jacoja06's Toyota Celica's

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

jacoja06's Toyota Celica's

Post by jacoja06 »

I thought I might make an effort to post my cars on this section of the forum, especially after TheStig posted his brilliant new 7th generation Celica T sport earlier on today. :D

Well, here are my two rides. Two Toyota celica's, 10 years apart.

1999 (7th gen) Toyota Celica SX

Colour: Liquid Silver
Engine: 1.8L VVTL-i
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Modifications:
- Celica 16" ZR rims
- "Arctic blue" headlamps, Which I plan to take back out, because they're exactly the same colour and brightness as standard headlights, only they cost twice as much. :x
- Removed hideous side stickers
- Custom plates ('xx' 'xx' WA)
- Bluetooth/GPS/DVD/AUX input system
- Facelift tail lights

Planned Modifications/changes:
- Proper HID headlights
- Lowered suspension - (May not be needed... too many potholes or poorly designed carparks, where the trim can get damaged.)
- Leather interior

Click images to view in 1024x768 resolution.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

1989 (4th gen) Toyota Celica SX (ST162).

Colour: Super Red II
Engine: 2.0L 3S-GE
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Modifications (during my ownership):

Window tint (Darkest legal :P)
Dvd player
Loads of replacement parts, and other minor changes.

Click images to view in 1024x768 resolution.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Updates to come... :D . Thanks for looking.
Last edited by jacoja06 on 12 Jun 2010, 13:46, edited 11 times in total.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Jacoja06’s Toyota Celica’s

Post by TheStig »

Nice to see you put up your cars here as well, I thought that you sold the T16 Celica but clearly you didn't.

I thing removing the stickers should be your first task, cause they give a bit of a cheap look to a otherwise very nice car ( :D )
A taillight conversion to the facelifted ones is imo a good choice, they do look better (just a tad cleaner, because they are basicly all red, then the ones you have now)

It nice that in Australia you always get the 2ZZ GE engine, cause that makes converting it to a higher spec model so much easier, cause making it look like a higher spec is a good thing, but you have to have the same engine etc or else it's well...I won't call it ricing but... you get my point.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ahh I miss my old ST162, that was a cool car. Good to see that you are still taking care of yours. Mine was a piece of crap and I never really did anything to fix it :lol:

Can't wait until you lower the new one, it looks way jacked up right now!
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Yay, more cars! Nice rides, man.

I gotta say, I think I like the ST162 more. I think it could be done up pretty nicely with the right suspension setup and some nice wheels (the ones on there don't look half bad, actually). You know what caught my eye that's sort of bugging me? That chrome trim going over the wheel arches... You should pop those off and spray them flat black. Just my opinion, though. :)
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

TheStig wrote:Nice to see you put up your cars here as well, I thought that you sold the T16 Celica but clearly you didn't.

I thing removing the stickers should be your first task, cause they give a bit of a cheap look to a otherwise very nice car ( :D )
A taillight conversion to the facelifted ones is imo a good choice, they do look better (just a tad cleaner, because they are basicly all red, then the ones you have now)

It nice that in Australia you always get the 2ZZ GE engine, cause that makes converting it to a higher spec model so much easier, cause making it look like a higher spec is a good thing, but you have to have the same engine etc or else it's well...I won't call it ricing but... you get my point.
Yep :)… but also the taillights on the facelifted version in Australia are different to the taillights you get in Euroupe. The ones you get over here (I think) have a different lighting layout, and are pink rather then red. I’d rather import a pair.

Yep... gotta remove the stickers asap.
boganbusman wrote:Ahh I miss my old ST162, that was a cool car. Good to see that you are still taking care of yours. Mine was a piece of crap and I never really did anything to fix it :lol:

Can't wait until you lower the new one, it looks way jacked up right now!
Aww… I didn’t know you sold your old Celica. That’s a shame. How do you get around, when your MR2 is scattered in pieces all around a garage?

My old car might look pretty schicky in the pictures… but the engine is nearly dead mechanically, as a result from its nasty oil leak a while ago (which it still has). The steering pulls to the right real badly… and one of the front tyres got a puncture a few days ago. I’ll might let it rest in a ‘secret’ shipping container we own in the hills till I can repair it again. I never plan on selling it.

Zero260 wrote:Yay, more cars! Nice rides, man.

