Bicyclism! ! !

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Ok so I went to the store yesterday and ordered complete deore front (I kept the same shifters and alivio back) and new pedals (combined). What I still need to buy are new shoes (any suggestions there).

Next year or maybe in two years I'm planning on replacing the shifters and the back to deore so I'll have full deore.

Also how often do you think I should have the bike serviced? Once per season?
Keep in mind that all I'm capable of doing at home is oiling the gears and the chain...
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

It really depends on how often and how much you ride and in wich conditions.

I think normally once a season is enough.
And if you got a normal toolbox you probably got a set of Alan Keys. (for the 6 angle bolts :wink: ) and when you clean your bike make sure all the bolts are tight.
If you got front suspension make sure your lube the seals after a ride.

Cleaning and small maintainance is key to keep your bike in good shape if the gears are clean and lubed they will wear less, and if you check your bolts once in a while your reduce the chances of damage. (chances are small but he.. checking never hurts)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Heh, I knew I was doing something wrong... I didn't clean the bike much, especially I never unscrewed anything (which means I also didn't screw anything back).
But hey, after I'm helluva tired after a ride, I right then cleaning is the last thing that comes to mind. And afterward I just forget. Seems like I'm gonna have to be more disciplined now...

You probably oil by feeling? We want te chain and the bearings to be oiled well and the gears themselves clean?

About front suspension I have really no idea what to lube. There seem to be no screws or nothing, just the top buttons which control stiffness.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Bearing should be greased not lubes :wink: Oil won't help much in bearings but a bit of grease helps alot. :wink:

I know it is hard to clean after a ride, but if you got a water hose it will be pretty easy, just spray it with water and make sure the dirt etc is gone. then take a towel and dry the bike. after that lube the chain (if it is dry, or else it will rust) and yes lubing is a feel thing. just aply what you feel is right, to much will atract dirt and will make a big mess of it, loads and loads of black dirty oil is the result. and to little will make the chain to dry, and it will start to sound horrible and will rust after contact with water.
The only bearing you need to grease is the headset, but you don't need to do that very often, only if you hear a raspy sound from sand etc in the headset. although you only need a wrench to open and close it it is a bit tricky so it is better let the shop do it if you think you can't handle it. but you can find alot on the net for maintaining a bike. with instruction etc.

Now about the Front suspension. The only thing you need to lube after 1 or 2 rides (depending on the trip) are the seals on the lower legs where the upper legs go into the lower legs. just spray abit of oil and push on the suspension abit to let to oil go into the fork. (if you got protection shockboots over the legs (rubber thingies) just push them aside and lube it.)
Ooh and don't use WD40 cause it is a degreaser and attacks your rubber parts so don't use it on the suspension and other parts with seals.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Floyd Landis won the Tour :O

I wouldnt have had the slightest I dea!

Was bored and went out and got a GT Compe BMx bike for small street travel. Pretty good one too...
korge
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

GT's are really good bikes, my 2 friends both have them, and we BMX hard, and they hold up really good. Im in the process of making a short BMX movie, how do i host a video on the internet?
Kid Cro
Banned

Post by Kid Cro »

Ok! Here is my bike! :D
BTW nice topic Dragster! :wink:

But mine is black! I have original pic from my bike tooked by me! I'll post it soon as I find it!
User deactivated: Habitual rule breaking; Abject lack of respect for the community.
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Heres a pic of my bike
http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/bike/bike1.jpg
Mine is a red one without any decals,i took them off,they're ugly.
I'll try to take a pic to it tonight.
Kid Cro
Banned

Post by Kid Cro »

Wow looks great! What was the price?
User deactivated: Habitual rule breaking; Abject lack of respect for the community.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Nice mountains... I have an old Fuji.. its a great bike but as the high end suspensions become more popular Im starting to see less of the original hardtails like mine. My bike feels old. :oops: :P
Kid Cro
Banned

Post by Kid Cro »

I don't like bikes with rear suspension! I simply don't!
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Mine costed 250€
It has 5 years but still good
I love it
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Calibra you got a GT I-drive?? cause in a good condition they are worth alot more then 250. so if you did, it's a great buy.
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Yeah
Excellent condition
I was seeing that bike a week and i just felt i wanna that bike so bad
And then my dad said"Choose a bike you want"
And i choosed that one,not to gab but was the best bike there.
Mine it's red without decals,I wanna paint it black throught.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Painting a bike like that is pretty hard. cause you are dealing with alot of pivots from the rear suspension and you don't want to paint them cause you will loose or lessn the suspension function. you can get it powdercoat it by a professional, cant tell you the cost of it cause it van vary alot. but expect it to be around 100 euro. (atleast that is what it costs here.)

