Your Thoughts about NFS: Pro Street

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: Your Thoughts about NFS: Pro Street

Post by baumaxx1 »

Umm... Fail. We're talking about car physics and behavior here, not steering wheels and graphics. You can get that logitech steering wheel with the 2.5 turns for realism, but it doesn't make the game's car handling realistic. GT has the understeer, oversteer, braking and acceleration done well... but not sure if it's all 100%. To me, the cars feel sort of floaty. Still a great game.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

baumaxx1 wrote:Umm... Fail. We're talking about car physics and behavior here, not steering wheels and graphics. You can get that logitech steering wheel with the 2.5 turns for realism, but it doesn't make the game's car handling realistic. GT has the understeer, oversteer, braking and acceleration done well... but not sure if it's all 100%. To me, the cars feel sort of floaty. Still a great game.
I think you're missing the point.

Even with the SIXAXIS, GT5 Prologue's handling engine is superb. Heck, real race drivers (that includes F1 drivers, WRC drivers (Sebastien Loeb)) turn to GT4 to practice because of its attention to detail. With a steering wheel, it may not make the game's handling any better, but it FEELS better. But, as I said if gaming wheels didn't exist I'd rather have a SIXAXIS over a keyboard. The only time that the cars feel floaty is over jumps, they haven't nailed the landings yet.
gagtooth
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by gagtooth »

I've read a few article's on what real racers feel about it, they all say GT5P is awesome and i'm sure I will be saying the same thing when the full GT5 comes and I play it but I just feel that PC sims are better at this moment in time. Sure I will get GT5 when it comes out and i'm sure that I will love it being a GT fan since GT1 and I've always defended it as being the best console racer. And I've played both GT4 and PC sims with a Logitech G25 so I can compare both. GT4 was nice and it did feel better to drive but the physics weren't the best because the PS2 couldn't handle all the calculations and I'm sure now that the physics in GT5P are alot better because the PS3 can handle all the calculations but I reserve my judgement until I play GT5P. It does look good from BreakerOhio's videos from GTplanet on youtube http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6g2YS5jA4m8 and here is one article I read http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=6055 and its a very interesting read. For the time being i'm gonna stick with my PC for simulation driving :). I don't want any fighting over this, as this is just my opinion.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:Umm... Fail. We're talking about car physics and behavior here, not steering wheels and graphics. You can get that logitech steering wheel with the 2.5 turns for realism, but it doesn't make the game's car handling realistic. GT has the understeer, oversteer, braking and acceleration done well... but not sure if it's all 100%. To me, the cars feel sort of floaty. Still a great game.
I think you're missing the point.

Even with the SIXAXIS, GT5 Prologue's handling engine is superb. Heck, real race drivers (that includes F1 drivers, WRC drivers (Sebastien Loeb)) turn to GT4 to practice because of its attention to detail. With a steering wheel, it may not make the game's handling any better, but it FEELS better. But, as I said if gaming wheels didn't exist I'd rather have a SIXAXIS over a keyboard. The only time that the cars feel floaty is over jumps, they haven't nailed the landings yet.
Yeah it's a good game, but not perfectly realistic. It can be used as a practice tool, but techniques change in real life, so it's really the track layout, lines, braking points etc. that are being practiced. It has those things down pat.
delong212
Ricer
Ricer

Post by delong212 »

personally i think it was horrible....though i do like the races and the like war games thing but that is about it.
Jamaleni
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jamaleni »

Ok, after trying to force me to play the darn game to the end for about 3 months, I find myself about half way through career and I had it.

What in the name of God were they thinking? NFS was allways a arcade game, and it was verry good at it. I play it when I wanted to have some fun, chase with cops, and don't think about damage and especially physics.

When I wanted real physics I played Grand Prix 4, GTR 2 or R-factor.

When I first read that they will make new sequel more realistic I tought, well okay, I can live with it. But when I play it for the first time I was so pissed off. Did developers ever try to drive a car in real life? I don't think so, because if they do, then they wouldn't call undriveable, and uncontrollable car behaviour real physics.

The only thing that is good in this game is graphics. I must admit that I spend my first hour of playing simply cruising around tracks and looking at surroundings. But good graphics doesn't mean a good game. As far as I'm concerned this game is no more for me.

My hopes for next sequel.....

Graphics as it is in PS. Open world and car physics as it was in MW. And most of all, playability as it was in NFS3: Hot Pursuit. Oh, and one more thing. Ability to make custom vinyls as it is in GTR 2.....

Does anybody remeber NFS3? I mean, there was no story, you simply had a selection of cars and tracks. And then when you unlock all of them, you try to beat track records on all tracks in all variations (forward, backward...., and 2 laps, 3 laps.....). And when you broke all track records (offcourse that you were doing it with a CLK-GTR), then you try to beat all that records with weaker cars (Ferrari 355 F1, for instance). And when you done all that, you still play that game, because there wasn't anything better available untill next NFS (or at least you hoped that it will be like that).

