Windows Help... (RESOLVED!!!)

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Windows Help... (RESOLVED!!!)

Post by Carcrazy »

Thank's to Stereo for your help... :P

Okay... I've just about given up trying to make this thing work... (another freakin' Windows Vista error...)

The good news: Got my new computer parts!
The bad news: None of them freakin' work... >.<*

Part List:
ABiT AW9D-MAX MoBo
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum (DDR800)
BFG 7600GT (<-- My Suspect)
Maxtor 80GB Sata HDD (Temporary...)
Windows Vista Home Premium

These things have been a dog from installation to current, hell, even getting them out of the box was messed up! :lol:

For the sake of not typing a crap load, I'm gonna skip the old stuff, and go on to my current problem...
VISTA WON'T F****** INSTALL!
It's constantly freezing, not so much to begin with, but on the final step, after everything has been copied to the hard drive. It will either (A) freeze on the loading screen that says (c)Microsoft Corporation, (B) freeze where it says "Windows is preparing to start for the first time......" or (C), after the installation comes back up, it will appear to work for about a minute, then freeze again. I think that, since I can boot into safe mode just fine, it is a driver error. My thought, the video card.I've tried booting into Safe Mode and bypassing the error saying "Windows cannot finish installing in safe mode, please restart the computer" by pressing SHIFT+F10 (or F7, don't remember which - lol.) Anyway... tried loading the Generic VGA Driver, (Microsoft's recommendation,) and also the WDDM 7600GT driver... both come up with a Code1 error, (Device is not configured.) Downloaded the latest forceware and burned it to a CD... opened the setup file from the command prompt... it runs long enough to copy the drivers to the HDD then will give me an error saying there is another installation panel open... (I'm guessing, Window's Installation...) anyway... the new drivers are already copied onto the hard drive, open device manager again, try to install these, same problem... I've thought about installing XP then upgrading from that, but I don't know where my old disks went, and most are broken...

I've tried EVERY setting in the BIOS I can think of... I honestly have NO IDEA how to fix this. If someone can help me, I'd be GREATLY appreciative...

Thanks, Carcrazy.

--EDIT-- I just tried uninstalling the graphics card completely, like, as in clean out of the case... I'll let it run for an hour, but I think it's frozen... I don't see the HDD LED doing anthing... :?
Last edited by Carcrazy on 10 Mar 2008, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Windows Help...

Post by Stereo »

This happened to me. I think I used a Ubuntu LiveCD and used GParted to format the installation disk of where I wanted to put Vista, and then I disconnected EVERYTHING but my mouse and keyboard (don't disconnect internal PC parts)
Voila!
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I've got my PClinuxOS CD up on my desk... (lol)
So try formatting it with that?
I'll try it and report back... I just tried it without the gfx card in again, also took out the audio card, but I still don't see the HDD LED reporting any activity, so I'll probably just try formatting it with linux...

--EDIT--
Interesting...
"Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.....Missing Operating System"
I'll look for a new ISO I can (legally) burn... I swear, if this turns out to be it because I took a shortcut to not burn another CD, I'll kill myself. (My original problem was because I was to lazy to remove the 2nd GB of ram, because I didn't think it'd work...) :lol:
--After Reboot--
Got it again! This could actually be good news... :lol:
It means I may have my answer why it won't finish, this is the first time it's happened though...

--EDIT2--
I've tried going on Microsoft's website to get a 64-bit DVD, but I get an error each time... "No offer found." I've used two different key's (My Desktop and my laptop's,) and now I get a "You have exceeded your retry limit blah blah blah...
I'm going to try burning an Acer disk from my laptop, but it probably won't work because of the Abit mobo, and how it's not an Acer... does anyone know how I can legally get my hands on a Vista DVD? I'm going to try to get up with a friend to see if I can barrow theirs... but I doubt I'll be able to find them before Monday. :(
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

*borrowing* a friends DVD won't work. You can't imagine the security that MS put into Vista against code-stealing... I thought you had a legit version.

