Talk about NFS - SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
reputated
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by reputated »

so this is the new game EA's goona make. What do you think about the game from the current info. available?
Some pursue happpiness; others create it
superr8
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by superr8 »

i really think that EA wont do a great job . because of existence of many racing simulation games like RACE DRIVER GRID that have more boil i think.
after that EA wasnt successful through pro street version wiche was a semi simulation game.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

I'm expecting a decent game... SHIFT looks like a ProStreet 2 which I don't think I'll like but if they do it right, it might turn good.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I really don't know if it's going to turn out a decent game or another shiznit game. :?

After everything that EA has done with the last NFS games, nobody can actually predict... they have chances of doing a good game now, specially because Blackbox is not the only team working on the title. But they also have lots of chances of (again) turning a good looking game to a shiznit game.

I think I'll just wait for the release lol. I hope it's good, NFS series deserve a good game by now! And it looks similar to Race Driver GRID, which is an excellent game, so I'm having a feeling that this NFS might be good too. We will see...
aryamen
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aryamen »

The NFS series really caught my attention, when Hot Pursuit was released some years ago. The speed, the soundtrack, the car-list etc. was to me a revolution in the racing genre. I remember going to the store getting nfs for my pc, playstation and xbox! Later on, the Underground era was born with the illegal street racing and styling vehicles etc. I liked it! So when I think of NFS today, I really think Hot Pursuit/Underground...

From that moment on, the nfs series has not been as good as it once was. I have to say (and I know people will disagree) that ProStreet (even though it wasn't perfect) was a good game and a nice turn of events. Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover...not so much, even though they are similar to Hot Pursuit. I hate the cops in the game because they are soooo annoying unlike Hot Pursuit.

Now Shift...from the pics I've seen, it looks like we finally get to view the interior of the cars. I'm thinking/hoping Project Gotham Racing approach. Not much can be said at this point other than guesstimates but I'm hoping for a proper NFS game unlike the Undercover which I think was a quickly assembled and poorly optimized game.
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
2GB DDR-RAM
nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512MB
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

aryamen wrote: From that moment on, the nfs series has not been as good as it once was. I have to say (and I know people will disagree) that ProStreet (even though it wasn't perfect) was a good game and a nice turn of events.
I don't disagree with you there. I liked ProStreet, I think it was a good change. I was a bit bored of cops, free-roam and other things. I was like fresh air. Still the game had its problems... a few tuning parts (just look at Carbon, it had autosculpt but it had a nice bunch of tuning parts (except bumpers), a bad graphical optimization and a lot of repetitive tracks. Other than that, I liked it... played with a wheel and it's way better... although sometimes the handling pissed me off. Oh and the physics were great for crashes lol.

Most Wanted was a great game for me, no doubt the best since the NFS games turned to be about tuning and street racing. Carbon was not bad, it was alright. Undercover is just the worst game I played in 2008, the worst NFS ever and to me one of the worst racing games I've played.

You ever played Porsche Unleashed? That's the only NFS that I remember having cockpit view... and it was damn detailed. The game was released in 2000, so eh, 9 years later we get a cockpit view again. xD
aryamen
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aryamen »

Yeah, 9 full years...

You mention some good points about ProStreet and Undercover. I feel like the AI especially in Undercover is really stupid and as I mentioned earlier, it feels like the cops are always on to you. Another (small) thing is, try hitting the reverse button to drive the car backwards...what do you get - a big cloud of smoke coming off the tyres. It's like the car is strapped to a tree in the front and is trying to get away.

Bring more styling options to the game...more like Underground - less like Undercover. I like to paint the exhaust tip if I suddenly feel like going mad, I want neon, headlight styling. I like japanese styling!

These are some of the things that should be considered and hopefully fixed in the upcoming game "SHIFT".
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
2GB DDR-RAM
nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512MB
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

NFSII had a *very pixellated but still viewable* cockpit view...

And I'm bored of NFS. I'd rather just hype the s*** out of Gran Turismo 5. That's gonna be the shiz.
Nitrocide
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nitrocide »

I think that Shift is going to be awesome, i loved ProStreet and thought that it was one of the best NFS games since Most Wanted, 10 times better than Carbon and Undercover. So i'm expecting a good game here too. I just hope that this game has drifting, and I hope that they include real life teams such as Team Orange and Rhys Millen Racing like in GRID.
*sig deleted for being too big. limits are 550x120px and 50kb*
Cipher
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Cipher »

Im gonna get it, just to increase my gamerscore
=P
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Uh-huh... you know you wanna' try it like the rest of us. :mrgreen:
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:NFSII had a *very pixellated but still viewable* cockpit view...

