Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by baumaxx1 »

prince1142003 wrote:Ghosting like that indicates a faulty cable in most cases. Does moving the cable, scrunching it, or twisting it have any effect?

If you can get a hold of a good quality cable, see if that makes a difference. Also, if you have another computer you can plug the monitor into, try that as well.

Is your monitor a CRT by any chance? You should try degaussing it and see if that has any effect.
Umm... I actually have an extension cable... I made it worse by fiddling... but then I took it apart and put it back together, and it's still ghosting a bit. And it's an LCD. I don't have another computer, but I think it was happening on a laptop I used it on. Is interference possible? because the cable runs past a powerboard? Other than that, still happens.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Interference is definitely possible. It sounds like it might be the cable's fault, so I suggest trying a new cable with better sheilding on it.

Also, did this just start happening, or has been happening for the monitor's lifetime?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

prince1142003 wrote:Interference is definitely possible. It sounds like it might be the cable's fault, so I suggest trying a new cable with better sheilding on it.

Also, did this just start happening, or has been happening for the monitor's lifetime?
A year or so... maybe more, sometimes there was strange lines, but yep possibly interference, and it's happened on numerous PCs and Videocards. If so... more expensive cables = better shielded? I think this one only does VGA, but I'm looking at picking up a full HD 22" that does HDMI and DVI. DVI would be good? My PC doesn't have HDMI at the moment.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

If your monitor supports DVI, try that. If not, try a different VGA cable. It might be your monitor itself that's causing the problem. But just to rule out our PC, try plugging it into a different monitor.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

prince1142003 wrote:If your monitor supports DVI, try that. If not, try a different VGA cable. It might be your monitor itself that's causing the problem. But just to rule out our PC, try plugging it into a different monitor.
It's not the PC, it's happened on multiple rigs. And hopefully I get my E2200HD soon.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

baumaxx1 wrote:I think this one only does VGA, but I'm looking at picking up a full HD 22" that does HDMI and DVI. DVI would be good? My PC doesn't have HDMI at the moment.
Hey, cool... you took my advice, or was it a typo? :lol:

Anyway, this happened all to much with my old monitor (VGA-) haven't had any problems with this new one, but I never used the crappy DVI that came with it. It's a beastly $40 cord that we got free with our old TiVo lol.

Anyway, the problem with some older and smaller monitor is that the cord is built into the monitor, since it's an LCD I don't really know, this 22" is actually the first I've used extensively. I'll admit that I don't know as much as prince in the topic, but I'd try increasing your monitor's refresh rate, since that also used to happen on some old monitor's I had, and this seemed to help. (These were CRT however, like I said, not really an LCD expert or something, I just picked mine because of HDMI, cheap price, and it's 2ms response time.)
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Gah... the monitor was sold out. But picked up a 9600GT to make sure it'll run nicely... and a new PSU because the old one is screwed... :lol:

Oh... and the ghosting's the cable... I've seen it on 4 different GFX cards and 3 PCs, lol.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Just a question: How can I figure out the specs on my computer?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

My computer right click properties & GFX in display properties.
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

I'm about to replace my laptop's Windows Vista Home with Windows XP Pro. Both are bought (with a discount because of the college I go to), so there shouldn't be any legal problems... I'm trying to be ready for any issues that might come along, so I'm just asking any of you guys is there anything I should pay attention to beside:

- I didn't slipstream the SATA driver on my XP installation, because I've read that you can simply disable SATA, enable ATA, install XP, and afterwards put it back to SATA (resolves the 'No HDD found' error I once had before, on a friend's PC)
Is this ok? Or should I slipstream?

- Downloaded (from the hp site) and labeled drivers (xp variants) for chipset, display, network (I plan to install them in the same order)

- I have a HP backup DVD if anything goes wrong - restores all settings and OS

- still gotta backup my all-and-everything South Park collection :)

So am I good to go? I'm getting annoyed by vista and it's constant black-outs... The computer is HP Compaq 6820s
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Other than the SATA thing which I havent a clue for, sounds like a straightforward operation.

Good luck trashing vista home and moving to XP! :D
korge
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Slipstream the sata driver if you can. (worst case: don't slipstream -> disable sata and install -> enable sata and the system won't boot -> redo).

Otherwise you look all set (chipset should indeed be the first to install). Make sure you have backups of all your important stuff (emails, my docs, etc.)
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

ok then, thanks, see you both through xp soon
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I got my Quad core Q9450 and a new Gigabyte mobo, but I seem to keep getting BSODs every time that I try to multitask. minutes. This is on XP and the only reason I could imagine this is happening is because of me overclocking it to 3.2 instead of the 2.66, but I have the 2nd best rated CPU air cooler and 3.2 is reachable on the stock Intel one. I used to have AMD but now Intel. Maybe the switch has screwed up my XP installation, because whenever I try to multitask, it crashes. Also, my startup screen shows 3.20GHz, but in Windows, the Gigabyte EasyTune tool and DXDiag shows 2.66GHz. Any ideas? I raised my clock speed to 400 instead of the usual 333. The temps are fine aswell.

Should I try and see if I still have any drivers from my old Mobo and CPU left? I didn't really install anything for them. XP is running fine apart from the BSOD issues...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I has a seemingly USB-related problem with my desktop PC: Recently, my graphics tablet stopped working, though I'm not sure exactly when this started, as there was a period of about a month where I hadn't used it. The drawing surface doesn't work, though the shortcut keys on the tablet work just fine, but the whole tablet works flawlessly on my laptop. Similarly, a new USB keyboard I got for my birthday works just fine with my laptop, but isn't even being recognized on my desktop. Neither of which work in any of the USB ports on my desktop, though all my other USB devices are working fine. So, either the problem is with the USB, or with the tablet/keyboard.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

drivrs

Wacom?
korge
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Yeah, it's a Wacom Bamboo Fun, which I've reinstalled drivers for several times.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Check your device manager. See if there are any errors with your USB ports.

Ive had this problem before but dont remember what I did to fix it. I just tried and tried and one day my USB works. :P
korge
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Nope, checked the Device Manager, tried reinstalling/checking for new USB drivers, all that jazz. :?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

My BSOD issue was fixed. I set the 2.66 back. =*(
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Stereo wrote:My BSOD issue was fixed. I set the 2.66 back. =*(
Wait for Vellu to get on. He is superhelper. :D
korge
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Did you increase your vcore?

Anyways, if many other Q9450s are capable of reaching that speed, it unfortunately doesn't mean yours will do it as well.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

After going back to 2.66 it's running flawlessly. I don't know why it crashes at 3.2, because my cooler is REALLY good. Right next to the Thermalright one. I don't think it has anything to do with temps...
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Voltage, memory divider?

If you changed the settings properly and the temps were good, then you're probably out of luck.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

The only thing I changed was the clock speed. I didn't know what else to change...

Return to “The Hardware & Software”