SHIFT Patch Details Announced

Need for Speed SHIFT News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Re: SHIFT Patch Details Announced

Post by Summ »

Bojan wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:For me I'm looking forward to the fixes for the Corvette and Viper; I'm tired of having to quit online manufacturer races with those cars 'cause I know I'll never leave the start line. Besides that, framerate improvements will also be welcome. Bring it on! :D
Simply meaning that none of the issues are as big as Summ is painting them.
For him maybe. Maybe you forget about the big chunk of players, who either have unplayable frame rates because they are ATi owners or experience all manners of random or systematic (first lap) crashes. Issues that prevent people from properly playing this game are not big in your world?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

A big chunk being a really small percentage of the players. I'm not saying I like the fact that the product has issues for any number of people. I also don't like the fact it's taking them one and a half months to fix what should've been fixed max a week after release. Sadly it's what everybody is doing lately (not limited to the games industry) and it has become an acceptable practice.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

That's exactly my point - the fact that it is common practice does not make it (more) acceptable.

As for the big chunk being small - As far as I know, ATi won fair and square the last release of graphics cards with the HD4870 over nVidia's 2xx series. Sales numbers confirm this. This means that the bigger chunk of prevalent customers ARE ATi users. So, I don't know where you're getting your intel from or what you are basing your statements on, but the sizeable chunk of players is actually sizeable. Sorry to disappoint.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

My small percentage of players comes from the fact that the PC sales account to less than 5% of total sales and ati users being what, 50% of those and only a certain percentage of those reporting problems...
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Granted, pc sales have been far less than console sales, but given that we're talking 100 million copies +, even a 2.5% of that is still a rather sizeable chunk of players left stranded and unable to play the game decently. Regardless of the size of the target group, the issues at hand for pc users ARE severe and inexcusable. Aside from that, the various, still severe, bugs like the performance downgrade for the Lambo and the bouncing bug are cross-platform - also things that belong in a beta and not in the final version.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

It's not right to interfere with your debating, but it's a public forum so what the heck. the thing is you guys are debating different versions, obviously Summ is referring to the PC version (where I got the same issues like he did with random crashes and frame drops), GT and Bojan refers to the console versions who got other type of issues and bugs which doesn't really make the game that unplayable like the PC version, i'd go with Summ here, watching the whole thing from a PC version player. I might passed the crashing thing but i don't like playing the game with certain visual options turned off, just for the love of driving some cars around the track. So, i'm waiting this patch with interest, in that case i might remove the dust from the NFS icon on the desktop.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Summ wrote:Granted, pc sales have been far less than console sales, but given that we're talking 100 million copies +,
You know that's for the whole NFS series right?

I personally think if that's EA's way of though, then they should quit making NFS for the PC, cause if it's just 5% of all sales and you clearly don't care to perfect the game for a certain system because of low sales, then why not dump it all together.
It would make it a whole lot easier.

I'm glad that for NFS WO, they chosen to build a public beta for it so people can test it and find the glitches and bugs, and that's on a (if all goes well) free game.
If EA does the same and ask NFS games to participate in a public beta game and report the bugs so they can be fixed before release, cause then you know in a few days where the major bugs are and you can fix them before the game ships, instead of 1.5 month after release.
IMO EA will gain some much needed respect by doing this, cause it shows players they really care about their product.
And it's a cheap option cause you don't have to pay the gamers to play the game and you don't have to test it yourself you just receive the feedback and have to fix it.

But he who am I?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

TheStig wrote:But he who am I?
Indeed. Just who is TheStig?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

GT3x24x7 wrote:
TheStig wrote:But he who am I?
Indeed. Just who is TheStig?
Epic! :lol:
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

open beta's should be done because that way both sides get a better product in the end(if i was making a game i would like to make it bug free for everyone and also myself too....) and people will buy more because its better and would show that the developer actually cares for customers and not just their money.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

TheStig wrote:You know that's for the whole NFS series right?
No, I didn't.. lol
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

Summ wrote:
TheStig wrote:You know that's for the whole NFS series right?
No, I didn't.. lol
epic fail summ, i dont know i never really got much of a problem from shift never (uses pc) never crash never froze never bounced never drop frams, i once in a blue moon got a graphic slip "grass on road" and load tims a bit and maybe one or two other things.

And how could u of not known 100 million copies is for all nfs its posted everywhere.

and ur comparing things way off each other real life cars to games and u cant forget how ford/firestone screwed up with there suv's that one year and caused alot of deaths and crashes.

and i agree with gt and sig u take ur opinions way to far
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

TheNoobofFerraris wrote:Looks to be a good patch. Is there anyone out there anticipating these fixes?
Very much so. I am hoping that improving the game stability fixes the odd bug that I found when I purchased a wide screen and the game crashes everytime I start a race now (worked fine on the old 17" screen).
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

I have mixed opinions here. In a way I agree with Bojan and GT, and by the other side I also agree with summ, but what I totally hate from the whole EA "beta testing" is that it gives you the feeling that never happened. I mean, I bought my game, open the box, put the disc in, install and then I play, but damn! something happened: My game isn't showing the language selection screen...doh! Was my problem? Did I caused that bug? Heck! I paid for something that it is suppose to work. Ok, I try again: WOW! it now works (after restarting my pc). I go to the race and then my car starts to bounce...ups! Did I do something wrong? I think not.

You see? clearly the fault is the developer and not the consumer, I mean, how we were suppose to know that the game had problems? And that people, is totally unacceptable to me. And hell, I've had patience with EA since Undercover, which I gladly sold (X360) and saved money for Shift, which turned to be a buggy mess. The game is awesome, it has nice graphics, car handling is not as realistic but is just like I love to drive in arcade games, not like ProStreet, plenty selection of cars, awesome interior feeling and others...but it has flaws, flaws that can't give the experience that its advertised in the box, web site, trailer, among others. I also understand in someway the developers, which may have worked like crazy to finish the game and other stuff, but we're talking about money, and when that happens, IMHO the customer is the one that has the right here to demand for a functional product and not something that randomly crashes or malfunctions with a crazy pattern. That is not cool.

But anyways, I'm not too worried. Apart from getting Shift for PC, I bought Forza Motorsport 3 LC Edition and damn! I just forgot that I have Shift's box under a pile of other racing games lol. It's just addicting as hell, many cars, many tracks, and the online experience is just perfect.

@Bojan, you should seriously talk to any EA rep or developer about the "patch", "glitches and bugs" issues, I know you're the man who is closer to them. This is something that it hasn't existed only in Shift (and you know it), but in previous NFS games since Most Wanted (anyone remember the jagged shadows, massive stuttering and other things?). I mean seriously, i don't want Criterion mistery game to have any type of critical bugs or malfunctions, that would kill the whole NFS experience for the rest of the series. Hope Criterion is taking notes from the mistakes Slightly Mad Studio has made.

Return to “News”