Just want to talk? Come here.

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Just want to talk? Come here.

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I thought it just disappeared. And here I am still not using it. :lol: I did notice, however, that the Post Reply button is kinda effed up...
Attachments
Post_Reply.gif
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 3458 times
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Yeah I've got that as well, though I assumed that it was just my crappy browser.
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

WTF 1 page each 3 months... talk more guys :lol:
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I should talk more. Only 100 more posts to 9,000. :D
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Is General Discussion dying or something?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Well I can start by saying that a fortnight ago marked my 6th year being in this forum. :D
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Oh, hey, wha'd'ya know - today is my 5-year anniversary. O:
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Three for me.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Can't believe it's almost a year to the day since MJ passed...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Damn, as it really been that long? Feels like it's only been a couple months.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Any ideas for a car to replace my Skyline? I've been driving my sister's MX-5/Miata a few times lately and I would really love to have something like that, but there's only one in my price range. Preferably a coupe (although a couple of exceptions would be a Skyline Silhouette and a Liberty RX or GX AWD), and I would love to have a (decent) manual gearbox. The 4-speeder auto on The Cereal Box is starting to slip and I'm really getting the feel of driving a manual.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

An MX5 would be a great choice if you can afford one (surely the NAs are not that expensive?)
Otherwise, I would go for an S13 or a hotted-up Civic/Integra.

All of those cars have massive aftermarket support, good reliability and are fairly easy to work on.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

When I was looking for MX-5s I was looking at below 5k but now I've upped my price limit a bit and there's about 20 floating around on CarSales.

I've revised my criteria as well considering this and the fact that I do have a soft spot for sedans.

- Max I'm willing to spend is AU$7,000
- Preferably manual, but an auto would be okay if push comes to shove
- Sedans and coupes, not a real fan of hatchbacks, although there are a couple of exceptions
- Decent performance, but as I'm still on P-plates I'd like to avoid a turbocharged or V8 ride. I don't live in Victoria or New South Wales where they're illegal for P's but my insurance would be through the roof. If it's got decent handling and a comfortable ride, then that's fine.

I do have a question: Are BMW 3-series' actually as unreliable as some people have made them out to be? The specific model I was looking at earlier was an E36 320i.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Does "decent performance" mean straight-line speed? Because for $7000 you won't do much better than a Commodore/Falcon, or some other 6 cylinder boat.

Option #2 is to buy something small, light and cheap (like a Civic) and then chuck on some good suspension, pads and tyres. Most fun you could have on a budget, imo.

Option #3 is to forget about decent performance, and just get something that is comfortable and reliable. Keep it stock and maybe spend a bit on audio or something.
Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I do have a question: Are BMW 3-series' actually as unreliable as some people have made them out to be? The specific model I was looking at earlier was an E36 320i.
I wouldn't say 3-series are that bad, but they are definitely more expensive to maintain and therefore a lot of owners neglect them. And then they turn into crap.
Oh and they are also very slow.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:If it's got decent handling and a comfortable ride, then that's fine.
Yeah, my idea of decent performance isn't straight line speed. That's why I was looking at MX-5s originally. Something like that except a bit bigger and a bit more comfortable is pretty much my idea of a perfect car.
boganbusman wrote:Does "decent performance" mean straight-line speed? Because for $7000 you won't do much better than a Commodore/Falcon, or some other 6 cylinder boat.
I realise that it would be nice to have a big, high-powered tuner or muscle car but it's out of the question as a daily driver because it's mostly city driving that I'm doing where high power is pretty much useless.
boganbusman wrote:Option #2 is to buy something small, light and cheap (like a Civic) and then chuck on some good suspension, pads and tyres. Most fun you could have on a budget, imo.
I was looking at something like an Integra or CR-X but to be perfectly honest I much prefer rear-wheel-drive compared to front-wheel-drive which is the main reason why I'm trying to steer clear of the Hondas and Toyota Corollas.
boganbusman wrote:Option #3 is to forget about decent performance, and just get something that is comfortable and reliable. Keep it stock and maybe spend a bit on audio or something.
This is the option that seems to suit me the best. I like a long-distance cruiser that's comfortable and has all the bells and whistles, but I also enjoy a bit of "spirited driving", to put it simply, on the backroads. The Skyline is quite good at the former but so-so at the latter, lots of body roll and the tyres weren't very grippy but the RB30E is a damn good engine.
boganbusman wrote:I wouldn't say 3-series are that bad, but they are definitely more expensive to maintain and therefore a lot of owners neglect them. And then they turn into crap.
Oh and they are also very slow.
The particular one I'm looking at looks in very good nick for the age and status. I realise that, being German, they are expensive to maintain but I do take care of my cars. Apart from the stereo system and an aftermarket central locking system the Skyline's pretty much standard, I've kept it regularly serviced, and unfortunately the transmission just seems to be a sign that it's starting to show its age a bit but it's pristine otherwise.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

If you are looking about the $7000 mark you can look to imports. Certain imports are very cheap and if you have open license you can get some deals on things like S13/14's, 180sx's, R32 Skyline GTST's and even the odd RX-7 Turbo. Rotaries are a little more expensive to maintain in the short term and don't expect much in fuel economy, but they are hell fun to drive. You can get some nice 88/89 cars and in the second hand and import car yards there are sometimes the odd bargain to be found. Hell even an 89 MX5 is better than the old Skyline auto you seem to have ;)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Back from gamescom and the NORDSCHLEIFE. Both were seriously awesome.
Will be posting stuff in the next few days.

I love Nürburg!
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

College...
Rules.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Evil Kid Weaselmush »

Lucky bastard, I'm stuck in this hellhole another whole year before I leave for college. At least my senior year is easier and less stressful than my junior year was, my worst ever.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Daam, had plans to get to the ring this summer, but they all screw up .. maybe next year.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Been there 3 weeks ago, did 9 laps this time. although it was a rainy weekend it was loads of fun :D
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

We were a bit too tired to do a lap and I really wasn't too much up for it in a BMW 118 auto (that car really sucks). The Lotus Exige drive around the area was a lot of fun though. Definitely gotta do track time next year though :)
Oh and the amount of supercars on the track is amazing; we've seen Z06s, F430s, 599, Gallardo, countless Porsches including Carrera GT, GT2, GT3RS, and all sorts of customized cars including a really old Mini going insanely fast.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I was there with this bunch of Idiots:

Here's me:

We also saw loads of nice cars, 2x F430 Scuderia (red and ice blue) F430 (Red) 360 Challenge Stradale (yellow), 575M, 599 612. Gallardo LP560 in green, loads of GTR and Porsche 911's (basically
all versions) several Audi R8's including the new R8 V10 spider but also not so expensive but very cool cars like the Lotus 2-Eleven, also the new Audi RS5.

Cars like the 911 BMW M series, Focus RS, Renault RS are not rare cars there, you see them basically
everywhere.

Last year we saw a Mosler MT900R, Carerra GT, Aston Martin V8 N400, to name a few.

So yeah if you live in Europe and want to go looking for supercars and exotics and don't want to go to the French Riviera or major citys like London, and want to see and hear them..... this is the place to go.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Damn, Celica looks so good. i like the group photo :P
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »