Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by race_invader »

Ah.. I've installed new font's and they ain't showing up on Adobe photoshop or notepad.. Could someone help me out?

Ive installed them in - C:Local Disk/WINDOWS/Fonts
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

If you copied the exact font file, and not the folder it should have installed fine, unless you accidently downloaded fonts for Mac which i doubt, but i've never run into any trouble with fonts b4, hope all goes well.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

I've noticed that any font I download, when I use it, it is always capital letters. Even when the font includes both lower case and upper case, it's very annoying because cursive fonts look like crap and so do most others. And no, caps lock is not on, it does it in any word processor I use and photoshop.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Glopaticki wrote:If you copied the exact font file, and not the folder it should have installed fine, unless you accidently downloaded fonts for Mac which i doubt, but i've never run into any trouble with fonts b4, hope all goes well.
Yeah, I've installed it correct like you said just won't show up. :|
-------

Not really a help question but is it really nessasary to have this thing (Circled in red) my computer sounds like its trying to get air or something and im not really sure if this is the problem limiting air circulation.
Attachments
IMG_0995.jpg
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

What do u guys think oh this motherboard? planning on building a HTPC and his looks like the best bet.
http://www.amazon.com/ABIT-Fatal1ty-F-I ... 618&sr=8-8
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

GINIX_2007 wrote:What do u guys think oh this motherboard? planning on building a HTPC and his looks like the best bet.
http://www.amazon.com/ABIT-Fatal1ty-F-I ... 618&sr=8-8
Good motherboard, although I would probably go w/ an AMD BE series CPU and an AMD 690G or Nvidia 7050PV chipset motherboard if I were doing an HTPC.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I keep having problems with my internet... whenever this happens, Dreamweaver will give me FTP errors, any phpBB board will log me out/not let me log in, (as in once you log back in, click "Index" and you're logged out again,) and stuff like that. It doesn't do it on any other PC's, just my desktop. The Acer and the other PC's in the house don't have problems with this... if you can help, thanks in advance! :P
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

If you disable your firewall, do the problems go away ?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Nope...
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

quick question:

Will office 2003 work on Vista?
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Yes, it will work on Vista.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Speaking of Vista... I just had to re-install it again because it was getting so slow... does anyone know how to not let this happen again? I run weekly/monthly maitmence... (yeah, I have no firefox, which means no spell check... sorry about that)... on it, like hard drive defrags and checkdisk's... but what else can I do?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Spyware/Adware?

How about unneeded services and startup programs? Those can be huge resource hogs.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

i have a question about something

i try to watch a video on youtube or something and the quicktime symbol comes up with a question mark in the middle and i have the latest version of quicktime and all the plugins.
i am using a mac with safari 3 beta, firefox, camino, and seamonkey and it does the same thing on those browsers but works fine on IE7.

could some one tell me how to fix it?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Okay... the new laptop is starting to annoy me. I don't expect it to run alot of games, but come on Acer... not even Underground? Does anyone know how I can keep the CPU running at the full 1.5GHz, just for while I'm trying to play? Also, it seems (I had task manager open while I was playing) that the graphics don't want to use any memory at all... (it's only using around 64MB, it has a limit of 300 something...)

If y'all can help at all, I'd be great full.

Thanks, carcrazy.

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention this... it has an X3100 Integrated chipset which is supposed to be the "best" they make... (Okay, there is an X3500... but I'm not made of money...) :lol:
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

try getting a new graphics card, and more RAM
or just send the laptop back and say i cant play any games on it so im sending it back and get a macbook or macbook pro with OSX leperd and double boot it and put both vista or XP and OSX leperd on it and youll have a fast computer plus a gaming one too.
on the macbook pro with leperd u get Xeon Quad core which is an 8 core computer
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Do you know what the word "Quad" means? :| It's a word to describe something equaling to 4. And Xeon's are server processors. They are better for servers than anything else. A guy here a while back even said he couldn't run HP2 smoothly on one.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Dude, you can't send a computer back because it won't run software. You can make something up and send back the software, but not the PC. Plus, it's a laptop... it's not gonna run games well (apparently even if they are 5 years old...) Plus, It already has 2GB DDR2 RAM, the max it's mobo can take. The CPU is the equivalent of 3.0GHZ, (1.5 Dual Core.)

