need sum tips on upgrading my memory

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

need sum tips on upgrading my memory

Post by weedman173 »

On my computer i'm currently running two 256mb memory cards and i was wondering how much of a difference it would make to get two 1gb cards.i multi-task alot and i need more memory.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

It would make a HUGE difference... I have 1500MB RAM, and before I had 512. Now I can easly run LOADS of programs at once without having to close windows, and stuff. 2GB is seriously GREAT! :D
James31278
Banned

Post by James31278 »

One gig a memory in your case would work just fine.
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

That depends on what programs you are using at once.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

i usually have photoshop,a few tabs in firefox,yahoo messenger,windows media player and a few more i cant think of right now.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

I think one gig of ram is more than enough for anybody, and try to get just one stick.... also getting a fast speed ram will help like DDR400, but make sure your motherboard can handle it.... I don't really see any point in having two gigs, in fact i'm not entirely sure why I bought two gigs my self :lol:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Indeed, two gigs is overkill at the moment. For pro use only (very heavy photo/video editing, huge databases, 3d rendering, servers, etc). There isn't much out there for "home" use, that would truly benefit from more then one GB.

Not sure about the one stick vs two sticks though. One stick is better if you have an "oldish" motherboard. But if you have, or are going to get, a DUAL CHANNEL cabable motherboad, then two sticks is better, as they can be accessed simultaneously via dual memory channels. So get either a single 1GB stick or two 512MB sticks...
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

Maybe it is overkill, but you don't have to worry for the next 1,5/2 years that you don't have enough memory.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Ah, yes. Buying a FX-57 and 7800GTX isn't overkill too. I mean, you look towards the future right? :lol:
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

yes, that's a good point, but if when you come to a point when you do need it, whether its 1or 2 years down the line, the prices of RAM will more than likely drop consederible...
silentracer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by silentracer »

Use always two cards of memory - not less and not more. so you can use dual channel and have double speed, e.g. DDR800 or PC6400. condition is of course a dual channel compatible motherboard. e.g. a s939 or s775 Board - they're all DC compatible.

also with single channel 2 cards are expedient, because small cards or small chips are more powerful than big chips, for example better timings etc. ..

if you're running 4 cards of memory your system can get unstable, because you have 64 RAM Chips and this often is too much for current chipsets. 1 or 3 cards make also no sense because you can't use DC.

One gig is enough at the moment. only if you're running video editing or graphicsediting and games like FEAR or BF2 on highest graphics settings you may have better performance with 2 Gig.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Dual channel is technology that has been availible for quite some time.
Actually Nvidia nForce 1 introduced it, though back then it was fairly new and the bandwidth gain was so small it wasn't worth.
nForce 2 saw a much more gain and was favoured by OC'ers since they got the same bandwidth at lower memory speed but still the bandwidth gain was small.

I think now with the more recent AMD systems the gain has increased, as for Intel's, allways go dual, using single there will really hurt the bandwidth as Intel has lots of bandwidth.

As for what RAM to chose, well 256Mb to 512 will be noticeable actually, depending on your CPU speed there can be quite a jump to 1024 now, but seriously to judge that I need to know more about your PC.
Like motherboard type, CPU brand and such, to see if you can benefit from low timings or not ;)
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

PSZeTa wrote:Ah, yes. Buying a FX-57 and 7800GTX isn't overkill too. I mean, you look towards the future right? :lol:
True that's why i have a 7800GTX at the end of this week, when the mail man comes :D
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

2 gigs do you know how many units you can get on one screen during LOTR battle for middle earth without lag!?!?!?!?!

i cant even run AOE conquers with no lag anymore.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Dragon-of-Rune wrote:
PSZeTa wrote:Ah, yes. Buying a FX-57 and 7800GTX isn't overkill too. I mean, you look towards the future right? :lol:
True that's why i have a 7800GTX at the end of this week, when the mail man comes :D

GAFHAOSHFOASHFAF.

Send me one too. :')
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Ill get one of my Mailmen buddys to change the shipping address to my house. :lol:
korge
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

I should be getting hooked up with some more sticks tomorrow.

Does 1024mb ram sound plenty?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I gig is good, yeah.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

1 GB is good for now ...
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

yes, that's a good point, but if when you come to a point when you do need it, whether its 1or 2 years down the line, the prices of RAM will more than likely drop consederible...
No they won't... at least not for DDR1, the prices are slowly rising again just like a few years ago with SDRAM, the only prices that will drop now are DDR2 memory prices, so if you want loads of DDR1 memory, buy it now!!!
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

i jumped from a 768 to 2gig...crossair xms..which i think are amazing but make sure if ur gona buy memory get dual memory like 2x 1g or 2x 512 and make sure there both 100% the same and make sure your mobo can handle it..
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

if i get 2 Gbs then ill be able to play some music while i play games right?!
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

hahah u dont need to 2igs to do that but it would be able to do more then just play music and play games..i could do that wit 1 gig..fine...2 gig is if u got alot of aps going like photoshop then got most wanted playing and music and net..
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

donaldgladden wrote:if i get 2 Gbs then ill be able to play some music while i play games right?!
:roll: no, you can't play music while playing games because your processor is overloaded, you can't do anything about it.
RenoVado
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RenoVado »

w0w go somewhere else....... :wink:

Return to “The Hardware & Software”