I gotta say, I think I like the ST162 more. I think it could be done up pretty nicely with the right suspension setup and some nice wheels (the ones on there don't look half bad, actually). You know what caught my eye that's sort of bugging me? That chrome trim going over the wheel arches... You should pop those off and spray them flat black. Just my opinion, though. :)
Thanks. :) A few people have commented on the chromed arches… I actually like them, because I’ve never seen any other Celica on the road with them. I reckon they give the car a bit of charm, too. Hmm… maybe when I restore it one day.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

jacoja06 wrote:How do you get around, when your MR2 is scattered in pieces all around a garage?
Im borrowing an old Corolla from a workmate. It's the slowest car in the world :lol:
jacoja06 wrote:My old car might look pretty schicky in the pictures… but the engine is nearly dead mechanically, as a result from its nasty oil leak a while ago (which it still has).
That doesn't sound too good! Since you are going to keep the car as a long-term project, how about swapping in a 3S-GTE? It would be soooooo easy and cheap to put in. And the power wouldn't be too much.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Storing it wouldn't be a bad option I think.

And like Bogan said, a 3S GTE engine.... hmm
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Aah! Looks like I was only partially right about the taillights. The base and Tsport versions are slightly different from eachother. And the SX version (on the left) doesn’t look as pinkish as I thought. I must have just been imagining things.

boganbusman wrote:Im borrowing an old Corolla from a workmate. It's the slowest car in the world :lol:
That’s t3h sux. At least it’ll encourage you to work on your MR2 faster.
You make it sound so easy to do an engine swap with a 3S-GTE. I like to avoid doing any sort labour work like that.
Maybe I will though! It will need an engine replacement eventually.

… Would a 2ZZ GE be possible to fit? Or a newer Camry engine? :P

Edit: I also fitted a set of black custom slimline number plates today. Thay look pretty awesome compared to those crappy bent 'APR' plates that were on before. :D .
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The rear lights don't look so different. could just be a lighting issue in the pics, and the color of the surrounding bodywork has often something to do with it.

While looking at the difference between the ZR and the SX I found this:

Very nice celica :roll:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

TheStig wrote:While looking at the difference between the ZR and the SX I found this:

Very nice celica :roll:
lol. It has a suprising amount of work done to it though, apart from the bodywork and interior.
jacoja06 wrote:You make it sound so easy to do an engine swap with a 3S-GTE. I like to avoid doing any sort labour work like that.
Maybe I will though! It will need an engine replacement eventually.

… Would a 2ZZ GE be possible to fit? Or a newer Camry engine? :P
GTE would definitely be the easiest. It will bolt straight in like it was meant to be. Just make sure you get it with the standard ECU and wiring if possible. There's a few other things you will need but really it should be a piece of cake.

2ZZ will take a lot of work, like custom engine mounts, full custom wiring and aftermarket ECU, and modified fuel system. Plus you need a C-series gearbox, and it won't make anywhere near the same power as a GTE. It's very light though (lighter than my 4A-GE), which would be better for handling.

Camry V6, like a 3VZ or 1MZ is quite do-able (easier than 2ZZ). It will have nice fat torque but not rev very hard. Can make decent power though, there are some supercharger kits out there if you want to turn it up. 1MZ is preferable since it's a newer design and much lighter.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Holy hell… you know what you’re talking about. The 3S-GTE would be the best option then. Might look into it sometime in the future then :).

I finally put my old car at rest today, next to the shipping container (I’ll park it inside once I can make a ramp to drive it in). It was a very emotional drive to the container for me, knowing it would probably be the last for quite some time. The front tyre was almost flat, a plastic cover under the car was scraping against the road, the engine sounded like it was about to explode, there was a giant plume of black smoke from the back everytime I stepped on the throttle, and now there is a huge hole in the drivers side floor from the car-jack that went through earlier today (which was my fault). So it really deserves a long rest.

On another note, I spent the weekend taking the decals off with a hair-dryer. Looks a thousand times better… and I like the look of the new number plates :).

