew it existed. :3 Then came Undercover where you're a cop... Yep... I don't think he'd become a cop after all that. But who knows? Maybe it's like 2Fast2Furious where he is taken into custody, then let free to do a mission or whatever to clear his record. In my opinion, the story was of Underground to Carbon. The story of PLAYER.

Last but not least is the Mysterious Cities.

They are basically what I just said but all together. Heaps of different cities can be seen on the full released version of Carbon's canyon routes. Which is another hypothesis that I've heard. Apparently, a lot of people think that the canyon routes actually connect the cities instead of the junction thing I was talking about. I agree with it and I think it's much more well thought out then my junction crap. Anyways, a bunch of cities can be seen and if you glitch out, which there are a lot of ways to glitch, you can drive over and you will see they aren't just part of scenery. Cities go on for miles, which is strange because scenery should only be a few buildings and then complete nothingness behind it... It's as if... Carbon was the original planned NFS World, with canyons to bridge the cities.

The cities seen from the Canyons are...
Carbons beta city 'Mystery City' which was replaced with this newer map of Carbon.
Bayview (if you glitch, you'll notice the airport, harbour and features seen in the actual city).
Rockport's Candem Beach.
Others will be added soon after more research.
Thank you for reading :)
NFS : Carbon is my current Let's Play.
Conquer ALL the cities!
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Mystery City

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well, as much I don't want to burst your bubble, this Mystery City thing doesn't make much sense. Because in reality, the cities in NFS games (such as Olympic City, Bayview, Rockport, etc.) are just maps created by the devs in order for the game to exist. Everything you can see by exploiting glitches are just leftovers, things that the devs planned and created up to a point, but then decided they would not use it for the game release. They could be thinking DLC content or it's just cut content that didn't make it to the final game but is still present in the game files. This happens a lot, mainly because removing cut content can take a lot of work and time, and can even end up screwing other content because of shared files (such as textures). So the devs usually hide that content, and it's only available when players find map escapes or other glitches.

A lot of the stuff we see in the distance in the NFS cities are simply textures placed within the game's skybox to give the impression that there is more world beyond what the player can see. More on this: "A skybox is a method of creating backgrounds to make a computer and video games level look bigger than it really is. When a skybox is used, the level is enclosed in a cuboid; and the sky, distant mountains, distant buildings, and other unreachable objects are projected onto the cube's faces (using a technique called cube mapping), thus creating the illusion of distant three-dimensional surroundings."

A lot of games use this. NFS is no different. So, that theory that all cities are connected is a nice one, it's good to imagine stuff, but it has no sense because that's not real. Of course there are connections between the games, Underground and Underground 2, or Most Wanted and Carbon. You see returning characters and other stuff. But there is no actual, real, connection between all the cities, because they are just maps from different games. Maybe, at one point, EA really wanted to join all cities in one. I guess that would be NFS: World. But they ended up not doing it and, as such, that doesn't exist. Only it's cool to imagine so. :)
AssistantAero
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AssistantAero »

Exactly. Just fun to imagine about. My only reason for posting this was so other people in the community could imagine with me. I'm into most creepypastas, and because of this-anything like this can freak me out if I'm reading it in the dark, and it interests me why it does that. Mystery City hasn't got anything Scary about it, but why do I think that it does? That's why I started all of it. That creepy feeling where you want to know all about something that scares you for no other reason that you don't want you. If that didn't make any sense, I'll read anything that'll scare the sh*t out of me just to make fun of myself. I don't know why I do this, but it's entertaining. I know about the skybox and the grid and the beta worlds. But imagine it-it looks almost exactly like Bayview. The harbour (coal harbour), which is the closest and most likely the first thing you see when you notice the city because of the big cranes. The huge mountains (Jackson heights) and bacon view... Uh, beacon view. :P You get my point. I know all of this, but I want everyone to see what's in my mind and add to it so I know everything. Once I start something, I don't stop till it's done. Which is why I got Carbon. Conquer ALL the cities one-by-one ;D
Conquer ALL the cities!
AssistantAero
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AssistantAero »

You know how dissapointing that is... Look at all the cutscenes. The intro race where Darius lends you his Supra-the envoirnment and city looks so awesome! Need for speed Carbon would've been the first NFS to have a map bigger then most Grand theft auto maps... Why black box?! Not to mention that there was a theory that you could win the mitsubishi lancer only one way: beating the scorpio crew boss. People say scorpio had so much attention that it was going to recieve but then was cut. Specifically the Lancer. Imagine beating him/her, getting a pink slip and pwning it up using the crew car....
Conquer ALL the cities!

Return to “Carbon”