Painting it yourself won't look good at all. trust me. even spray painting won't be great. unless you let a prof spray painter do it. in a car garage or something. but again be aware of the suspension parts cause in both painting and powdercoating you need to strip the complete bike and even dis assemble the rear suspension.

My brother is a epic GT fan. he got 3 GT's at home. wanted to place some pics but I don't have them on my computer.

Try to show some of our rides later on.
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Yeah
I'm not crazy to paint it myself
The painters of cars can do the job ???
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Yep they can do it, but you have to find one who is willing to do it.

As long as the orignal paint is removed (sand blasted, but make sure it isn't to strong of a blast cause the alloy in a bike frame is very thin and you don't want to weaken it so paint removing must be gentle and a soft blast.)

A good car painter can paint it without a problem in no time.
If you find a really good painter they can even make a nice design for you. with flames or what ever.. :lol:

I forgot my brother is working on a site where all our bikes (and previous bikes) are posted.. although it is still in construction and there isn't a english version yet (will come)

some things are nice to show:

My bikes:
Scott Pro racing:
Scott Expert racing: (still stock but working hard to get it into a complete diffirent bike before the next spring)
Scott AFD Pro roadbike, only thing left is a frame. but orignally it looked like this:
If your interested, it will be on Ebay soon :lol:

My brothers bikes:
GT LTS Team: (not the most recent picture but pretty recent (it now has a white fork. special made for the Sidney olympics)
GT Zaskar LE team edition (atm frame and some parts only... still in the middle of the part search and build up: The bike will have a stars and stipes theme when it is done.
He also has a other GT zaskar but it is a rather large size and it going to be sold, although it looks pretty much like the frame above this one has a new powdercoat in white. and got new "old skool" decals.

On the site there are more details, like I said it is far from done and only in dutch (mixed with english for now) . but he pics have a universal language :wink:

If you have some advise on the site... please speak... but not here... but PM would do :wink:
http://members.home.nl/children-of-the-korn/Index.html
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

Stig you're my idol! Gorgeous bikes! O:)
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

My dad worked on Peugeot
He was mechanic so he can ask to a painter to do the job with the bike.
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

They are some really nice bikes you got there . You should buy a Cannondale F900 :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

bam_bam wrote: You should buy a Cannondale F900 :D
Been there, done that .

It was officially my brothers bike.. he bought it in 2000 as a second bike.. but barely used it then his girlfriend used it, but after they broke up he took the bike with him and still didn;t use it, and because I had no bike at that time I used it. and sold it afterr a while and it was in pretty bad shape.
State as when it was sold:
[img]http://members.home.nl/children-of-the- ... 0klein.jpg
[/img]
To be honest I found it to be a horrible bike. There are a few really nice Cannondales and a friend of mine has one (still has to be posted on the site) he has a race spec F600 (orignally he had a F900 but he cracked it. so he got a newer F600 instead)
But I will never buy a C'dale myself. they are to expensive for what you get, although the suspension systems they use are unique they are absolutely not my style.
The made some really good bikes and some of them are really nice to look at. but not a bike I would buy.
I'll stick with Scott and Trek.
Kid Cro
Banned

Post by Kid Cro »

Well Calibra 14 is got ban! Anyway stig I saw you bike on some page before why did you post it again?? :?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Because I love it so much and I am a Admin so I can :P

It is a sumup of all bikes, and because this is 1 of them I had to put it in also, could get a diff pic of it but didn't have a other one in the same size
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

I got a Trek 7200 multitrack hybrid bike for Christmas!

It's a great bike.
C2D T7500 2.2 ghz| 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570m|160 GB 7200 RPM|2 GB RAM- my laptop
Kid Cro
Banned

Post by Kid Cro »

Well post it!

Return to “General Discussion”