What car do you drive ?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: What car do you drive ?

Post by Porsche-AG »

PSZeTa wrote:Striker94, how come you never have something useful to say.
Now that you've brought it up, a better question would be:

Why does every thread he posts in always die for a few days?
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

You mean like this : O?

http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... &start=650

Your not even in uni yet so stfu striker ¬_¬? an since when do you learn about cars in uni anyway :roll: or do you :P
Explicit signature removed.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

ImJ wrote:Your not even in uni yet so stfu striker ¬_¬? an since when do you learn about cars in uni anyway :roll: or do you :P
You can't make Striker look like an idiot when you look like one yourself.

Anything can be learned at Uni, that's the whole point of going there.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

ImJ wrote:You mean like this : O?

http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... &start=650

Your not even in uni yet so stfu striker ¬_¬? an since when do you learn about cars in uni anyway :roll: or do you :P
Umm... I'm going to uni to do mechanical/automotive engineering. That's where u learn about cars.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Striker94 wrote:Drift! Yay!
Yay, let's all drive around with sod all grip facing the wrong way :roll:
You'll probably find that EDC/BDC/D1 cars have more grip than Time Attack/GT cars. :wink:

Edit - As for the Uni comment, Ill re-iterate my statement from another thread. Going to university doesnt make you an expert, or even that intelligent. You'll learn a lot of theories that dont really apply to anything useful, and then you'll come out 5 years later with a slip of paper that says you can do anything. Unfortunately, 5 million other people will walk out beside you, and all a potential employer will see is that you hold no job experience, and are an 'over-qualified' student.

Uni may get you an interview, but 99% of the time it will cost you a job. I dont mean to be harsh, but several of the part-timers I work with are at University studying degree courses. I would only trust 2 of them to do even the smallest jobs. Uni is only really useful when your employer sends you there on day-release.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Unfortunately IMJ, you lost thins arguament simply because you're wrong.
Umm... I'm going to uni to do mechanical/automotive engineering. That's where u learn about cars.
That's exactly what I was planning to do.
oh snap
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Edit - As for the Uni comment, Ill re-iterate my statement from another thread. Going to university doesnt make you an expert, or even that intelligent. You'll learn a lot of theories that dont really apply to anything useful, and then you'll come out 5 years later with a slip of paper that says you can do anything. Unfortunately, 5 million other people will walk out beside you, and all a potential employer will see is that you hold no job experience, and are an 'over-qualified' student.
Very well put. This is the exact reason why I chose to start out as a mechanic rather than an engineer.
Studying engineering will teach you nothing about how to fix a car. You may learn what it takes to build a car, but then you still haven't got the manual skills to actually do it.

The only engineers who make it out from Uni and straight into a good job are the extremely intelligent ones, or the people who have worked with their hands for many years prior. The rest will end up packing my groceries.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Going to university doesnt make you an expert, or even that intelligent. You'll learn a lot of theories that dont really apply to anything useful, and then you'll come out 5 years later with a slip of paper that says you can do anything.
Yeah, that's why I'm actually not going to go to Adelaide uni, a "top 8" uni apparently. Uni SA seemed to do a lot more useful things, had a good work experience program where people got jobs still in uni, had an informative lecture that ran on time, had a lot of projects for students and seemed to build up a whole range of practical skills. Adelaide uni... ran overtime by a lot, unorganized lecturer, and it was too theory based for me... by the sounds of thing you only did one project in the final year and you don't have to build it yourself and find all the pitfalls.
So yeah, I totally agree with your quote.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

You're still not going to learn how to fix a car. Let alone diagnose problems, which is the hard part.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Going off on a slight tangent, Im now refusing to ever take my car to a garage, ever again. Once a year, you are legally obliged to get a garage to check the car for the MOT, so the car is deemed roadworthy. They offered to service the car ''cheaply'' while it was there, and being a busy man of late, I agreed.

I picked it up at 9pm, after work. I drove 12 miles home, put the car in the garage and went to bed. When I went to the car the next morning, I noticed a huge crack along the windscreen, my drivers electric window wouldnt work, and my exhaust is blowing. The garage wont accept liability because I (very, very stupidly in retrospect) drove the car back at night without checking. So on top of the ludicrous bill I received for the MOT, Im now stuck with £150 worth of windscreen to pay for, Ive spent most of the day trying to bodge my motor back together for the window, and Ive had to cover my cat at either side in instant-gasket. Joy. Ill put up a quick pic of the damage soon. On top of all that, the mechanic who did the work commented on how ''easily'' the car went sideways... :roll:

On the plus side, Im now an official photographer for Ma5da Racing. :P :mrgreen:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

What the . . . how did they manage to do all of that? If it was just a cheapie service, then all they would've touched is the drain plug :| The sideways thing is disappointing too. Did someone recommend this place to you? Or was it just 'on the way home'.

