Pro Street Drag Tuning

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed ProStreet.
Be sure to search first!
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Pro Street Drag Tuning

Post by WonkaVW »

So I've run into a wall with my drag car and I would like to get some opinions on how to fix it. Basically I've got it (Cobalt SS) upgraded completely to tier 2 performance and my problem is that I'm running through my gears way too fast. I've tried setting them all to pretty much as tall as they can go, but I'm still running through them so fast I can't hit perfect shifts. My 1st gear is nearly non-existent, I almost have to double shift out of neutral. I've also tried upping the final drive a bit, it's about 75% towards top speed. Cam timing is also about 60% towards top speed. With these problems, the best time I can get is about 11.90ish. I know that if I fix this problem I should be able to hit high 10's.

Any thoughts on how to tune it?
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Pro Street Drag Tuning

Post by YaelDjiel »

maybe try another car? :lol:
running 8.5 with my 240sx(380bhp), pretty much stock tuning
first 2 gears are a bit hard to get right, but damn its fast!
toplessrx7
Ricer
Ricer

Post by toplessrx7 »

I had the same problem with the Colbalt, so I sold it and got close to $50K and then one of the prize cars (BMW M3 E46), changed it to a Drag Car, put about $100K into it and my first event, I ran 9.41, 8.94, & 8.99. I beat the target time by almost 3 sec. and the next competitor by a full second. So there is your answer, do like I did and dump the Cobalt!
AT350Kobra
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AT350Kobra »

People on another forum were having the same problem with the Cobalt. Get a better car thats what they did.
GT: ILLUMINATIDRE
Won't remove this until I get my Px4 Storm
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

Thanks for the help, I'll ditch the thing and grab what I had wanted anyway ('03 Mustang)
toplessrx7
Ricer
Ricer

Post by toplessrx7 »

Did a little more tuning on the M3 that is my drag car now and the next drag event all three runs were in the 8.70's! Max grip on 2 of the 3 burnouts and 3.5 seconds ahead of target times. I can believe I toiled and beat myself up on tuning the Cobalt, but I have myself a strong machine now!!! Wonka, good luck with the Mustang. Let me know how your times progress! Oh, send me down some Tim Hortons!
hardvibes00
Ricer
Ricer

Post by hardvibes00 »

I sold that stupid cobalt and bought a SUPRA, I tuned the suspensions, gears and stuff....now the best I can do with it is 7.71-7.90!
edit, actually my record is 7.44 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ ... 1195239277
toplessrx7
Ricer
Ricer

Post by toplessrx7 »

7.44 is real strong! I just turned a 7.99 in my M3 E45. Up to 800 HP and looking for more!!!
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

heh.. pretty funny how my 459bhp 240sx already does 7.71 :mrgreen:
toplessrx7
Ricer
Ricer

Post by toplessrx7 »

I know. I am already looking to upgrade. On the 1/2 mi. drag, getting beat by 1/2 second by Supras & Skylines. Oh well, woe is me. Time to back up and punt!
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

toplessrx7 wrote:Wonka, good luck with the Mustang. Let me know how your times progress! Oh, send me down some Tim Hortons!
Thanks, I just gotta figure out how to make the dough now. Pro Street doesn't seem nearly as forgiving to sudden vehicle choices as Carbon was. My Skyline R34 is also in serious need of money dumping, so I may need to focus there.

Any tips on how to set the start/end boost? I've been leaving the start boost on default and sliding the end boost up a bit to gain high rpm boost, is this a good practice?

Send up some orange Fanta and you've got yourself some Hortons 8)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

YaelDjiel wrote:heh.. pretty funny how my 459bhp 240sx already does 7.71 :mrgreen:
Sounds glitchy for some reason, I'm having trouble getting my 780+bhp or so Supra under 9 seconds.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

could also be that the Supra weighs more than the 240
Brutu5
Stock
Stock

Post by Brutu5 »

Funnily i found the old charger good spent about 30k on it and i was running in the mid low 9's. and i badly needs tuning coz the gearing is all over the place and ony has stage 1 nos
Dillyracer
Stock
Stock

Post by Dillyracer »

Brutu5 wrote:Funnily i found the old charger good spent about 30k on it and i was running in the mid low 9's. and i badly needs tuning coz the gearing is all over the place and ony has stage 1 nos
Well, I bought the old Charger, and I bought Stage 3 engine and stage 3 supercharger package, but I still was running 10 seconds. It's all about getting the power on the ground, so I would recommand to buy the suspension package and tire package. I'm running 7 seconds now :)
hardvibes00
Ricer
Ricer

Post by hardvibes00 »

peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Got 6.84. Still room for improvement, because last shift wasn't perfect.
Attachments
drag_.jpg
hardvibes00
Ricer
Ricer

Post by hardvibes00 »

peeter90 wrote:Got 6.84. Still room for improvement, because last shift wasn't perfect.
WITH A GTO?? NO FUC.KING WAY
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Made some minor tweaks and got 6.65 just now.
Attachments
drag_2.jpg
toplessrx7
Ricer
Ricer

Post by toplessrx7 »

Well, I have beaten the "Drag King"! I sold my M3 E45 and bought a Shelby GT500 (New Body) and built a monster. Also, after winning a competition got a stage 4 engine for the car and that just bumped it up even more. Was kinda suprised how easy it was to beat the "Drag King". Wheelie Competition, 1/2 mi drag and 1/4 mi drag. It was no competition. Disappointed that the AI Skill was low, but happy to get that section completed.
olibloodmage
Stock
Stock

Post by olibloodmage »

could you guys please tell me how you tune your gears ? i can't score very good times with my hemi cuda. my best was 7.98, but i usually land the 1/4 mile in around 8.4 secs.
i would VERY MUCH appreciate if you guys could print screen, or at least tell me how you tune your cars (especially the gears). i got about 950 nm and 860bph, and i really dont want to change my 'cuda :)
thanks for the help
Brutu5
Stock
Stock

Post by Brutu5 »

They vary between cars, see which gears take a while to rev up and make them shorter. Also advancing the timing of the engine could help.

P.S. upgraded my charger a couple of days ago. Now running 7.10-7.20. And 1300ft wheelies
senzr
Ricer
Ricer

Post by senzr »

Here's a little tip on drag suspension tuning.

I just thought to apply a little real world tuning tricks to see if they'd work in the game with mixed results. If the card is FWD, stiffen the rear suspension and soften the front. The logic is that all the weight transfers to the rear of a car during a drag launch, which is a bad thing for FWD cars, so stiffening the rear helps keep more weight on the front for longer. For RWD, do the opposite and soften the rear relative to the front. Should be similar for AWD cars.

I've only managed to apply this on my FWD Civic in the game, and it managed to shave off a precious few tenths.

BTW, has anyone noticed how screwy and inconsistent the "dyno runs" are in the game? Just moving one slider one notch seems to throw the dyno charts off and decrease the HP. I can never seem to match the pretuned blueprints for power and strip times in the blueprint summary.
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

It's very odd that Dyno Test and Blueprint Summary give different results. What is problem with that?
xaccidx
Stock
Stock

Post by xaccidx »

I changed all boost tuning to full on my stage 3 supra and got 1048 hp thats a raw 6 cylinder engine. I love the sound of it! :evil:

Return to “Help & Support”