NFS franchise now "owned" by Ghost Games

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFS franchise now "owned" by Ghost Games

Post by Hydro_PT »

Criterion Games appears to have relinquished his stewardship of the Need for Speed franchise just one year in, with Swedish developer Ghost Games taking over.

Studio head Marcus Nilsson told VideoGamer that Ghost Games now "owns" Need for Speed and that we won’t see the franchise going back and forth between Criterion and Ghost. "It cannot go from black to white between Black Box and Criterion, and that’s why we’re now thinking about the brand as Ghost owns it," he said. "We’re going to build it, we’re going to build it on Frostbite 3, [and] people will see something they are familiar with every time we release the game. And I think that is the core basis of building a brand; that people know what to expect."

Nilsson said the brand’s previous habit of bouncing between studios and different game types wasn’t "consistent". "When you go from a Shift experience to The Run experience to a Hot Pursuit experience, then it loses credibility. I think we now have the work of re-establishing that credibility with building the brand. You know, it’s still a really strong brand, absolutely. We just need to make sure people know what to expect when they get it, and Rivals is absolutely the first step toward that," he said.

"Need For Speed is not going to go away, right? It’s not the final or last step of that. But what you see in Rivals, a lot of those things will carry on going forward and myself and Rivals will be involved in shaping that."

In June 2012, Criterion told GameInformer it had been nominated as the Need for Speed series developer; it looks like it may be getting out of racers altogether. Its last Need for Speed game was 2012's Most Wanted.
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: NFS franchise now "owned" by Ghost Games

Post by Navid_A1 »

that is to some extent, good news.

btw... does it mean we should say good bye to PC racing simulators with porsche in it?
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

umm...

this stuff is months old...
wicken
Ricer
Ricer

Post by wicken »

MaxT wrote:umm...

this stuff is months old...
No it isn't, it was announced just a few days ago. You are confusing this with the news from last year, I guess EA just can't decide who controls the NFS franchise.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/criterio ... chise.html
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

i'm glad its in different hands now specially for the next-gen of gaming.criterion should just make road rash once and for all, that's definitively a good gig for them and goes along their way of making racing games..just pure metal carnage.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Honestly, I don't see how Ghost Games is any different from Black Box and Criterion. They will still be under orders from EA, and EA will still try to release a new NFS each year and they call the shots, basically. EA simply don't know what they want, it's my opinion. In the last years we saw many different attempts to bring NFS back as major player in the racing genre. And most of these attempts were not successful, at all. They try each year to bring "new" stuff, which ends up as just being "recycled" stuff from previous NFS games. Criterion was supposed to be the all mighty studio that would bring NFS back (whatever that means coming from EA). One year later, they said "that's enough". WTF?

Need For Speed doesn't need a new studio "owning" it. They need the proper owner, EA Games, to actually spend money creating a quality game. I don't care in what engine it runs, or which cars it has, or if it features cops and tuning or not. I want a proper racing game, a quality racing game. And that won't happen. Year after year we get either bad games, or average games. Period. But never good games... and as this keeps on and on, other companies improve their games and make money and take fans away from NFS. Just take Forza or GT has two big examples.
okuhle94
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by okuhle94 »

I'm glad its been moved to Ghost Games only because we will get used to one developers style (handling, graphics, etc).

I really wish EA would allow its developers to spend more time creating one great game instead of average ones every year, as Hydro_PT mentioned. BTW, is Ghost just going to develop NFS games or they going to tackle other games too?
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

i agree completely with Hydro.

i might disagree with Nilsson's criticism that the bouncing around from one developer to another was bad for the series - it showed Need For Speed can be many different things, which is fine - but the reason it was doing this was EA. EA was looking for a winning game (in sales, i mean). they haven't gotten one in a while: not since Carbon/MW 05. in addition, they were trying to take pressure off Black Box, which was putting out worse and worse games because they were forcing it to produce a top-end game every year.

as far as Ghost Games getting this series, cool, but I'll wait until I see how good Rivals and the next couple of NFS games are before deciding if this was a good decision or not.
i have nothing more to add
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Hydro_PT wrote:Honestly, I don't see how Ghost Games is any different from Black Box and Criterion. They will still be under orders from EA, and EA will still try to release a new NFS each year and they call the shots, basically. EA simply don't know what they want, it's my opinion. In the last years we saw many different attempts to bring NFS back as major player in the racing genre. And most of these attempts were not successful, at all. They try each year to bring "new" stuff, which ends up as just being "recycled" stuff from previous NFS games. Criterion was supposed to be the all mighty studio that would bring NFS back (whatever that means coming from EA). One year later, they said "that's enough". WTF?

