Post by viper16 »

well is it better in alot of ways compared to the 240
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: TECH TALK - ask your car questions

Post by steelsnake00 »

I dont think you quite understand.
Try this. Admission time. Are you really some 14 year old kid pretending to have a car to be cool, or are you really just thick as feck?
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Does anyone have any info on those new Toyota Tundra commercials being aired? They seem far-fetched, but I've read the fine-print at the bottom of the screen and it says 'professional drivers/courses/structures...actual demonstration...etc...' Not really sure what to make of them. :|

All the videos can be seen here. Specifically 'Ramp', 'Scale', 'See Saw', and there's another one not in there where the truck is hitched to an empty 53' intermodel trailer which is hanging over a cliff, which the Tundra then hauls up.

Either way, the commercials have convinced me - if I were to buy a work truck, I'd almost certainly get a Tundra. :3
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Given the amount of wealth Toyota has, and the size of the US market, I wouldn't be at all suprised if those stunts were real.

But still, it's just a pick-up :-s Don't get sucked in.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Like I said, if I were to get a truck; I'm not gonna go out and buy one just because. ;)
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Re: TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Post by darknight788 »

pfft they dont impress me one bit sure maybe for a half ton they are alright but their reign at the top has already ended. and did you hear about that thing where the engine (5.7L) was eating cam shafts ? did you hear that it got a 4 star frontal crash test rating whereas all of its competitors got 5 star ? if you want a real truck get a 3/4 or 1 ton they have more power at idle than the tundra makes across the entire powerband. in other words its nothing special now chevy and gmc have already passed it up in terms of reliability ford and dodge will soon in 2009 if not sooner. i dont know if you aware of the pickup war going on now but in the end the consumer wins most of the time
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

im 16 and have my license
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:im 16 and have my license
And you've f-cked up a 240SX and want something more powerful?
Fool.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

viper16 wrote:im 16 and have my license
Congratu-firetrucking-lations.
That has nothing to do with auto-mechanics, nor is it a question. :?
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re:

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

viper16 wrote:i hate to say it but before i did it my friends gave me some yaegerbomb (i have no clue as to what it is) and i dont remember alot. and the RB has been put into an S13 thanks to Syko Performance and SR20 Store
Going on this website? I wouldnt trust it. They mention RB26, then say it came from an R33 GTS-T, and then showing pictures of an RB25DET. The RB25 swap has been done hundreds of times...hell, I know 4 people personally who have done it, never mind just others in the UK.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

My dad wamts to buy one of those hand held computers you plug into your truck and gives you more power and allows you to change shift poinst and stuff. He wants to know if its a waste of money
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

nope they are not, i have one for my truck and it is real nice. they give diesel powered vehicles alot more power with different stages some even will raise tq. 200 lb ft more and about 100-150 hp. gassers dont get that lucky but you can expect about 30 more hp and about same amount of torque. on some of them you can tune them to run 87 octane instead of the required 89. your gains will also depend on other mods you have done like a intake and a free flowing exhaust system. brands like superchips even double as a OBD 2 scanner
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

darknight788 wrote:some even will raise tq. 200 lb ft more and about 100-150 hp. gassers dont get that lucky but you can expect about 30 more hp and about same amount of torque.
I lol'd.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

no lie
The Six-Gun Tuner offers the highest proven horsepower and torque—up to +105 hp and +258 lb-ft of ground-chewing power, and with Speed-Loader, up to +126 hp and +290 lb-ft (with recommended Six-Gun Bundle airflow improvements). Six-Gun is Stacked for Power™ to tune timing and fuel pressure, all in one device. No need to buy two competitive products to do what Banks Six-Gun Tuner does on its own! Six-Gun provides six levels of power the user can change on-the-fly by simply turning a dash-mounted knob; and contains a suite of electronic AutoRate™ and ActiveSafety™ features to safeguard the powertrain. Six-Gun is introductory priced at $699, and the Speed-Loader option is $99
straight from banks, you dont think they would lie do you ? and thats just that tuner some give you 300+ lb ft of torque and 200+ hp
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

darknight788 wrote:straight from banks, you dont think they would lie do you ?
Err . . . yes? :roll:

To get that much of a power increase you would have to install all of their supplementary bolt-on mods as well ($$$), and even then I wouldn't be suprised if you were damaging the engine by doing so (generally, all these 'tuning' boxes do is richen the fuel mixture, which means you will be leaving a big cloud of smoke whrever you go). And even then, I'm still doubtful that you will see that sort of power hike. You might get +100hp under 'ideal circumstances' but for the amount of money that was spent, it's really not worth it.

