Drifting Techniques

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
Pubmouse
Stock
Stock

Drifting Techniques

Post by Pubmouse »

Hi Folks!

I'm new to this game but i find NFSU 2 a fascinating racing game!!

I have a problem though.. I can't seems to compete in the Drift Races !!

I've just started this game but I ALWAYS finish last in Drift races!! The winners would have something like 100,000++ points whereas I would only normally score around 30,000pts.. :(

Can somebody give me some tips on Drifting? eg, like how to brake, steer, to use handbrakes or not, speed..etc?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance, guys!

pubmouse
Peter Ferrell
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Peter Ferrell »

First off, try using a rear-wheel-drive car, like the Supra, 240 SX, etc. This is because the back end will kick out easier, and for me, RWD's are much easier to control, and keep the drifts going. Second, do not use the handbrake, unless absolutely necessary, as it takes off valuable time, and slows your car down too much. Finally, in the tuning section, adjust everything for more grip and acceleration, except the rear tire grip, which I personally put down to the minimum. There ya go... That should help... If it doesn't, sue me :D
Te4o_bg
Drift King
Drift King

Those drifts

Post by Te4o_bg »

AHAM
Actually I HAVEN'T LOST A DRIFT RACE YET(single- + miltyplayer games)
so it'd be useful to ask the master
--FIRST--my man you have to choose a car!
it's really importamt what car u choose.
RWD ( eclipse , 350z , ) this type of cars is the best for drifting.
FWD ( lancer , skyline ) also really cool if you master it.
AWD( TT , A3)only the TT is good for drifting!
--SECOND--you have to go to the Dyno
(i advise you take the eclipse)
in the dyno you have to enter the 'TRANSMISION' section when lvl3 drivetrain is instaled ,
take the slider all the way to 'TOP SPEED' and all the little sliders to the right so they all become green
next you make the sospention components all 'hard'
front sway bar (-------green------------------)(--red--)
rear sway bar(-----------green---)(------------red--------)
decrease the tire grip with a little
focus the brkes in the rear
THIS IS THE RECIPE FOR A REAL DRIFTING MONSTER 8)
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

You want a drifter, I suggest running out and buying an RX-7 when it is availible, it is a car that teaches the driver how to push hard.
I have yet to lose a drift race in it, buy front bodykits for it, to increase front downforce and skip the rear wing.
The more expensive bodykit the better.
Decrease rear tire grip which also helps on making it go sideways.
Use only handbrake if you are having a nasty understeer (Car goes straight ahead even when you steer) other than that, focus on the brakes.
If you can, dig up some drift bibles for real cars on the web and see how the braking drift works and try to copy it.
I did copy the braking drift a while back, so when I drive, I brake to shift weight, not slow down, by putting a lot of weight in the front, I increase traction by taking weight from the rear that decreases traction.
The result is that the rear tires rotates the front tires around the corner, aka drift.
Te4o_bg
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Te4o_bg »

ACTUALLY DIFFERENT CARS SUIT DIFFERENT PEOPLE!
First i liked the 350z then the TT and now i'm going with the Eclipsse
Pubmouse
Stock
Stock

Post by Pubmouse »

thanks guys!

its the weekend again!!!

i'm gonna try and put all you guys' tips into use, and hopefully is more competitive in those darn DRIFT races!

You guys rock!!

:)
aznjt
Stock
Stock

Post by aznjt »

Dude ... drifting is comes with time so just practice ,,
SunnyGTiR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SunnyGTiR »

iv had good luck with maxing the hight of the rear susp. and softening it a bit too, and decrease the rear grip a bit. and i tune the tranny for acel. almost any car can be tuned to drift good, just experiment.
keiri
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by keiri »

I keep my car slammed and it drifts like a king; Toyota Celica...

....also, the Subaru Impreza and the Toyota Trueno (Corolla GT-s) make excellent drifters...

Keiri
articzap
Ricer
Ricer

Post by articzap »

everyone on the ps2 seems to be using, golf, a3, or 206. All are good. skyline is awd btw.
AcidDog
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by AcidDog »

Geez... reading these I am left wondering where some folks get there drifting stripes from... I mean RWD cars? Then there's the "best in the world" comments... Officially the best in the world happens to be LuciferJT, (stadium) and GamersGen, (downhill). Without a doubt the facts are simple - the GG (gamersgen) guys are probably the best at drifting... they have four drifters in the top 10.

The greatest majority of guys online drift with one of two cars. Subaru or Golf. Judging by their continuous drift scores, there is no doubt that these are the best cars in the game to drift with.

LuciferJT pulls on average 800,000 in stadium 2 drift in 4 laps. GamersGen and FearlessGG pull upwards of 900,000 in Hillside drifts.

1. Get online before you make comments that you've never lost a drift, just get your school fees ready.
2. Don't use RWD cars, just try and understand traction and control and u will realise that RWD is not the way to go.
3. Drift settings are somewhat personal, but it really depends on what type of track you are going to do. Downhill is high suspension, Stadium is low suspension.
4. Aerodynamics should be low or off.
5. Transmission should be manual.
6. Stability control should be off.
7. Drivetrain should be set to max accel. U should never get out of second.
8. Don't use hand brake if possible, just double tap accel.