Need For Speed doesn't need a new studio "owning" it. They need the proper owner, EA Games, to actually spend money creating a quality game. I don't care in what engine it runs, or which cars it has, or if it features cops and tuning or not. I want a proper racing game, a quality racing game. And that won't happen. Year after year we get either bad games, or average games. Period. But never good games... and as this keeps on and on, other companies improve their games and make money and take fans away from NFS. Just take Forza or GT has two big examples.
Honestly , i think the reason why gt and forza have such a high quality , its because there hasn't being a drama about changing the developers constantly and they are constantly improving upon the game while keeping its core features.i think you can create something that's recognizable ,have a trademark, such as the forza and the gt series and you have a winner which is what nilsson its saying. the question its will EA Play that game and strategy?.i'm gonna buy rivals play it and give my verdict on ghost owning the series.most wanted was criterion way out..they did hot pursuit..and while it had its issues ,that was the game that felt like the classics ,and then they remake most wanted and its like f ya'll, here is your burnout we are done.
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

ianism wrote:i agree completely with Hydro.

i might disagree with Nilsson's criticism that the bouncing around from one developer to another was bad for the series - it showed Need For Speed can be many different things, which is fine - but the reason it was doing this was EA. EA was looking for a winning game (in sales, i mean). they haven't gotten one in a while: not since Carbon/MW 05. in addition, they were trying to take pressure off Black Box, which was putting out worse and worse games because they were forcing it to produce a top-end game every year.

as far as Ghost Games getting this series, cool, but I'll wait until I see how good Rivals and the next couple of NFS games are before deciding if this was a good decision or not.
Nowadays its tough to please gamers or consumers.games have become mainstream in all shapes and forms,you have a new generation growing that its all about visuals,gimmicks..ect and less about the gameplay,phylosophy and core of a series,i honestly believe the ambition of pushing video games to the next-level has created a monster that unfortunetly companies/developers don't have control over it.i work in retail so my managers sometimes share with me information about profits and stuff and that monster is the consumer in this case the gamers.the more the developers/publishers pushed gaming or franchise to its paces, the more aggressive and demanding gamers become.if they create that ultimate game that everybody wants which is underground 3 ,people gonna be mad cause its going to be different and they will start nitpicking every nuts and bolts about the game.so ultimately nobody its gonna be happy..the staggering increase in social media and the media itself that's the other monster.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I think this article is also missing from that excerpt:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/need_for_ ... ghost.html

Basically, it talks about how Rivals may impact the creation of a new Underground 3 if people REALLY demand it, but seeing how people ask for it all over the place (youtube included) there's a high chance they create U3 :roll:
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

mmmm so far so Good ...
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

xturbo wrote:I think this article is also missing from that excerpt:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/need_for_ ... ghost.html

Basically, it talks about how Rivals may impact the creation of a new Underground 3 if people REALLY demand it, but seeing how people ask for it all over the place (youtube included) there's a high chance they create U3 :roll:
I would enjoy an UG3, but they would really have to indulge in what street racing is. They would have to learn the different car communities also including your muscle guys, import drag guys, drifters and those who drive on the mountain pass (me :mrgreen: ). Hell, they should ditch autolog and create its own automotive forums within the game.

