Do you think EA make good games?

Video games, video games and video games! Racing games, console games, fps, rpg, The everything about video games board.
DeMyX
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DeMyX »

bam_bam wrote:I think EA are evil tbh , The churn out so many bad games all year every year . Next year , there will be anew NFS and prob another 10 Sims 2 expansion packs . I just wish they would spend longer than a yearon a game , they have the ppl to do it but have gotten to big for thier own good . I personally think Blizzard are the best game developers out there .
Blizzard are greedy, just look at wow. Sure it took a long time to make the game, but christ pay each month sorta sucks imo.

And ye EA is just poopin out games. Bet there's like 20 Sims 2 games now. :S
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

Yeah, they're rushing it... Is there really a big difference between NFSU and NFSC? Free roam, slightly better graphics and cops... That's about it...
They're all really good games tho, but with the size of EA, I can't help but expect more. Need some progress in the NFS series, and they seem a bit stuck... :?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The sad thing with Need For Speed is that EA is rushing the game into production. they want to get a NFS tittle each year at around November.
The last 4 NFS games are basicly copies of each other, but IMO they haven't reached the level of NFS U1 again. EA needs to spend time on stuff that does matter like the RACING and the TRACKS you race on. cause that is what it's really about!
EA did a great job on customizing in Carbon and the Total carlist is good (although useless if you can't race half the cars half the time.... but ok)
The world is done pretty nicely, now the highways really look like they connect the city and aren't going round and round like in U2 and MW (although I like them in MW)
And the city looks nice and has alot of diffirent stuff altough I don't fancy the Las Vegas stuff much.. makes it a completely diffirent city..
But the races are just put in afterwards (point to point system on the map)
They should do it the other way around, make tracks and build a city around it. like in Underground 1.

EA in general made some great games, but sadly they are overdoing it on some games, games that are really successfull are often ruined by their own success and EAs greed.

Great EA games:
NFS (I am still a NFS fan deep inside, and it will take alot to get me to let go)
Battlefield 2, I love the game. (but EA is exploiting it again)
BLACK, great shooter for the consoles.
SIMS 2, fun, but yet again EA is doing everything they can to make more money of people.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

The lecturer that used work for EA said that they are trying to develop their own production pipeline, so they can get games out more often - i.e. every year rather then the average 2-3 years for a normal development company...

For instance when writing the Games Design Document (used for production) it is common practice to breakdown every possible aspect of the game into its core components and describe them in such a detail that absolutly anyone can understand it (in theory anyway).

E.g. writing up a working formula for a combat resolution system, or describing what exactly happens when the player's car hits the back end of an AI car in point-to-point detail. However what EA are trying to do is skip these important sections and instead describe the key areas in the broadest possible sense so that the programmer only has a fairly rough idea of the game. E.g. - The Racing is like that in NFSU, or the Combat System is like Half-Life 2, etc.
Ataraxia
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ataraxia »

DeMyX wrote:
Ataraxia wrote:EA are starting to go downhill from what I can see. Also they dont treat the staff over there very well.
Who told you that they treat their staff bad?

Think it gonna take a long while if they gonna go downhill.
Rich company, keep making more games and it so friggin huge.
Downhill as in quality wise. The staff comment has been covered. Sooner or later EA is going to collapse from the inside out. Just you watch. They keep making the same crappy games over and over and sooner or later they are just going to run out of games to make. And even if they do keep making them, people will only put up with crappy quality for so long.
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

in my opinion that's an unlikely prospect... I'm sure their marketing department will direct the developers in the right path, analysing the market potential of a game. If the market changes (which is unlikley at this stage) then so will EA's strategy, adopting to a more secure market segment.

Wether or not EA good or bad games is purley subjective.What can be said tho is that they make popular games.

Having said all that ^ (and the previous posts), EA do now and again take step into the unknown and develop games that are highly original. And in any industry, wether its games, movies, music - Originality = HIGH RISK. However, EA would only take these risks if you happen to be Peter Molyneux (Black & White, Theme Park, Populous) or Will Wright (The Sims, SimCity, Spore).. I just hope a big company like EA are willing to invest in games that do take that step further in terms of gameplay, becuase they have the resources to do so.
Black Fire
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Black Fire »

I love thier games! I have all the need for Speeds, Black, and many more games and they all rule.
- Rx7 -
Drift King
Drift King

Post by - Rx7 - »

EA make some ok games
But I believe NINTENDO make the best games. because if you think about it:
Sony : Home entertainment
Xbox (Microsoft): Computers
Nintendo Games, Gaming consoles... Game.

Sorry if considered off-topic
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

AS much as I hate to say it EA makes good games. That however does NOT mean they are making their best games. But look at how much EA rules the gaming industry. They are the biggest 3rd party video gaming manufacturer in the world. They could blow these games so big no other company would even exist. But they like things just the way they are. They're like that little kid down the street who thinks they rule carbon because they beat Darius and only have 70% Carrer competion. They no longer strive to make the great games that got them where they are.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Who are the first and second parties?
GLoPJe
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by GLoPJe »

i think EA has the good idees but thats just it they say the game is awesome and evrything but its just poor quality most of the time "oh u get 50 cars and like 20 are not useable" :?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Who are the first and second parties?
The console maker themselves and then I don't know the 2nd party.
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

sorry for recovering a dead thread but remember this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gnv1XsoRRm8
Bernard
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Do you think EA make good games?

Post by Bernard »

EA MADE good games before. Now they only care about money.
jumpstart
Ricer
Ricer

Post by jumpstart »

I'd say so, the sheer amount of games they make means there's probably a few bad eggs, but there are some fantastic titles.
JamesGoblin
Stock
Stock

Post by JamesGoblin »

Exactly the opposite, EA is known as game undertaker and studio killer. R.I.P. Warhammer Online... :evil:

Return to “The Games”