VTEC -> i-VTEC -> ....uhh..... A-VTEC (Advance VTEC) ?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

VTEC -> i-VTEC -> ....uhh..... A-VTEC (Advance VTEC) ?

Post by MarlboroMan »

Honda has announced it’s next generation VTEC engine, the Advanced VTEC engine (AVTEC) which will make it’s debut in a production car within the next three years. Honda’s new Advanced VTEC (AVTEC) engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of valve timing to achieve a good combination of better performance, fuel economy, and lower emissions. This is an improvement over the i-VTEC system which has preset changeover settings in valve lift - the new AVTEC system can adjust the valve lift continuously. There is also a variable-length intake manifold to improve intake airflow.

The Advanced VTEC (AVTEC) system allows optimum control over intake valve lift and phase in response to driving conditions for a significant increase in torque across the engine rev range. Under low and medium loads, the valves are set to have low lift and early closure - this reduces pumping losses and subsequently improves fuel economy.

The new AVTEC system will allow for a 13% improvement in fuel economy over the current i-VTEC range of engines. The 13% figure was obtained comparing the current K24A 2.4 liter i-VTEC engine with a new 2.4 liter AVTEC equivalent. Emissions are compliant with US LEV2-ULEV standards and Japanese Low-Emission Vehicles standards with levels 75% lower than 2005 standards.

<Automobiles>
• Achievement and plans for fuel economy improvement for automobiles:
With introduction of the all-new Civic this year, Honda will complete the shift to its next generation i-series engines for almost all models. With VTEC technology at the core, Honda has established distinctive technologies to improve fuel economy, including VCM. As a result, this new series of engines has achieved approximately a 20% improvement in fuel economy.

For the 9th Mid-term, Honda will further advance VTEC technologies, introduce new technologies to control air intake with a continuously variable valve control system, and further advance existing VCM technology. These new technologies will be applied to key models within this Mid-term.

• Advanced VTEC
An advanced VTEC engine, scheduled to be introduced at the end of the 9th Mid-term, dramatically reduces pumping losses by controlling engine aspiration through continuously variable control over the amount of intake valve lift and phase of valve switchover timing. With innovative valve control and control of the length of the intake manifold, combustion efficiency will be increased by 13% compared to current i-VTEC engines.

• Advanced VCM
VCM was first introduced with the Inspire model in 2003. By increasing flexibility in the number of cylinders that are cut off, further advancing variable valve systems and improving the performance of active control engine mounts, the advanced VCM technology should achieve an 11% improvement in fuel economy compared to a Honda V-6 engine.

• Honda will apply these advanced VTEC and VCM technologies to mass-market products by the end of the 9th Mid-term and then expand them to other models as core automobile engine technologies to further improve fuel economy.

Fuel economy improvement goals
Advanced VTEC: 13% improvement (vs. 2005 regular i-VTEC engine)
Advanced VCM: 11% improvement (vs. 2005 Honda V-6 engine)
Attachments
avtecenginehead.jpg
avtec_small.jpg
Last edited by MarlboroMan on 30 Sep 2006, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

is this news posted from the offical honda website or did you find it in a honda unoffical website updated with honda stuff?
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

the 1st half text is unofficial, the second half section where starts from "<automobile>" is from honda official webpage
i found the news on official honda website and continue to search on net from any source that seems reliable with figures identical to the official info.
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

sorry if this info been posted:
Hondatuningmagazine wrote:First it was VTEC. Then it was i-VTEC. Now there's Advaced VTEC, Honda's lastest engine developement. Promising to improve performance while increasing fuel economy and reducing emissions, A-VTEC is an evolution of the orginial VTEC concept-making the engine as efficient as possible. An engine equipped with A-VTEC accomplishes this with a combination of VTEC and the continously variable phase control of VTC(Variable Timing Control). Intake valve lift and phase is optimized in response to every driving conditions. Torque is increased significantly at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel economy. Honda estimates an engine with A-VTEC results in a 13-percent improvement in fuel economy. Exhaust emissions meet LEV2-ULEV regulations or 75 percent lower than those required by the 2005 standards. A production vechile equipped with A-VTEC is expected in 2009, twenty years after Honda first introduced VTEC
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

VTEC- Because you dont need torque ;)
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project

Return to “The Cars”