Maybe with a UG3 we'll finally get a Supra :lol:
Instagram @SupraHKS
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Zotic+ wrote: I would enjoy an UG3, but they would really have to indulge in what street racing is. They would have to learn the different car communities also including your muscle guys, import drag guys, drifters and those who drive on the mountain pass (me :mrgreen: ). Hell, they should ditch autolog and create its own automotive forums within the game.

street racing: a bunch of idiots with cars, driving over the speed limit, ignoring every traffic law possible, more often than not crashing into something.

underground: fictionalization of street racing and misinterpretation of car culture, where apparently putting speakers in the trunk of your car, fake spinny things on your car's rims and neons under your car's chassis is considered "cool" and where driving said car like mentioned above won't attract any police attention nor get you or your car seriously injured or killed. add some soap opera style drama to it and you get NFS Underground. 1 or 2, take your pick.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

MaxT wrote:
Zotic+ wrote: I would enjoy an UG3, but they would really have to indulge in what street racing is. They would have to learn the different car communities also including your muscle guys, import drag guys, drifters and those who drive on the mountain pass (me :mrgreen: ). Hell, they should ditch autolog and create its own automotive forums within the game.

street racing: a bunch of idiots with cars, driving over the speed limit, ignoring every traffic law possible, more often than not crashing into something.

underground: fictionalization of street racing and misinterpretation of car culture, where apparently putting speakers in the trunk of your car, fake spinny things on your car's rims and neons under your car's chassis is considered "cool" and where driving said car like mentioned above won't attract any police attention nor get you or your car seriously injured or killed. add some soap opera style drama to it and you get NFS Underground. 1 or 2, take your pick.
Well actually it was very well interpreted of the era, back when underground came out that was a fad with the import tuner scene. Its similar to the hellaflush scene as of now. Then you have your performance enthusiast which focus on making there car higher performance and take part in street racing. Ive done it on my local mountain pass, although we were very organized and had spotters. Hell even Mike Kojima(Engineer, with Dai Yoshihara 11' FD champ) admitted to street racing his ae86 to pay for some of his career's expenses as a beginning engineer with TRD.

Ever heard of Inital D, that still goes on in the japanese touges. Theyre are still people racing on the wangan and you also have the kanjo racers of japan

Im not going to lie though theyre are still idiots in street racing, just look at my local scene lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XByuXKsnNI these guys are dumbasses. But when making a video game why would you focus on this and instead base the game off of the other various types of street races above.
Instagram @SupraHKS
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Zotic+ wrote: Well actually it was very well interpreted of the era, back when underground came out that was a fad with the import tuner scene. Its similar to the hellaflush scene as of now. Then you have your performance enthusiast which focus on making there car higher performance and take part in street racing. Ive done it on my local mountain pass, although we were very organized and had spotters. Hell even Mike Kojima(Engineer, with Dai Yoshihara 11' FD champ) admitted to street racing his ae86 to pay for some of his career's expenses as a beginning engineer with TRD.

Ever heard of Inital D, that still goes on in the japanese touges. Theyre are still people racing on the wangan and you also have the kanjo racers of japan

Im not going to lie though theyre are still idiots in street racing, just look at my local scene lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XByuXKsnNI these guys are dumbasses. But when making a video game why would you focus on this and instead base the game off of the other various types of street races above.
why are we talking about touge and japanese racing and all that? underground and underground 2 had none of that, they were just glorifications of the "idiots with cars" culture.

Will Wright was a street racer as well, just shows that he was an idiot once upon a time...
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

MaxT wrote:and where driving said car like mentioned above won't attract any police attention nor get you or your car seriously injured or killed. add some soap opera style drama to it and you get NFS Underground.
Well, looking at this in particular, then every NFS game suffers from the same. In every NFS you drive fast and you risk crashing or dying. Only it's a game... you don't actually die, nor you put anyone in danger. :lol:

Both U1 and U2, like Zotic said, reflected the car culture at the time. You may not like it, but the car culture in the beginning of the century was bodykits, neons, rims, street racing, cops. Underground games reflected that culture and did it well.

What I think Zotic means, is that if EA is going to do an Underground 3, they have to take some time looking at the current trends in car culture, from America to Europe to Asia. And come up with a game that reflects the different car cultures throughout the world, be it basic tuning or expensive exotics.