Just get a legal copy from MS. I got my Home Basic copy for $10 on their site once. =D
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I have a legal copy... :roll:
I can tell how my wording could be mistaken but trust me, I don't screw when it comes to operating systems... you never know what can be put into those things... :lol:
(It actually cost me $120, if you want to share how your's cost $10, you're more than welcome to.) :lol:

Anyway... No, it's not the DVD. It's the way Linux formatted the drive... I also tried using the DVD from my Acer, didn't work for obvious reasons. :lol:

It's obviously a conflict with Vista, because XP installed just fine. If it wasn't for the fact that this XP disk was of XP Pro, I'd but Vista on it... guess I just have to wait intill someone can find a solution. Could the fact that the mobo has a X975 chipset? I know it's not the newest stuff but still... I really don't understand why Vista won't install on it...

Still looking for answers... Thanks! :P
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Carcrazy wrote:I have a legal copy... :roll:
I can tell how my wording could be mistaken but trust me, I don't screw when it comes to operating systems... you never know what can be put into those things... :lol:
(It actually cost me $120, if you want to share how your's cost $10, you're more than welcome to.) :lol:

Anyway... No, it's not the DVD. It's the way Linux formatted the drive... I also tried using the DVD from my Acer, didn't work for obvious reasons. :lol:

It's obviously a conflict with Vista, because XP installed just fine. If it wasn't for the fact that this XP disk was of XP Pro, I'd but Vista on it... guess I just have to wait intill someone can find a solution. Could the fact that the mobo has a X975 chipset? I know it's not the newest stuff but still... I really don't understand why Vista won't install on it...

Still looking for answers... Thanks! :P
Just go get Ubuntu and use GParted. There's NTFS and FAT32 and linux formatting choices. It works great for me.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

PClinuxOS has the same thing... there are like 3 different NTFS formats, so I guess I just chose the wrong one... :lol:

I honestly am beginning to think it's a RAM issue... everything on the computer, (and I mean EVERYTHING,) slows down if I install the 2'nd stick of RAM. The thing gets so slow, even the motherboard freezes if I try to enter setup. It will boot windows, but here's an example. It can't even run Test Drive Unlimited smoothly on LOW at a 640 resolution. Normally, (if I only have 1GB installed,) I can run it with everything maxxed out at 1280. Plus, alot of the people who were posting with errors, were actually running OCZ memory. Any ideas, (other than buy some new RAM...)?

Oh yeah, just a little more info...
If I try to install the 2nd Gig of ram, during the post an error will come up saying "Fail-safe defaults have been loaded."
Also, none of my Prime95 test brought up errors, and these things have been run all day, (including yesterday.) Totaling well over 24 hours. Please note, this was with one module installed.
Also, the two sticks will NOT run in dual-channel mode like they are supposed to, and yes, dual-channel is supported by the board.

--EDIT--
This should be illegal... I've never had a successful flash!
BIOS Version 12-> Version 16
Flash In Progress... Will report Back!

--EDIT2--
Restarting... WOW- It burns! It burns my eyes! :lol:
Having to re-setup CPU.
Will reply momentarily...
----
Besides an ugly-tail splash screen... it looks like the flash was successful. Weather it will help with my problem, is yet to be found...
Bad start, BSOD as soon as I set uGuru to turbo mode... (Lightly overclocked)
I think I can deal with an ugly boot screen :lol:
RAM issue has been partly fixed, can now enter into the BIOS with 2GB of RAM.
I guess I'll try vista again... :P
Will Post back!

--Final Edit--
^^(Hopefully)^^

YES! The RAM was causing the error... I'm guessing the OCZ RAM must not have been supported with the Version 12 BIOS! :P
Can now enter the Setup menu, and even got Vista to install, wicked fast I might add! :P
Intel & Abit FTW! 8)
taz947
Professional
Professional

Re: Windows Help... (RESOLVED!!!)

Post by taz947 »

Wut?! Is it related to this topic ?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

What was that post all about? Nonsense bump?
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

There was a spambot message, which I deleted.
No reason to respond to those.
lol wut

Return to “The Hardware & Software”