There are honest workshops out there . . . somewhere :mrgreen:

And nice work landing the photo deal. Make sure you post a few samples.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Its actually a guy who has done work for me before, but this is the first time hes had to take it to the garage where he works and leave it with someone else to work on, as hes not an MOT tester. Heres a pic of the damage:

As you can see, its a pretty hefty crack. I can only guess the drivers window was damaged when they were hooning around in it, and the exhaust was moved as it was touching the rear valance. Ive had the motor on the door apart today, but Im going to have to come up with some bodgery to get it working again...
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Oh crap, looks like the workshop problems are everywhere .. you can't rely on a workshop these days.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

heh, last time my dad got his car tested at some random place the guys accidently wrecked the speedometer.
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You're still not going to learn how to fix a car. Let alone diagnose problems, which is the hard part.
I know... I pick up a thing or two from reading, but I want to ultimately be involved in the development of cars... the sciency stuff.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

baumaxx1 wrote:I know... I pick up a thing or two from reading, but I want to ultimately be involved in the development of cars... the sciency stuff.
Well, you could start buy using technical terms, unlike "sciency stuff" :lol:
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

@ Baumaxx: If I were you, I'd start by modifying cars, and work my way up to owning an independent supercar manufacturing company like Noble or McLaren. :D (Yes, I know I'm never going to get a job that cool, but I can dream, can't I?)

@ Grez: Wow, what a ripoff. The word "cheaply" should have put up a red flag in your mind, in my opinion; but hey, I guess if you were busy and it sounded like a good deal, I can understand - if you had other things to do, I guess spending a few hours fixing your car may not have sounded appealing; but hey, it might be more than "a few" hours now. I feel bad for you, man - but at least, you've taught people like me ("padawans") that we can't trust pretty much any garage; as Bogan said, there
boganbusman wrote:are honest workshops out there... somewhere :mrgreen:
- but quite obviously, they aren't easy to find.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

RedCarDriver wrote:
@ Grez: Wow, what a ripoff. The word "cheaply" should have put up a red flag in your mind, in my opinion; but hey, I guess if you were busy and it sounded like a good deal, I can understand - if you had other things to do, I guess spending a few hours fixing your car may not have sounded appealing; but hey, it might be more than "a few" hours now. I feel bad for you, man - but at least, you've taught people like me ("padawans") that we can't trust pretty much any garage; as Bogan said, there
boganbusman wrote:are honest workshops out there... somewhere :mrgreen:
- but quite obviously, they aren't easy to find.
Its a guy my family have used for years, and in all fairness to him he was the guy that set the suspension geometry up on my car - the only modification I havent done myself. I genuinely cant believe how Ive been shafted now though. :(
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Porsche-AG wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:I know... I pick up a thing or two from reading, but I want to ultimately be involved in the development of cars... the sciency stuff.
Well, you could start buy using technical terms, unlike "sciency stuff" :lol:
Lol... fine, the technology and science of the automobile and applying scientific principles to automotive design to ensure maximum performance, safety, comfort, efficiency and practicality.... so I sound smarter. I use a lot of casual talk, but I'm a smart geek inside.
@ Baumaxx: If I were you, I'd start by modifying cars, and work my way up to owning an independent supercar manufacturing company like Noble or McLaren. :D (Yes, I know I'm never going to get a job that cool, but I can dream, can't I?)
There's GM Holden, aviation to work in, marine applications, and I can pick up heaps of stuff from there, go into after market development and... yeah. Not fussed, it would be a dream to have your own company, but i like the design part rather than management. But yeah... about starting by modifying cars... not so easy... it's risky, eats cash, and I'm dong engineering, which is different to a mechanic.
chimpzrl
Drift King
Drift King

Post by chimpzrl »

I have decided to sell my project car because I just haven't the time or money to fix it.

And I have now bought this glorious specimen:

This, gentlemen, is a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire (read Chevrolet Cavalier). That's 2.2 liters of raging 4 cylinder American averageness, baby. Rides smooth and pulls decently for what it is, though. Far more practical than what I was driving.

EDIT: I noticed though, looking at it, that it is really quite ugly. Actually, the more I look at it now, the uglier it gets. Also, the previous owner has informed me that it's name is Ziggy. I dunno why.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Congrats for your new car.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I noticed though, looking at it, that it is really quite ugly. Actually, the more I look at it now, the uglier it gets. Also, the previous owner has informed me that it's name is Ziggy. I dunno why.
Yeah, America struggled to make something pleasing to the eye after the muscle era.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

baumaxx1 wrote:
I noticed though, looking at it, that it is really quite ugly. Actually, the more I look at it now, the uglier it gets. Also, the previous owner has informed me that it's name is Ziggy. I dunno why.
Yeah, America struggled to make something pleasing to the eye after the muscle era.
99% agree with you, but I must say that the Z06, Viper and various other american 'muscles' don't look too bad...
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, a few exceptions, but seriously below par of many countries.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Striker94 wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:
99% agree with you, but I must say that the Z06, Viper and various other american 'muscles' don't look too bad...
If we're talking 'Vettes, there's no looking past the ZR1. The Viper SRT10 is just manic and all the better for it. The thing is though, the GT, while not in production and a bit dearer, out-accelerates and I'm pretty sure out-speeds them both.

Return to “The Cars”