Video games research project

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
gporter333
Stock
Stock

Video games research project

Post by gporter333 »

My name is Dr Guy Porter, a clinical researcher based in Sydney, Australia. I am part of a team of researchers headed by Dr Vladan Starcevic, Associate Professor at the Discipline of Psychological Medicine, University of Sydney.

We are investigating patterns of video game use, both online and offline. Specifically, our project aims to determine the characteristics and impact of excessive video game use.

We are looking for video game users from all backgrounds and who play all types of video games to take part in an anonymous online survey.

This project is not for profit and has received ethics committee approval by The University of Sydney.

If you’d like to take part, please follow the link below to our website:

http://www.nepean.med.usyd.edu.au/resea ... ch.php#res

Alternatively, if you'd like to know more about our work beforehand, there is a recent interview with me by the Australian video game magazine 'Atomic'. Here is the link to the article:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=104069

-Dr Guy Porter
Clinical Researcher

For:
A/Prof Vladan Starcevic
Discipline of Psychological Medicine
University of Sydney
Australia
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Re: Video games research project

Post by Striker94 »

please.
tell.
me.
that.
you.
are.
not.
serious.

I mean, putting a formal survey on nfsunlimited? I mean, sure, we're kinda proud, but honestly, in my opinion, WTF!?!?!
oh snap
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

NO, actually...

let me rephrase that last sentence. Yes, it's a kind of honor.

And yes, maybe it will have some use.

But do NOT go around typing like that, like you're some official government agency. NOBODY will pay attention
oh snap
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

I think it's a good idea, striker, you got 300+ posts but still don't know to edit your posts instead of double posting, don't point out his way of typing.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Striker94 wrote:please.
tell.
me.
that.
you.
are.
not.
serious.

I mean, putting a formal survey on nfsunlimited? I mean, sure, we're kinda proud, but honestly, in my opinion, WTF!?!?!
Oh come on, it seems to be for a good cause. And btw, posts are about quality, not quantity. So stop double posting just to get a higher post count :/
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

Why should he be stupid for putting a video game research survey on this site... i mean FFS this site is about a "Gaming Series" and most of us play the games in that "series"... i took the survey right away and enjoyed it :roll:

EDIT: PS... at least this guy got a decent education
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Took the survey myself, interesting questions.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

interesting..
some things were a bit extreme.. i mean thoughts of killing myself? wtf.. im not emo ffs D:
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I don't usually do this, but Striker, you're not too smart are you? Or you're ~13 years old? This is called "research". They need information from gamers, so they go to websites about video games. Which is what NFSUnlimited is, in case you were unaware. And there's nothing wrong with the way Dr. Porter types. That's how intelligent people type. To be honest, I usually only pay close attention to what someone is saying if they type properly.

Anyways, the survey was interesting. There were a few odd questions. It was kind of sad knowing that many people probably answer "Yes" to some of these.
Survey wrote:Loss of sexual interest or pleasure

The idea that someone else can control your thoughts

Hearing voices that other people do not hear
One question that bothered me was the one about illicit drug use... They should have you specify which drug. Because Marijuana is extremely different from any of the other drugs listed (Heroine, Cocaine, Meth, etc.). At least in my opinion...
gporter333
Stock
Stock

Post by gporter333 »

Hi all and thanks for taking the survey!

The original post is actually a basic form of what was approved by our ethics committee for distribution of the survey, so I am actually required to use what you see there. But of course I don't speak like that all the time!

I posted the survey here as we are keen to get a wide variety of gamers to take part (not just FPS / MMORPG players). This way we hope to get a broad picture of gaming habits.

Yes, some of the questions are quite confronting, but they are essentially standard questions that we ask people in a clinical setting in mental health. This is why you need to be 18 or have parental consent to take part.

Thanks again for taking part!
-Dr Guy Porter

Return to “General Discussion”