Intel says it can even run games like Battlefield 2 smoothly... ain't that a load. :lol:
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

strange, i can run NFS MW on my dad's laptop:

Intel P4 1.8ghz
1024mb DDR RAM
Videocard: i don't know...

you said it can't even run Underground? :roll: maybe your laptop has a virus or spyware or something.

@ snoopdogg879:

where the heck can you get that kind of service? :roll:
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Easy! From crackheads! :lol:
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King

Post by snoopdogg879 »

RVD wrote:strange, i can run NFS MW on my dad's laptop:

Intel P4 1.8ghz
1024mb DDR RAM
Videocard: i don't know...

you said it can't even run Underground? :roll: maybe your laptop has a virus or spyware or something.

@ snoopdogg879:

where the heck can you get that kind of service? :roll:
just say the laptop doesnt do what i want and say i need one that can do this or just get a macbook or macbook pro and double boot it with both lepeord and XP or Vista because that macbook pro has an 8 core prossor which is really freakin fast

@S2K:
no not from crackheads
your the crackhead for even thinking that [-X

now could someone tell me how to fix the problem im asking?

i try to watch a video on youtube or something and the quicktime symbol comes up with a question mark in the middle and i have the latest version of quicktime and all the plugins.
i am using a mac with safari 3 beta, firefox, camino, and seamonkey and it does the same thing on those browsers but works fine on IE7.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

snoopdogg879 wrote:
just say the laptop doesnt do what i want and say i need one that can do this or just get a macbook or macbook pro and double boot it with both lepeord and XP or Vista because that macbook pro has an 8 core prossor which is really freakin fast
Quad-core processors just started to really come out, there aren't any 8-core processors, especially not in a laptop. Macbook pros use Core2Duo's, which is a dual-core processor.

snoopdogg879 wrote: now could someone tell me how to fix the problem im asking?

My friend had that problem on his mac too, uninstalling Quicktime and reinstalling it fixed it.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

weedman173 wrote:
snoopdogg879 wrote:
Quad-core processors just started to really come out, there aren't any 8-core processors, especially not in a laptop. Macbook pros use Core2Duo's, which is a dual-core processor.
Yeah, the Acer (the laptop I'm speaking of,) has a Pentium Dual-Core.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

snoopdogg879 wrote: ... because that macbook pro has an 8 core prossor which is really freakin fast
Wikipedia wrote: Processor
The MacBook Pro first used Intel Core Duo processors, which were replaced with Intel Core 2 Duo processors in October 2006. The Core 2 Duo was Intel's 64-bit dual-core processor designed for laptop computers, which was developed under the code-name "Merom". This processor had a FSB (front-side bus) speed of 667 MHz, and supported Vanderpool virtualization technology. The model refresh on June 5, 2007 features an upgraded 800 MHz front side bus speed, as well as faster Merom processors.
For the very last time: THERE ARE NO 8-CORE PROCESSORS. The macbook pro has a 2-core processor, and it has only 1 processing unit.

Besides: a macbook pro 17" costs a staggering €2669 here in the Netherlands, which is about $3900!!!

you can buy a laptop that is just as good, or even better for about half of that!

@carcrazy: i still don't know what's wrong with your laptop, it should work...
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

I just got a hard drive I bought on Sunday from newegg. I hooked it up and started up my computer, when I boot into windows, it detects new hardware by showing that little popup at the bottom right. The hard drive also shows up in the bios and when the computer is booting up. But when I go into windows explorer to access the hard drive, it is not showing up. Device manager is showing the drive as installed and working properly.

Here's the drive I have:
LINK

Return to “The Hardware & Software”