So to answer the original question: Yes.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

LOL, they do a little more than that, increase boost, change shift points, increase fuel pressure, remove t/s limiter, and so on. obviosly if you have one you do not have the stock intake and stock exhaust.
anybody that has ever tuned a diesel engine that is larger than the little economy engines of europe( which is about 0 here)knows that to get the most power you need a tuner period.

also if you have ever been
to bank's headquaters in nevada you cna see what each tune does to say that they would lie is ignorance. have you even used or heard of banks tuning ?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

darknight788 wrote:increase boost
Boost goes up, reliability goes down. Especially with stock parts.
darknight788 wrote:change shift points
Oh WOW, I can do that too!!1! It's called a manual transmission. I don't need a computer to substitute a part of my brain.
darknight788 wrote:increase fuel pressure
Related to richer fuel mixture.

Although they may not be blatantly lying, their information is very misleading. And you didn't argue the fact that it's not good value for money, and that's what viper16 wanted to know.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

darknight788 wrote:increase boost
Which can be done via a $10 bleed valve, or even to do it properly, via a $150 EBC.
change shift points
*Laughs at Americans and their love for slushboxes*
increase fuel pressure, remove t/s limiter, and so on.
...so its basically like a mappable ECU. A bit like the one thats comes STOCK on my MX5, and also came STOCK on my S13. Woo. :roll:
obviosly if you have one you do not have the stock intake and stock exhaust.
Or brain cells by the sound of it.
anybody that has ever tuned a diesel engine that is larger than the little economy engines of europe( which is about 0 here)knows that to get the most power you need a tuner period.
Thats cute, it really is. Of course, our little economy engines still make the same, yet more reliable power than your larger engines do. Our engines are built to minimal tolerance levels, not like the huge things you yanks throw together from the other side of the room. No wonder your 5litre V8s make 170bhp...

As for diesel tuning, I think youll find the Europeans have been doing it a damned sight longer than you have. :wink:
have you even used or heard of banks tuning ?
No, but then I wouldnt modify a truck. And if I ever did, I probably wouldnt trust a company who uses unfounded ''proof'' that their tuning packages release more power than theyre actually capable of.

Give me an E-Manage or Power FC anyday.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

you have never heard of them ? retards you europeans are some joke. your little weedwacker engines are nothing. all they are good for is fuel economy and thats it. and incase you dont know this is a different type of diesel tuning obviously one you have never heard of or even seen for that matter. a good value ? huh lets see i get 25 mpg in eco mode ... good value ? hmm not sure :roll: and the unfounded proof can be found on a dyno ... der if you have never heard of them how can you question their practices anybody that is into tuning diesels knows who/what banks engineering is and they are most likely the best tuner in the world period.

@viper, dont listen to them they dont know what they are talking about, your dad would be very happy with the increase and fuel economy with one. just make sure he gets a brand name one like superchips,banks,edge,bullydog. As proof of what banks does everyday take for example jay leno's v12 tank car. started out with 810 hp and 1560 lb ft of torque. when Gale banks himself was done tuning it, it produced 1600 hp and over 3000 lb ft of torque. they did have to clam it down a biut though so that the car would just do a huge burnout.

and o yea one more thing i know you two are from europe so you probably havent heard but the recent advances in slushboxes have actually made them better for towing in light/medium duty trucks. trust me it is no fun shifting a 6 speed geared for heavy towing .... just not the best tranny for acceleration ya know
jaycubzz
Ricer
Ricer

Post by jaycubzz »

darknight788 wrote: just make sure he gets a brand name one like superchips,banks,edge,bullydog.
hehe dont forget NADP! :D
I DONT LIKE SIGNATURES! ARRRRRRRGGHHH!
i dont know how to make them, anyway
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

yes ! thats the one i forgot, i knew i forgot one but i couldnt remember. did you see the video of the 10 second ram ? its damn quick for a truck . :twisted:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

darknight788 wrote:retards you europeans are some joke (. . .) and o yea one more thing i know you two are from europe
Wow, it didn't take you long to retaliate with insults. You are obviously straining under the pressure, knowing that you are wrong, and now all you can do is call us names.

