Talk about NFS - SHIFT

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Talk about NFS - SHIFT

Post by Bojan »

Yup the camera does move back a bit, the view blurs, not sure about the hands on the wheel though. After a crash camera does shake and everything gets completely blurred for a sec or two. The detail in the game is amazing!
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

i can't wait. SHIFT looks absolutely phenominal. i hope it has more unique body kits [-o< . UC had the exact body kit for every car(most of the classic muscle cars had the same) the only difference was the wide-body kits #-o . even those are kinda old, but we'll see. new vynals would be cool too 8) .
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

SHIFT is looking very promising. In development for almost three years? I'm really looking forward to this game.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

No wonder UC was a faliure - because they're putting so much effort on Shift, which is a good thing. :)
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Indeed.

Therefore I wouldn't have minded if there was no NFS for 2008. EA probably wanted to compete with Rockstar's MC:LA.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Andre_online wrote:No wonder UC was a faliure - because they're putting so much effort on Shift, which is a good thing. :)
SHIFT is a completely outsourced game. There's only a couple of producers from EA working on it, the rest is Slightly Mad Studios.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

Bojan wrote:
Andre_online wrote:No wonder UC was a faliure - because they're putting so much effort on Shift, which is a good thing. :)
SHIFT is a completely outsourced game. There's only a couple of producers from EA working on it, the rest is Slightly Mad Studios.
i'm fine with that. i just want a new, enjoyable game with decent achievements (i.e. the "master" races in UC were a series of JOKES :evil: )
aryamen
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aryamen »

Hey guys,

I was just browsing to find updated news about SHIFT and I suddenly came over this:
8 new ingame SHIFT images from a swedish site:

http://www.gamereactor.se/bild/?textid=17123&id=177731

Simply click on the lower righthand corner link to enlarge the image.

Looks awesome and yes I think GRID/PGR 4 is a good guesstimate!

Enjoy...
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
2GB DDR-RAM
nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512MB
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I think Shift is the first non-Blackbox NFS since Blackbox was formed, right? I think the first Blackbox game was UG2, and you can certainly see how that studio performed. I think the fact that Slightly Mad worked on Shift is alone a reason enough for me to get a little excited.

BTW, the Shift wiki is operational. If anybody's editing, please follow the guidelines I listed in the discussion page.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

prince1142003 wrote:I think Shift is the first non-Blackbox NFS since Blackbox was formed, right? I think the first Blackbox game was UG2, and you can certainly see how that studio performed. I think the fact that Slightly Mad worked on Shift is alone a reason enough for me to get a little excited.

BTW, the Shift wiki is operational. If anybody's editing, please follow the guidelines I listed in the discussion page.
I think it started with HP2, but the wiki's may be wrong.
Bojan wrote: SHIFT is a completely outsourced game. There's only a couple of producers from EA working on it, the rest is Slightly Mad Studios.
Its a sign that Black Box needs to be shut down entirely.

Hopefully Shift sells well and forces EA use their brain and put 2 and 2 together.
korge
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

HP2 was EA Canada. They bought Black Box Studios in 2003. Since Underground came out in 2003, I didn't consider that to be one of Black Box's games.

EA is putting 2 and 2 together. The NFS series has had so many different reincarnations over the years that it has picked up a very distinct fanbase. One side prefers the track based racing prevalent in pre-Underground times, and the other side prefers the tuning, customization, and illicit racing prevalent in the recent games. The fact that EA is releasing more than one NFS, each targeted towards a different faction shows me that at least they've realised that it's hopeless to satisfy both factions with simply one game and attempting to satisfy one faction and not the other always leads to backlash (ProStreet and Undercover).
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

prince1142003 wrote:HP2 was EA Canada. They bought Black Box Studios in 2003. Since Underground came out in 2003, I didn't consider that to be one of Black Box's games.

EA is putting 2 and 2 together. The NFS series has had so many different reincarnations over the years that it has picked up a very distinct fanbase. One side prefers the track based racing prevalent in pre-Underground times, and the other side prefers the tuning, customization, and illicit racing prevalent in the recent games. The fact that EA is releasing more than one NFS, each targeted towards a different faction shows me that at least they've realised that it's hopeless to satisfy both factions with simply one game and attempting to satisfy one faction and not the other always leads to backlash (ProStreet and Undercover).
i couldn't agree more. you can never satisfy two completly opposite parties at the same time.

it looks slightly like Forza in the way the cars are pre-made to look like Le Mans carshttp://www.7extrememotorsports.com/lema ... gtr-01.JPG
it doesn't bother me none, knowing that the interior (as well as the exterior) is fully customizable.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Take the words fully customizable with a grain of salt.

Anyways, This has nothing to do with "satisfying" two parties. Since when was Nfs ever a sim? This isnt what the people were asking for. And World Online is just a rerelease of Mostwanted and Carbon. I dont really see where you are getting your logic from.
korge
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

TNFS was a sim. At least to the extent that was possible with technology in those days. I consider Porsche Unleashed to be a sim. Haven't played any other pre-Underground NFSs, so I can't say anything about them. Btw, EA never said that Shift would be a true sim. We could be looking at a hybrid, kind of like ProStreet was.

And what the people were asking for depends on how you look at it, korge. There were a lot of us who wanted NFS to go back to its roots. Which is basically what Shift is trying to do, if you ask me.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I probably won't be buying SHIFT. If the physics are like PGR I'm already in strife because I don't like PGR's physics. And if it's like Forza then it is basically another ProStreet. In my opinion Forza's physics are near identical to ProStreet's. The perfect NFS game to me would be either a simulation using Race Driver GRID style physics with real tuners and everything customisable, or a Burnout-style arcade game except with real cars (not fictional like Burnout) and mods akin to Underground 2. Once again everything visual is customisable, but like Underground and UG2 the performance goes in packages.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I'd like it to be a full sim, like GTR Evolution or BMW M3 Challenge or something. Grid wasn't a sim.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

More of a sim than ProStreet and Forza were.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

ProStreet is nowhere near Forza's physics. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Forza's is a lot like GT and that means pretty accurate. ProStreet was more on the arcade side.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

If GT5 is 100% sim physics, then Forza 2 is 95%, then SHIFT will be 80%, then ProStreet was 55%, then Undercover was 30%.

Thats my opinion. :P
korge
vZv
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vZv »

Overall SHIFT looks good and promising, BUT !!! NFS as a sim ??? This kills fun for me, I dont want physics of Undercover either, but Underground 1 or Most Wanted physics is good enough, that's my opinion... I interested in non-announced arcade racing EA is preparing...
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Please read clearly before saying things like "z0mg NFS r b3c0m1ng phull s1m". It is NOT a sim, but rather a more realistic driving experience than previous NFS games with better physics and closed circuits.

If you want an NFS game with Most Wanted type physics, go to the thread that deals with the upcoming NFS:World Online, which I would assume has that type of driving.

@ korge: Forza 3 (yes, three, when it comes out) could go into that list as probably 98%, PGR4 would probably be 70-75%, and Burnout would be 10 - 25%.

@ Bojan: So true, people probably just assume that because of its closed tracks, which will probably be the case for SHIFT as well.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

My opinion about SHIFT's physics: the setup I've driven comes pretty close to Forza2. I'm not sure how many assists were on though, but I can say that TCS was off and ABS was on.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

korge wrote:If GT5 is 100% sim physics, then Forza 2 is 95%, then SHIFT will be 80%, then ProStreet was 55%, then Undercover was 30%.

Thats my opinion. :P
i'm not so sure on your figures, but whatever floats your boat and keeps your feet dry.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Bojan wrote:ProStreet is nowhere near Forza's physics. I'm not sure where you got that idea. Forza's is a lot like GT and that means pretty accurate. ProStreet was more on the arcade side.
I got that idea from playing both Forza 2 and ProStreet on the same day. I will be honest, pay me out all you like, I do not firmly believe that Forza 2 is very realistic.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Forza is completely different from ProStreet, in PS FWD cars managed to UNDERSTEER when you let go the trottle and oversteer when you floored it.... it should be the other way around, they should have lift of oversteer, not lift of understeer.... it feels very weird.

Forza is pretty much correct, if you tune the car it will react differently and it you can make a car more prone to over or understeer, stuff like tire temperature does affect your grip, same goes for downforce.

But can we as gamers REALLY know if something feels correct? I have no clue how a Audi R10 drives... do you?

Return to “SHIFT”