I would say yes to that kind of game, if it was well made. For some reason, I don't think it will... :?
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

Hydro_PT wrote:
MaxT wrote:and where driving said car like mentioned above won't attract any police attention nor get you or your car seriously injured or killed. add some soap opera style drama to it and you get NFS Underground.
Well, looking at this in particular, then every NFS game suffers from the same. In every NFS you drive fast and you risk crashing or dying. Only it's a game... you don't actually die, nor you put anyone in danger. :lol:

Both U1 and U2, like Zotic said, reflected the car culture at the time. You may not like it, but the car culture in the beginning of the century was bodykits, neons, rims, street racing, cops. Underground games reflected that culture and did it well.

What I think Zotic means, is that if EA is going to do an Underground 3, they have to take some time looking at the current trends in car culture, from America to Europe to Asia. And come up with a game that reflects the different car cultures throughout the world, be it basic tuning or expensive exotics.

I would say yes to that kind of game, if it was well made. For some reason, I don't think it will... :?
if they make that game, hydro its gonna be world war 3 not underground 3...btw have you heard of a game called modnation racers?
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

MaxT wrote:
Zotic+ wrote: Well actually it was very well interpreted of the era, back when underground came out that was a fad with the import tuner scene. Its similar to the hellaflush scene as of now. Then you have your performance enthusiast which focus on making there car higher performance and take part in street racing. Ive done it on my local mountain pass, although we were very organized and had spotters. Hell even Mike Kojima(Engineer, with Dai Yoshihara 11' FD champ) admitted to street racing his ae86 to pay for some of his career's expenses as a beginning engineer with TRD.

why are we talking about touge and japanese racing and all that? underground and underground 2 had none of that, they were just glorifications of the "idiots with cars" culture.

Will Wright was a street racer as well, just shows that he was an idiot once upon a time...
lulz you missed the point. I was bringing those up as something that would be featured in a new UG3 of the present era, since you were stuck on ricer body kits and neon... :mrgreen:

And Hydro hit the nail on the head. Ghost would have to immerse themselves into the car culture and learn about it to properly execute it in a game
Instagram @SupraHKS
MaxT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MaxT »

Hydro_PT wrote: Well, looking at this in particular, then every NFS game suffers from the same. In every NFS you drive fast and you risk crashing or dying. Only it's a game... you don't actually die, nor you put anyone in danger. :lol:
all the NFS games made by Black Box, yes. not pre-Underground ones, AKA not the real NFS games.
Hydro_PT wrote: Both U1 and U2, like Zotic said, reflected the car culture at the time. You may not like it, but the car culture in the beginning of the century was bodykits, neons, rims, street racing, cops. Underground games reflected that culture and did it well.
not really.
Hydro_PT wrote: What I think Zotic means, is that if EA is going to do an Underground 3, they have to take some time looking at the current trends in car culture, from America to Europe to Asia. And come up with a game that reflects the different car cultures throughout the world, be it basic tuning or expensive exotics.
EA is the publisher. if Ghost decides to make an Underground 3, fine! who am I to deny the tacky children of the world the pleasure of driving plastic rice rockets in an simulated post-apocalyptic city while listening to techno and metal coming from the trunks of their "cars". but they should make it as a different game, not take NFS away from it's fans again just for the sake of scoring more profit by calling it "Need For Speed".
ianism
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ianism »

MaxT wrote: street racing: a bunch of idiots with cars, driving over the speed limit, ignoring every traffic law possible, more often than not crashing into something.
please keep in mind that every single NFS other than the V-Rallys, ProStreet & Shifts are street racing :wink:
i have nothing more to add
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

MaxT wrote:
Hydro_PT wrote: Well, looking at this in particular, then every NFS game suffers from the same. In every NFS you drive fast and you risk crashing or dying. Only it's a game... you don't actually die, nor you put anyone in danger. :lol:
all the NFS games made by Black Box, yes. not pre-Underground ones, AKA not the real NFS games.
Hydro_PT wrote: Both U1 and U2, like Zotic said, reflected the car culture at the time. You may not like it, but the car culture in the beginning of the century was bodykits, neons, rims, street racing, cops. Underground games reflected that culture and did it well.
not really.
Hydro_PT wrote: What I think Zotic means, is that if EA is going to do an Underground 3, they have to take some time looking at the current trends in car culture, from America to Europe to Asia. And come up with a game that reflects the different car cultures throughout the world, be it basic tuning or expensive exotics.
EA is the publisher. if Ghost decides to make an Underground 3, fine! who am I to deny the tacky children of the world the pleasure of driving plastic rice rockets in an simulated post-apocalyptic city while listening to techno and metal coming from the trunks of their "cars". but they should make it as a different game, not take NFS away from it's fans again just for the sake of scoring more profit by calling it "Need For Speed".
So the fad in the early 2000's wasn't body kits, huge wings and flashy paint jobs? I now am under the assumption that you don't know very much about the import car scene.