And can I ask, who is more retarded? Us, or the person who is so ignorant that he never realised that I'm not European? I only changed my avatar recently, so you've had plenty of time to notice.
darknight788 wrote:your little weedwacker engines are nothing. all they are good for is fuel economy and thats it.
Do I have to put 'retarded' and 'ignorant' into the same paragraph again?
darknight788 wrote:a good value ? huh lets see i get 25 mpg in eco mode ... good value ? hmm not sure :roll:
25mpg is supposed to be good? :-s And what sort of economy do you get with the wick turned up? 3mpg? My car will beat 25mpg whether I thrash it or not. And how does fuel economy represent good value? We are talking about a performance modification after all.
darknight788 wrote:der if you have never heard of them how can you question their practices
That in itself is a perfect reason to question them.
darknight788 wrote:anybody that is into tuning diesels knows who/what banks engineering is and they are most likely the best tuner in the world period.
Fanboy?
darknight788 wrote:As proof of what banks does everyday take for example jay leno's v12 tank car. started out with 810 hp and 1560 lb ft of torque. when Gale banks himself was done tuning it, it produced 1600 hp and over 3000 lb ft of torque.
And what can it do with all that power? Nothing. A burnout perhaps, but that doesn't even involve moving forwards.

By the way, 1600hp from 29.5 litres is a fairly poor effort. A 27 litre Merlin will make 3000hp easily, just as an example.
darknight788 wrote:so you probably havent heard but the recent advances in slushboxes have actually made them better for towing in light/medium duty trucks. trust me it is no fun shifting a 6 speed geared for heavy towing .... just not the best tranny for acceleration ya know
Why would you car about acceleration whilst you are towing?

Also, a torque converter works most efficiently at lower rpms. Using that tuning thing to alter the shift points, which I presume is to make it hold gears for longer, is only making the truck less efficient than it already was.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

darknight788 wrote:you have never heard of them ? retards you europeans are some joke. your little weedwacker engines are nothing. all they are good for is fuel economy and thats it.
Lets face it, us retard Europeans and the Japanese can extract 400bhp from a toaster these days, and still make it reliable and economical. You couldnt do it with 50 years R&D, an unlimited bugdet, less than 8 litres and a guide on how to do it written by a European.
and incase you dont know this is a different type of diesel tuning obviously one you have never heard of or even seen for that matter.
Oh, a different kind of tuning, oh that explains it. :roll: :lol:
a good value ? huh lets see i get 25 mpg in eco mode ... good value ? hmm not sure
Only a Yank would brag about 25mpg. I get more than that at 8000rpm.
and the unfounded proof can be found on a dyno ... der if you have never heard of them how can you question their practices anybody that is into tuning diesels knows who/what banks engineering is and they are most likely the best tuner in the world period.
...LMAO. So good, no one but you has heard of them.
just make sure he gets a brand name one like superchips,banks,edge,bullydog.
Theres some proof. Proof you dont know what youre talking about that is.
As proof of what banks does everyday take for example jay leno's v12 tank car. started out with 810 hp and 1560 lb ft of torque. when Gale banks himself was done tuning it, it produced 1600 hp and over 3000 lb ft of torque. they did have to clam it down a biut though so that the car would just do a huge burnout.
Whoopee. Lets crack out the party hats and cocktail sausages.
and o yea one more thing i know you two are from europe so you probably havent heard but the recent advances in slushboxes have actually made them better for towing in light/medium duty trucks. trust me it is no fun shifting a 6 speed geared for heavy towing .... just not the best tranny for acceleration ya know
First of all, Australia isnt in Europe. Secondally, generally if someone outside the US cares about acceleration, they generally wouldnt bother buying a truck. Third, those ''recent'' advances are only recent in the US, the Japanese have been making excellent auto-boxes for years.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Heh, this is fun :P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »