CPU Reset

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

CPU Reset

Post by Sursion »

Okay, so my cars CPU reset button is right under the steering wheel in plain sight. I've personally never gotten a laptop and messed around with the car, but I'm not sure what previous owners have done to it. I was at my Aunts house and my cousin pushed the CPU reset button, so now I'm wondering whether the car's performance is 80% worse than what it was before. I personally haven't noticed a difference, but I haven't been driving it very long.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: CPU Reset

Post by boganbusman »

Do you mean ECU, not CPU? If you haven't noticed any difference, and if the car still runs properly then don't worry about it.

Actually I find it strange that there is a reset button under the dash. Are you sure that's what it does? Does your car have an aftermarket ECU?
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sursion »

It's a little red button under the steering wheel with a plug next to it for a laptop. I asked someone about it and he said you plug your laptop in and you can change your car stats and stuff. I'm pretty sure he said CPU, not ECU (hopefully).

Edit: Actually, there may be an aftermarket ECU in it. The car has a supercharger in it, which I'm positive was not there when it came off the assembly line
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well like I said, if your car runs fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pictures?
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sursion »

I'm currently staying at someone elses house, but I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

I have to admit, though most ECUs come with a reset button, thats the first Ive heard of one which is so readily available, and simply one button. IMO, that points to a bodged install, or someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about telling you its a reset button....

As for what it'll do, it'll revert back to a base-map of some kind, returning A:F ratios, fuelling curves, injector duty etc all back to a ''safe'' zone. You might have noticed poorer MPG and performance if you'd known the cars characteristics before. There is no simple fix really, only a rolling road/mapping session.

Id say its more likely he pushed the cigarette lighter in or something. :mrgreen:
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sursion »

Definantly not a cigarette lighter

You can see it from the drivers seat without bending over of anything. If you ask me it's a little stupid to put a big red button there if you didn't want people pushing it.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Definitely NOS.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Is that even your ECU? Most ECUs are pretty big (mine is around 200mm x 200mm), and are often located either in the passenger footwell, or occasionally in the engine bay itself. I cant really see it since the pic is blurred, but that looks more like a fusebox to me, with it being so small.

As for what the red button could be, Im still sceptical its a reset button. As an example, to reset my ECU, you have to unscrew the whole thing, then connect two terminals, then press two buttons and hold them. Then to complete it, you have to turn the engine off, then back on and leave it for 10 minutes while it ''learns'' the characteristics I mentioned before. Oh, and to get to the ECU, you have to remove all the passenger carpets, a sill kicker-plate and the glovebox. I went out in a friends MP62 powered MK2 on Friday, and even though that was running a stand-alone ECU, the only difference to look at was a Link chip under the steering column.

IMO, it suggests...

-Something novel, most likely nasty such as neon lighting. When I first bought my S13, I had something very similar. I traced the wires and found one neon light that the owner clearly couldnt be arsed to remove, though he had removed another 5. I also have a similar switch in my car at the moment for the ''sleepy'' headlights.

-Im guessing it was mentioned in jest, but yes it could be an N20 activation switch. This would be obvious with an engine bay pic as we'd be able to see the jets. That said, if he was running N20 and theres no sign of a progressive controller, then for the love of God take the kit off.

-If it is an ECU reset switch, then whoever owned it before you was a bodge-monkeying retard. Id suggest tracking them down with a shovel and some lime, followed by a trip to some remote hills. :mrgreen:
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

It does appear to have an OBDII connector though. How odd.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Sursion I think you should pull your dash apart and find out where that wire goes, and the OBDII as well.
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sursion »

It's not a fusebox, the car already has one on the side of the dash

I haven't had a chance to take the dashboard apart, but I did some more looking and I found ANOTHER red button. It's held in place, unlike the first red button that has been pushed (it's loose). It's located behind the center console.

steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

What make of car is it? I've seen OBDII slots there before, but only on a handfull of VAG cars which have had the the engine bays smoothed and that have been fitted with stand-alone ECU's.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Umm most cars have the ODBII plug under the dash.

And I think he has a Camaro, iirc.
Sursion
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Sursion »

That's right. I do have a Camaro. 1994
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Another button?! This thread just got twice as interesting!
Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote: -Im guessing it was mentioned in jest
'Twas. :mrgreen:

Do you have anyway to contact the previous owner? You just might have to take the time to follow the wires to their source.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

boganbusman wrote:Umm most cars have the ODBII plug under the dash.
Really? The S2's OBD was in the glovebox, but that had been fettled before I bought it. The M3's was in the engine bay and the 964's was behind the rear seats.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well there are a few exceptions, like you mentioned, but most of the ones that I've seen (maybe 80%) were under the dash. I guess some manufacturers like to make it harder by hiding the plug somewhere else :P
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The ECU on the Porsche is as the back, so to make sure you only get it serviced by Porsche dealers they hid it ;)

Return to “The Cars”