Edit a profile name using winhex

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground 2.
Bofa_X
Ricer
Ricer

Edit a profile name using winhex

Post by Bofa_X »

Howdy folks!

Haven't seen this anywhere else so I figured you guys were the best place to start.

Well I've seen some posts asking how to change a profile name and due to a typo found myself asking the same question. How I didn't notice is beyond me but I just fired it up and 5 hours later noticed I can't spell. Not wanting to ditch my work I started looking around and found other people had the same issue. After borking my profile with notepad more times than I can count, I figured hex was the way to go.

It's nothing serious and some of the people on these boards have accomplished MUCH more (thanks guys for your work) so I figured the least I could do is share.

*Just a note to always back up your file before editing.

I'm using version 1.1 of the game BTW...

First you're gonna need WinHex. There are a dozen topics about where your profile is located blah blah so I won't go into that. What is helpful is to create your profile with the correct name and just backfill the file in the correctly named folder.

Next, open your profile and scroll down to damn near the bottom. You'll see your profile name. Nothing special here... just retype it. You have to do this through WinHex as notepad or a "vanilla" text editor just doesn't cut it. (I'm sure some other Hex editor would work, just didn't try anything else...) Offset 0000D220 is what you're looking for. I'm sure you could do this through the hex directly but WinHex allows you to just click to the right and type it as you need it. Make sure it's case sensitive and click save.

Real complicated stuff huh? :) The screenshot will show ya everything you need to know (sorry for the image size). I've tested this with profile names up to 7 characters and so far so good. I've continued playing the profile without issue and again so far so good.

Have fun.

Bofa
Attachments
winhexprofilename.PNG
(93.4 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times
Last edited by Bofa_X on 16 Dec 2004, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Wow! Looks kinda complicated... :?
thinroad
Ricer
Ricer

Post by thinroad »

does anyone know how to make it so that i can enter 8 letters?
it messed up the file when i try to put 8 letters
Bofa_X
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bofa_X »

It only looks worse than it is.

BTW: I'm using Windows XP. You have to have "show all files" ticked in your folder options to get to Local Settings (or you can just type it in your "run" box) so any other version of Windows I'm not sure of.

Once you have WinHex open it up and go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\WINDOWS ACCOUNT NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\NFS Underground 2\NFS ACCOUNT NAME

Scroll down to the bottom of the file and find the name, you'll see it when you get the right offset (the number on the left). Click the first letter of the name and start typing. Save your file and that's that.

@thinroad:

Did the game just flat out crash, or did you get the "unable to load profile" deal? I was getting an error when I used a text editor but otherwise it didn't kick back on me. I'm off to work now but I'll tinker with it some and see what I can come up with.
Bofa_X
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bofa_X »

Well thinroad, got some bad news... looks like the game limits profile size to 7 characters. Even trying to create a new profile imposes a 7 character limit. Unless there's a way to extend this limit creating a profile name above 7 isn't going to happen.

Dunno, anyone else have any ideas? What do you think it would take to extend that limit? I'm going to tinker around some but that seems a bit above me.

Thanks for the input though...

Bofa
thinroad
Ricer
Ricer

Post by thinroad »

it just gives the unable to load error. good thing i have a backup
and if anyone finds a way to extend the character limit, that'll be great
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

now if you could only find where the information for the cars you have in career are. I should have started with the Corolla. I should have started with the Corolla :-)
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Can you edit Cars names, parts names and that? It would be funny to call the Hummer "Crazy SUV" or whatever you want :D

And rename the widebodies: "Crappy, shiznit, nah, and Ugly" :D
ViperJay
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperJay »

lol, I think they're perfect names for widebody kits in the game...
btw, I wanna try making my profile name complete, cause now I must trim it into ViperJ... :?
hope I'll be able to do that :D
Bofa_X
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bofa_X »

Yeah 7 characters isn't a lot to work with, not sure what the logic there was. I don't play multiplayer so I don't know if the limit applies there as well. If it doesn't, then there may be a way around it.

As for car names and stuff looking at how they do the vinyls it would be an assload of changes. It's not like they declared a corolla a value, everything is linked to a value, then ultimately the value is assigned a name... it's the other way around. From what I've messed with changing a car name would result in having every part of the car needing it's name changed as well. Probably wouldn't be so bad as long as you stayed stock but who wants to do that?

With all the work that has gone into editing some of these cars, I could see someone naming a ride after themselves, or a Hummer the "Monica", something along those lines. That would rock.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

wow name the cars after a lady's name, cool, sounds familiar ? it is Gone is 60 secs. Eleanor.....geez man mustang GT 500.
Bofa_X
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Bofa_X »

Yeah didn't even think of Eleanor, lol. Can't really help it but when I hear Hummer, Monica is the first thing that comes (no pun intended) to mind. ;)
^StephaNOS^
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ^StephaNOS^ »

It's a very helpfull program.
AndrewH
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AndrewH »

so how can you change you begining cars?
I see a lot of save games here with changed begining cars.

Return to “Editing”