Practice above all else, master one track and stick to it. Suggest Hillside or Stadium 2, to get the hang of the two different types of drifts.

Goodluck
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 909 »

i think that AcidDog's comments are the only sensible thoughts in this thread...
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Seeing as there is a demand for drift teachings.
It seems like I have to get on the roll making a small drift bible for racing games with a bit focus on NFSU 2.
Now if I only could have been having longer records with Fraps it would made life a lot easier.
Pubmouse
Stock
Stock

Post by Pubmouse »

hi guys,

after so many help from all u kind folks out there, I finally se some improvement in my Drifting results!

I'm now getting into the 90,000++ points region more regularly!!! Thanks guys!!

However, i do have an interesting point to raise:

I wonder if my recent drifting improvement has got anything to do with the cars i'm driving.. When I wasn't doing very well then, i was driving a Nissan 240SX with all Level 1 upgrades.. I achieve my recent improvement when I acquire a stock version Toyota Supra.. In fact, i did not even do any upgrades on the Supra.. i took it straight to a Drift race and it rocks!!

What do you guys think??

Thanks folks!!

Pubmouse
tsurezure
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tsurezure »

If you just purely want to win a race in Career Mode (and perhaps get 300 rep points), then the car choice doesn't matter at all, and any stock car (even a big slow SUV) will be able to win any drift race very comfortably in the Career Mode once you get the feel for it. In Career Mode I just use for drift races whatever car I would have been using so far for other races. However, if you are aiming for high scores as mentioned above, I think you do need to choose your car and you do need more than a stock car, so that the speed is kept up and your slides are kept up, and you can do super long drifts that will last laps and laps.
Pubmouse wrote:I wonder if my recent drifting improvement has got anything to do with the cars i'm driving..
Yep if you upgrade your car, you'll be able to do better drifts, and some cars are better than others at drifting.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

2. Don't use RWD cars, just try and understand traction and control and u will realise that RWD is not the way to go.
I genuinely cant believe someone would put that in a thread about drifting. :roll:
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Those drifts

Post by PSZeTa »

Te4o_bg wrote: RWD ( eclipse , 350z , ) this type of cars is the best for drifting.
FWD ( lancer , skyline ) also really cool if you master it.
AWD( TT , A3)only the TT is good for drifting!
Being such a master, I bet you do know that the Skyline and Lancer are both AWD.
Peter Ferrell
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Peter Ferrell »

And isn't the Eclipse AWD as well? In my opinion, you have to test a lot of cars, and types, out before you find the one that you really have a feel for (for me, the 240SX or the Supra)... RWD is better!!! (IMO) How do you think drifting in Japan got started? Even now, most drift cars are right or left hand drive, or RWD.
tsurezure
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tsurezure »

PSZeTa I think there is no need for more than a gentle pointing out of one's mistakes in recognising which cars are FWD/RWD/AWD.

Anyhow, whenever I first start the game, among the six cars I get to choose in the beginning, the front-drive Peugeot 206 drifted a lot better than the rear-drive Nissan 240SX (before any upgrades that is). I am playing with a Corolla at the moment, I haven't checked whether it is front- or rear-wheel drive but its drifts are also on the bad side. One of the in-game tip messages mentions that at the car selection screen there is supposed to be info somewhere that tells you whether a car is front- or rear- or all-wheel drive. Is there actually such information?
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I'm probably going to post one of those lame-arsed replies that I hate so much, but here goes.

The best car for drifting is the car you can handle best in a slide. I did warn you it might be a lame comment! However, I prefer the FWD's like the Corsa/206, etc. I also loved the Hyundai Coupe in NFSU1 - wicked car! I was using the RWD Monaro (sorry, TicTac GTO), and kept 180-ing. Same with the Must Hang. However, the 350Z kicked bum, i.e. I enjoyed driving that brother-sucker very much.

I have to agree though that the 4WD are good - Scooby, Eclipse or Matsui Lancia Evil 8(personally don't like the Skyline in the game since NFSU1, still haven't played with it in NFSU2 yet, but I love the real-life car).
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

am playing with a Corolla at the moment, I haven't checked whether it is front- or rear-wheel drive
Its RWD. ;)

If this discussion applies strictly to NFSU2, then I can let some of these comments slide. If theyre supposed to apply to real life drifting too, then some people need to get along to some drift events. ;)
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
tsurezure
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tsurezure »

I'll be first to admit I know nothing about real-world drifts :lol:
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Some people here need to start playing Live for Speed, STAT!
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I was talking purely NFSU2. I've driven a light RWD car in the past (1988 Opel Manta Exclusive, the only car I've ever wished I still owned!) and I can honestly say that it is the best handling car I have EVER had (despite it being almost 10 years ago!). And it was the most controllable. Every other car has been FWD and NOTHING has held a candle to it handling-wise, despite my current 2.5 V6 baby being a LOT more powerful and faster. FFS even my work-a-day 1.6i 16V Astra has more horse power, but handles like a barge compared that piece of Germanic perfection!
ez4u2nv
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
Location: If I told you, you wouldn't know, so why should I tell you

Post by ez4u2nv »

don't know about ya'll but i absolutly love my FWD Civic. Do great on it every time. Still learning to master the technique though.

Return to “Underground 2”