Few years ago, there was a game called Juiced. It was a poor try of copying NFS successful formula (of NFS Underground, offcourse). Now we have Juiced 2, which beat NFS: PS in every aspect. The only problem with Juiced 2 is unoptimized engine, so it have horrible hardvare requests for playing in full detail.

EA, wake up........
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Strafer »

Finally. I beat the game.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

I really liked prostreet, but on PS2 it's simply horrible. I mean, yes, they had to make concessions for PS2's smaller proccessor, but they just about ruined the whole realism thing with the PS2. Also, each vinyl/decal takes about 10 seconds to show up!

The physics are ok, but not on the GT/Forza level. One really wierd thing is that they have 2 different physics engines-1 for drift, and 1 for all other races. It's stupid! In real life, there is no 2 sets of physics. Theres the only 1 set, and that, for god-know what reason, hasen't been enforced!

I mean, WTF!!!
oh snap
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

For what its worth, my opinion is having played NFS since Hot Pursuit days, nothing for experience, gameplay, story line, and handling, beats the NFS Porsche Unleashed. It was no sim, but it was heads and shoulders above NFS of before and after.

I only wish that EA remade NFS PU with graphics of modern days, like in Pro Street. And yes, I know this will never happen, those days are gone. Shame. As is, this PS is dissapointment in every way except for the eyecandy...

In fact there is only one use for it - I can see how certain wheel models look on my 3 series. that's all.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Um, I think that Prostreet wasn't THAT bad, but definately losing the touch of some previous games...
oh snap
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

It's a hard game to like. I don't hate it, but I don't love it like Most Wanted.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

My quick thoughts:

- Good graphics, sounds, etc., the cosmetic part is very good, though some cars don't change sound with level 3 engine which shows they slacked off.

- The so-called "revolutionary" tuning system is absolute BS. Brake bias settings are reversed, sparse explanation of suspension settings (had to look up on the internet for those), autosculpt parts are all ugly (apart from stock kits), few, and increasing percentages doesn't do the right thing (which is to lower top speed and acceleration not increase). Gear ratios are tuned through sliders(!). Don't they know how annoying it is to "guess" the correct settings? The guys that made Forza, GT4, etc. (not completely accurate simulators) and even Juiced must be laughing hard at EA.

- I can't skip the cutscenes before the races, which sucks. I know the girls need to have screen time, but if I want to see pretty women I can use the internet or, better, walk outside and go around the corner.

- Point system for drifting is bad, sometimes I go slow and score more points. It's ridiculous and makes pathetic excuses of cars like the AE86, which you can acquire right at the beginning, beat much more expensive cars.

- Top speed runs are extremely frustrating, I want to fly past the other cars but can't because the road is too narrow. Go slow? Yeah, right, with the AI always getting a kph more.

- Their notion of car performance is silly to say the least. The M3 E92, which is supposed to murder the E46, handles like a f***ing boat and has like 100 less bhp when maxed out. You waste 185,000 on a 911 GT2 only to find out the cheaper 911 Turbo is better. And I hear the RS4 is much better than the M3. Maybe Porsche, which is a major shareholder in the VW group, which owns Audi, paid EA to do this nonsense and make their cars be the best (the Carrera GT was the top car in MW)...

- An excess of Japanese cars (Nissan GT-R Proto, Civic Si and Acura Integra) which took the place of more important stuff (a Pontiac Trans Am, an M5, a Mustang Boss 302, Jag XK-R...).

Not getting fooled by NFS here anymore.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

hmmmm

you've got a few convincing arguments there, but you've got to cut EA some slack.

They created a whole new game, with about no similarities between the PS and the older games, so kudos for trying...

They've tried something new, and if they're smart, they'll go back to what they do best - street racing!
oh snap
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

Actually I like the concept of ProStreet, at least I can remember all the tracks... In the free roam cities of MW and Carbon everything looks the same.

It IS a cool game, but it always seems EA *wants* to make us hate them by not paying attention to those details...
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Zpectre wrote: - Their notion of car performance is silly to say the least. The M3 E92, which is supposed to murder the E46, handles like a f***ing boat and has like 100 less bhp when maxed out. You waste 185,000 on a 911 GT2 only to find out the cheaper 911 Turbo is better. And I hear the RS4 is much better than the M3. Maybe Porsche, which is a major shareholder in the VW group, which owns Audi, paid EA to do this nonsense and make their cars be the best (the Carrera GT was the top car in MW)....
Despite my nickname, i actuall own an E90 BMW, and have been into BMWs for few years since ditching the Audi A4. Now I have to say that the way they dissed the BMWs in this game is rediculous. You are right about the E93 being a pig, it bloody is. And that is supposedly a car that is top of the class in terms of handling, despite losing out in power stakes to the likes of C63 AMG or the all wheel drive traction of the Audi.