Rice rockets eh?

this is Jeremy Croiset's CRX. Rice? No 2012 National Champion in the NASA Honda Chalenge yes
Instagram @SupraHKS
Navid_A1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Navid_A1 »

forget about underground nonsense... :-#

lets pray for another porsche unleashed. [-o<
Phantom_pain33
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Phantom_pain33 »

My question and i will keep asking it until i get an answer.what will be the ideal need for speed game? hydro you said that all need for speed involved crashing and racing fast, the series is all about that,driving fast cars and escaping from the police while beating your opponents on epic roads, like rolling hills,country roads and stuff.the crashing and takedowns that came from criterion and the burnout series.but i wish we can go back to the days when you actually got pull over by the cops and they gave you a ticket and they show the animation and everything..not you can be racing cruising and a cop will just come and hit you from the back and send you sky high.

the ideal need for speed game, its bringing back the locations around the world ..circuits or sprint,p2p races,add manual transmission and cockpit view also bring back the cops that give you tickets makes it more realistic..you get a warning and then you racing fast but careful not knowing you gonna get busted it creates dynamic scenarios.meanwhile they can keep autolog but maybe on the road you can be compare it to your best drifts,turns,cornering,top speed etc in certain sections of the track ,ala Driveclub for ps4 and please get rid of the boost and nitrous..its getting to a point where now every arcade game "must" have nitrous and keep the cars stock, add a custom livery studio and we have the perfect game.

Guys if i knew anything about game design i would off assembled the perfect team to make a game that will resemble the classic need for speed feel and and get the fans involved through kick-starter.but unfortunetly that will never happen.EA can make this game, and spend less money on it and they definitively will make some good profit but it goes against their milking plans.

Need for speed in an open world to me its just not need for speed ,no matter how epic the roads are,..its never goona be epic , like the roads of scenic route (HP2),hometown(NFS3) and Rocky Pass (NFS3).
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zotic+ »

Phantom_pain33 wrote:My question and i will keep asking it until i get an answer.what will be the ideal need for speed game? hydro you said that all need for speed involved crashing and racing fast, the series is all about that,driving fast cars and escaping from the police while beating your opponents on epic roads, like rolling hills,country roads and stuff.the crashing and takedowns that came from criterion and the burnout series.but i wish we can go back to the days when you actually got pull over by the cops and they gave you a ticket and they show the animation and everything..not you can be racing cruising and a cop will just come and hit you from the back and send you sky high.

the ideal need for speed game, its bringing back the locations around the world ..circuits or sprint,p2p races,add manual transmission and cockpit view also bring back the cops that give you tickets makes it more realistic..you get a warning and then you racing fast but careful not knowing you gonna get busted it creates dynamic scenarios.meanwhile they can keep autolog but maybe on the road you can be compare it to your best drifts,turns,cornering,top speed etc in certain sections of the track ,ala Driveclub for ps4 and please get rid of the boost and nitrous..its getting to a point where now every arcade game "must" have nitrous and keep the cars stock, add a custom livery studio and we have the perfect game.

Guys if i knew anything about game design i would off assembled the perfect team to make a game that will resemble the classic need for speed feel and and get the fans involved through kick-starter.but unfortunetly that will never happen.EA can make this game, and spend less money on it and they definitively will make some good profit but it goes against their milking plans.

Need for speed in an open world to me its just not need for speed ,no matter how epic the roads are,..its never goona be epic , like the roads of scenic route (HP2),hometown(NFS3) and Rocky Pass (NFS3).
I do a agree and NFS is now a cluster f**k of different car cultures. What would be ideal in this situation now is perhaps a "melting pot" of automotive cultures into one game where it would appeal to many.
Instagram @SupraHKS

Return to “News”