What's AA/AF?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
dum656
Stock
Stock

What's AA/AF?

Post by dum656 »

I seriously have no clue about anything related to this.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

It smoothens out the rough edges, from what I've heard.
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

but you must have good gcard to use this option because it uses lots of recourses of your card. and slowes the game. ;)
dum656
Stock
Stock

Post by dum656 »

ok, thanks
ghost_4ce
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ghost_4ce »

umm... I know this thread is kinda closed but just to brag about :-
AA= Anti-Aliasing- A technique that smooths the roughness in images or sound caused by aliasing. During frequency sampling, aliasing generates a false (alias) frequency along with the correct one. With images this produces a stair-step effect. Anti-aliasing corrects this by adjusting pixel positions or setting pixel intensities so that there is a more gradual transition between pixels.
AF= Anisotropic Filtering- A method of filtering textures using a nonsquare area. With this method, a pixel may encompass information from many texture elements (called texels) in one direction and fewer in another. It yields sharp textures on objects that slant away from the viewing plane, such as a road running into the distance.
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

nice explanation ghost_4ce, i knew it. but my english isnt so good that i culd write it by my self ;)
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

1pic is better than 1000words :P
Pay attention to the windows of the car, sideskirts and front bumper, rims....
Also the round thing down the car (yellow and black) I have no clue how is it called :D ... expositor? LOL

AA: 0x

AA: 8x

My gfx card is a bit crap (128mb FX5200), but the AA results are way better in more advanced gfx cards. Specially in the new generation ones (Gforce 6800, ATIx800...)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Hohoho Dani, that's looking waay too good. I can't even turn on the AA on my FX5900 XT, the screen goes flashing.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”