Also bought a 1:18 AutoART Mini-me :D:

TheStig wrote:The rear lights don't look so different. could just be a lighting issue in the pics, and the color of the surrounding bodywork has often something to do with it.
The indicator/ reverse light covers on the SX look to have a moulded pattern, but the ZR appears to have no patterns. Meh… when I go to the autoparts shop I’ll ask them about it. I’m probably wrong. :P

That link you posted made me cry. :x
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

jacoja06 wrote:and now there is a huge hole in the drivers side floor from the car-jack that went through earlier today (which was my fault)
:shock:
jacoja06 wrote:Holy hell… you know what you’re talking about.
lol, only because those engines were also options for my own car. All those swaps have been done on MR2s before. There's even a few guys in the US who are running V8s (or trying to).
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

boganbusman wrote: :shock:
Yeah... I feel like a complete knob for doing that. I picked a point under the car which looked to be strong... as though it was specifically built for a car jack. But it wasn't...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1307/p1030983.jpg
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6350/p1030984z.jpg

I might use the actual chassis to raise it next time. :idea:
boganbusman wrote:lol, only because those engines were also options for my own car. All those swaps have been done on MR2s before. There's even a few guys in the US who are running V8s (or trying to).
Ooh, a v8 MR2 =P~ .
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

It sure does look better without the stickers on it.

To bad about the old one... well a bit more work when you take it out again. :wink:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

omg man, you're supposed to jack it from the sill or a suspension mounting point. I've never seen anyone do that before!

The sill runs right along both sides of the car under the doors, pointing down at the ground. It looks thin and wimpy but it's actually mulitple players of steel that are crimped and spot welded together. There are also notches that indicate where to position the jack. Please use it next time . . .
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Yeah, the only reason I didn't do it on the sill was because it looked too narrow. You can't see, now that its gone into the hole... but there was a circular plate (one near each wheel) where it looked like a suitable spot. Retarded mistake... but I learnt for next time
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Re: jacoja06’s Toyota Celica’s

Post by jacoja06 »

Just a small update on the status on both cars.

Because of the recession, the company I work for had run dry of job positions in the city (where I usually catch public transport from home). Now though, I have a new office location which requires a bit over 100 kilometres of driving per day. My ’89 Celica was used as my daily workhorse, whilst I kept my newer car for weekend use.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention long ago that I resuscitated the old Celica... and it worked brilliantly.

A couple of weeks ago while I was on the way to work, my engine seized up as a result from further oil loss from the leaking gasket. The engine knocking noise has become much, much louder, the engine is now basically ruined, and the car is coughing blood. I now can only drive it below 2000rpm, at a top speed of 40kph with hazard lights on. It deserves a few years rest until I can get around to fitting it with a reconditioned engine.

My newer Celica is now the workhorse... racking up about 550kms per week :( .
At least today I bought it a late 10th birthday present. A neat looking Navigation/DVD/Bluetooth system built from an aftermarket company who specifically designed it for late model Toyotas. Looks very similar to a factory unit from Toyota, and from what I've seen... performs extremely well.

(google pic)

Yes it’s a copy, and it’s made in China... but seems like a very quality product for $550.
I’ll share a few pictures once it has arrived and once I've installed it. Very excited about all of this :D .
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

New pictures of installation! The head unit works extremely well. Bluetooth is of equal quality to the system in the Audi A3, and the sat-nav (although irritating at times) works excellent. Money well spent.
A few before and after shots:

Image Image Image
Image Image
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

That looks fantastic. Nice purchase.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Thanks a lot, Zero!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

looks very nice indeed!

nice fitment also :)
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

FINALLY, after many months of searching, I managed to buy a set of facelift tail lights! :D
I bought these babies for 90 pounds, from the UK about a month ago. They only made it to my doorstep a couple of days ago, through 'express' postage. The lights themselves were pretty scratched up, but I spend last night sanding them back in the bath tub... and they now look fantastic.
Installing was a pain, as I had to remove pretty much all plastics from the boot to gain access to one of the three tail light screws. Anyhow... here are some before and after pictures. They make the car look much more modern than the pre-facelift lights, imo.

Image Image Image Image

I've just ordered a set of LED brake and indicator lights to replace the bulbs. So they should arrive in about a week. I think they'll look good. And they should make my car more visible during low sunset. :)

Next I'm looking to add a bit of class to the interior with black leather seats.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: jacoja06's Toyota Celica's

Post by TheStig »

Looks great mate!

good to know you finally found a set, I also had a other set again, but was also sold the same day....
you did pay a good price for it. have fun with it :D
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Re: jacoja06's Toyota Celica's

Post by jacoja06 »

:D Thanks, Stig!

Actually, 90 pounds might not sound all that bad... but I forgot to mention the additional 50 pounds to actually ship it over here. I'm still very happy with the cost, considering the rarity and ridiculous price tag of the lights in Aus.

Return to “Your Rides”