E46 simpy cant be better handling car then E92... thats kind of just saying that Ferrari from 2005 (remember 2005?) is much better then from 2007 (yes, it won that year). And we are talking not modded.. .the 335i with some quick and cheap tuning (juicebox) makes it as fast as M3 already. So comon! Lose to pretty much anything, for me that was a big turn off. I dont care for the japanese cars, no matter how much I try to like them.

So you are spot on about highliting the rather stupid allocation that the bimmer go in the power stakes, or may be they just went bonkers with trying to arcade the rest of the game out. I havent played too much (well, 20 min to be exact) to say for sure if the rest of cars are rediculously easy and BMW is just more realistic, or that all others cars equally balanced according to real life cars in arcade content, while bimmer just lacks in every aspect.

And yes, they should have had the M5 E39, that's a beast.
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

UrQuattro wrote:So you are spot on about highliting the rather stupid allocation that the bimmer go in the power stakes, or may be they just went bonkers with trying to arcade the rest of the game out. I havent played too much (well, 20 min to be exact) to say for sure if the rest of cars are rediculously easy and BMW is just more realistic, or that all others cars equally balanced according to real life cars in arcade content, while bimmer just lacks in every aspect.
Exactly. EA always makes the cars I like some of the worst in the game...

NFSHS: The CLK-GTR which beats the McLaren in only a few tracks.
NFSPU: 964 Turbo, fast but very difficult to drive and owned by NA 996s all day.
NFSHP2: The Ferrari F50, worthless in Tier 1.
NFSU2: Mitsubishi 3000GT, it managed the amazing feat of sucking in EVERYTHING.
NFSMW: Pontiac GTO/Vauxhall Monaro VXR, they can be good versus police but a lot of cars are.
NFSC: Aston Martin DB9, expensive and not that great.
NFSPS: BMW M3 E92.

The other Bimmers don't really suck, though they aren't top cars. The E46 is fast and the Z4, very stable. I hear you can make the E92 a good speed car but I still need to get one and tune it properly.

Other funny thing is that my fully upgraded 911 GT2 has a 0.71 power-to-weight ratio yet it's not any faster than the Murciélago or the Viper, with less favourable numbers.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

I agree with you, and on the GT2 subject, maybe because the Murcielag has AWD???
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I have noticed something.... Prostreet, it's not the game that's the problem but rather some absolutely stupid details about it that just spoil it!
ie.
-Why can't I have a 6 sec rotary rx7 like in real life?
-I don't understand the tuning, yet GT and forza, actual sims, make more sense to me.
-Half the mods are rice.
-Performance issues on a wide range of PCs.
-Totally exaggerated car features and stereotypes. (Corvette Zo6 should be a great handler. Why does the 180sx lack so much grunt? I mean there are SR20s capable of upwards of 600hp!)
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

baumaxx1 wrote:I have noticed something.... Prostreet, it's not the game that's the problem but rather some absolutely stupid details about it that just spoil it!
ie.
-Why can't I have a 6 sec rotary rx7 like in real life?
-I don't understand the tuning, yet GT and forza, actual sims, make more sense to me.
-Half the mods are rice.
-Performance issues on a wide range of PCs.
-Totally exaggerated car features and stereotypes. (Corvette Zo6 should be a great handler. Why does the 180sx lack so much grunt? I mean there are SR20s capable of upwards of 600hp!)
Hmmm, you've got quite a good point, especially about the stereotypes...

Have you played Forza 2?
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, play it on a friend's 360. Wish it was on PS3... but I am a Gran Turismo fan boy.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I fail to see how AI "Rudy Chen's" 911 Turbo can be faster than my 716hp example, and yet his has 100 LESS hp!!

And also with the v1.2 which has seen increases in hp for all of my cars, my Skyline is actually doing worse... 6th is a no go, as soon as it shifts it bogs down and I lose precious speed and time. And yes, all of my gear ratios are set all the way to short.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

It's just the old EA 'equalizer' thing, where even if you have a faster car, the 'better' drivers will still be just as fast as you.

And, like I said before in other threads, could you beat Rudy Chen with a 602hp Skyline or 700hp Evo X? (I race on Auto and King)
oh snap
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

EDIT-The Skyline is actually a R35 GT-R
oh snap
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

There is an edit button :roll:
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

yes, i know. Just momentarily forgot, then pressed 'reply', and THEN remembered. So I just cbf going back
oh snap

Return to “ProStreet”