And I'm bored of NFS. I'd rather just hype the s*** out of Gran Turismo 5. That's gonna be the shiz.
You can't compare Gran Turismo to NFS. They're completely different. (Gran Turismo being much better lately but w/e)

NFS is currently about the street racing, speed and intensity. SHIFT, even if it might turn out good will NEVER be GT5.
An aliban
Stock
Stock

Post by An aliban »

Ok, SHIFT. Another nfs game, i can't say if i think it's going to be good or not because there hasn't really been any info released on it apart from that picture. But to me it all looks a bit, Race driver GRID-ish. Like, thinking about nfs underground and underground 2, they were really hardcore street racing games, the cut-scenes, the car customization, the racing at night in a believable city, it all just felt like good proper street racing. But after underground 2, i felt it gradually started to lose the standard street racer feeling, all the racing in the day, being personally tied-up with the police, the environment, it just didn't feel right. I mean the involvement of the police was OK, but they became to involved in the newer games, which is one of the reasons why it lost its street racing atmosphere.

Basically, what i'm saying is, i really think EA should go back to square one, take Nfs underground and modernise it. Just keep the old illegal street racing feel to it, the same atmosphere, the cars that street racers could actually afford and not all that exotic sportscar rubbish and race at night like all the real street racers do for god sake! Also think about all the styling, Undercover; 3 bodykits for each car. Fair enough, it does have a wide selection of rims (possibly the only good point about the customization.) And a lot of crappy vinyls you couldn't even mirror. Underground; Over 15 different bumpers (front rear and back), wide selection of lights (front and back), NEONS! Decent decals, loads of vinyls, just everything was great, had the perfect street racer feel to it.

I know this will probably never get through to EA, but at least someone take it in and consider it, because if you think about it, if you compare Undercover and Underground, you'll realize the massive gap between the two, their both at different ends, and in my opinion, i don't like the end that Undercover is at, i liked the end which Underground was at, and to be honest, that's were EA should have stayed.

Peace out.

P.S When you get the chance, click on the underground link on the homepage, and just read the extract it has from some website, it sums up how succesful it was. :wink:
Xbox live Gamertag: An aliban
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiPaI8LMfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z98932zIQmI

Graphics look like Undercover shaders meet the race track.
korge
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

you have a very strong point and i do partially agree. what about ProStreet? i personally didn't like the game at all for the reasons you mentioned. nothing's illegal. but at the same time, you have to understand that they had to test what we (the gamers) would think of these new games. for example: you don't like Undercover, you want a "new" Underground. EA observes all of these comments. if enough of them add up, i guarentee the next games will be more like Underground. it's all about spreading the word.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

you have a very strong point and i do partially agree. what about ProStreet? i personally didn't like the game at all for the reasons you mentioned. nothing's illegal. but at the same time, you have to understand that they had to test what we (the gamers) would think of these new games. for example: you don't like Undercover, you want a "new" Underground. EA observes all of these comments. if enough of them add up, i guarentee the next games will be more like Underground. it's all about spreading the word. once that is done and EA understands where their customers stand, they can better gear their games toward us so we can better enjoy the games they spend countless hours to make.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

EA needs to listen its fan-base more often. i joined yesterday and i've already seen so many good ideas. it may be hipcritical (which i can't stand) but ProStreet was...ok. I thought it was cool that they added so many new cars like the Challenger and Camaro concepts. but i also agree that there are too many cars over 100,000 (in real-life) like the ever-stunnig Bugatti Veyron 16.4 or the Lambo LP640. they do need more "rice burners" so to speak.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Did they decide to only make this one? And no Nitro and World online?
Anyway, I'm optimistic about this game, I mean they've hired Slightly Mad Studio and they've got Blimey. I really hope this turns out as a good simulator. A sim with nice graphics ftw. I like simulators. If they make it an arcade again, then I'm not interested at all.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

topsy kret1 wrote:EA needs to listen its fan-base more often.
The problem is that the fan-base is so huge now that there are 2 big groups and both claim a new type of game.

You have the old school players who want again a NFS like Hot Pursuit or High Stakes (anything pre-Underground). Then you have another group of players, who want games like Underground, Most Wanted, etc.

