winzip CRC error

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
ben_0026
Ricer
Ricer

winzip CRC error

Post by ben_0026 »

anyone knows how do fix a video file compressed by winzip 10.0??? da file is about 700mb n i've burned it in da cd... everytime i tried to extract it, an error will pop up sayin sumthin's wrong with da CRC... wad is CRC anyway???
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

A cyclic redundancy check (CRC) is a type of hash function used to produce a checksum – a small, fixed number of bits – against a block of data, such as a packet of network traffic or a block of a computer file. The checksum is used to detect errors after transmission or storage.

When it fails 95% of the time files are beyond repair. And in the case of a compressed file I'd say it's 100%. If the checksum fails for the compressed file, the data stored inside the archive is definitely damaged (and usually renders the archive not uncompressable).
ben_0026
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ben_0026 »

if i manage to copy da file do da computer is it possible for me to repair it??? is there any programs to fix da damaged file??
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That depends on what a 'da' is.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Depends on the level of damage. If the checksum fails for only a very small section of the file I suppose some brute force trial and error method (that would basically try to guess what bits are wrong, and replace them with ones that would match the checksum, don't know how many possibilities there are though, could be way too many to even try) might eventually yield a working file, but I have no idea if such a program exists.

Try googling for crc error fixing. Maybe there is something out there.
xALFAxGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by xALFAxGT »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:That depends on what a 'da' is.
I thought it was Scottish slang for Dad.

or is it where 'da' kids are at :D

Return to “The Hardware & Software”