And you might even have another group who wants games like ProStreet.

So it's impossible for EA to create a game that will satisfy everyone. That's the problem when you have such different games over so many years... personally I wouldn't mind a well done Underground 3 or Most Wanted 2. But a Porsche Unleashed remake would be fantastic in my opinion, and a Hot Pursuit III would be phenomenal too. I kinda agree with this idea of doing different games, and see what's best. The only problem with EA lately is that they don't work on their games, they just recycle everything up and it's a complete mess. They don't innovate, they don't test the games, they don't care.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Porsche Unleashed was great! And a Hot Pursuit 3 would be nice too. But I think a simulation would be even better.
XCROSSX
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by XCROSSX »

I would really like if they would make a game that would include both street and track racing. I'd like it to be a sim, or to have at least the handling from Juiced (1). And, it would be also nice to have Ferraris so I could smoke'em with my Corvette. :twisted:
GT3x24x7 wrote:I don't get why the word 'irony' has nothing to do with metallurgy.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Look, all of you complaining about how SHIFT is straying away from the illegal aspect of Undeground. EA is releasing World Online for you guys! With cops! And illegal racing! Go drool over there and leave SHIFT alone. No one's forcing it on you.

I like where SHIFT is headed. It reminds me of Porsche Unleashed in many ways, and PU is my all time favorite pre-Underground game. I even like the fact that some level of customization seems to be there in the game. Of course, with a game like this the simulation vs. arcade aspect of the gameplay will play a massive role. If a Nissan 240SX handles the same as a Nissan GT-R, there'll be problems. I don't want a full simulation, but I don't want Undercover's physics, or ProStreet's drift physics. So far I'm drooling over just the graphics. We'll see if SHIFT can satisfy my already low expectations of an NFS.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

prince1142003 wrote:Look, all of you complaining about how SHIFT is straying away from the illegal aspect of Undeground. EA is releasing World Online for you guys! With cops! And illegal racing! Go drool over there and leave SHIFT alone. No one's forcing it on you.

I like where SHIFT is headed. It reminds me of Porsche Unleashed in many ways, and PU is my all time favorite pre-Underground game. I even like the fact that some level of customization seems to be there in the game. Of course, with a game like this the simulation vs. arcade aspect of the gameplay will play a massive role. If a Nissan 240SX handles the same as a Nissan GT-R, there'll be problems. I don't want a full simulation, but I don't want Undercover's physics, or ProStreet's drift physics. So far I'm drooling over just the graphics. We'll see if SHIFT can satisfy my already low expectations of an NFS.
That summarizes my sentiments identically. :)
korge
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

Well, I'd like it to be a full simulation. I like the real deal and I like games to be like the real deal.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

peterfaj wrote:Well, I'd like it to be a full simulation. I like the real deal and I like games to be like the real deal.
i agree.
XCROSSX wrote:I would really like if they would make a game that would include both street and track racing. I'd like it to be a sim, or to have at least the handling from Juiced (1). And, it would be also nice to have Ferraris so I could smoke'em with my Corvette. :twisted:
i also agree. it took me a while to get used to handling in Juiced. I enjoyed the challenge.

Hydro_PT wrote:
The problem is that the fan-base is so huge now that there are 2 big groups and both claim a new type of game.

You have the old school players who want again a NFS like Hot Pursuit or High Stakes (anything pre-Underground). Then you have another group of players, who want games like Underground, Most Wanted, etc.

And you might even have another group who wants games like ProStreet.

So it's impossible for EA to create a game that will satisfy everyone. That's the problem when you have such different games over so many years... personally I wouldn't mind a well done Underground 3 or Most Wanted 2. But a Porsche Unleashed remake would be fantastic in my opinion, and a Hot Pursuit III would be phenomenal too. I kinda agree with this idea of doing different games, and see what's best. The only problem with EA lately is that they don't work on their games, they just recycle everything up and it's a complete mess. They don't innovate, they don't test the games, they don't care.[/quote]

i honestly don't care. i just want another game. you do have a very strong point. if you rebuild on a game, you shouldn't recycle entire concepts. maybe just bits and pieces. like the Autosculpt feature. in Carbon, i thought it was the coolest thing. i want them to keep that feature. it allows you to modify your car how you want it. plus, i want more gamerscore :)

Return to “SHIFT”