It's time for me to start driving

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: It's time for me to start driving

Post by Porsche-AG »

I love how evilmegamonkey replies only to things he can retort at and leaves us curious to things like what car company his dad created :-k

As to the "I don't want one" excuse, I highly doubt that any normal 12 year old wouldn't have wet dreams about super-fast rare vehicles, so unless you are willing to admit that you are... different... I'm going to assume that you CAN'T have one.
evilmegamonkey wrote:Jeez, for a site about CARS, you guys seem to have something against people DRIVING CARS.
Wrong again. It's just you haven't driven anything worth mentioning and lies about being able to own (and therefore, drive) supercars don't come 'round these parts easy.
evilmegamonkey wrote:EDIT: Almost forgot, you also have something against people getting the cars they want, so you tell them to get the car you want, because you cant afford it.
A 240SX isn't what the son of a millionaire should be wishing for (according to you). I'm sure it couldn't hurt to at least up to a Silvia S15 when you supposedly can afford a Lambo.
evilmegamonkey wrote:And I love how the guy from Australia thinks he knows how things are in America.
What, do they ride kangaroos to work there? :roll:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Mk1 GTi?
Mk2 Rallye?
Mk2 Aniversary?

They're the only REALLY good ones.
This is all IMO of course, but I hold a genuine hatred of Golfs, especially their drivers. Obviously this is a sweeping generalisation (a mate at work drives a MK2 GTi), but it counts for the most part. I have to say, I havent driven the MK2s in any other form than the Driver and the GTi, but I thought that although the MK1 GTi is a fun little car, I couldnt help feel disappointed at how over-rated it is. That said, its not the older Golfs I dislike so much. Its really the MKIVs onwards that make me want to cover my eyes in the contents of my stomach.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

is a 98 Golf 1.8T a bad one
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:is a 98 Golf 1.8T a bad one
Not a bad engine, but a bad car.

Look at the same engine in the Audi S3 or Seat Leon Cupra R, both of which had 225bhp and the larger K04 turbo.
The 1.8T that found it's way into the Golf was the detuned version of this engine, putting out 150bhp (!) as standard and 180bhp in the later editions.

To put this in perspective, the MK2 Golf 16v had a 140bhp 2.0 16v engine with no forced induction. It also weight about 2/3 of the later car.

The Mk4 Golf wouldn't have been a bad car if they'd given it some grunt, but they didn't and so it just seemed unbearably slow. The second biggest travesty to the "GTi" badge ever, after the even worse Mk3 Golf GTi.

@Grez: I've driven a MK5 GTi and found it to be much better than the Mk4. Mind you, the one I drove was REVO 'mapped and had decent breathing and exhaust,and was putting down about 265bhp. Whilst it was a bit of struggle with 265bhp and FWD, it was pretty good fun and certainly felt faster than any other Golf I've driven, with the exceptions of GT3071'd Mk2 Rallye 8v which was utter lunacy, and my mate's VR6 engine'd MK1 which only weighed in at 825kg and had about 220bhp.

I like the styling of the Mk5, though only the sportier ones.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Not a bad engine, but a bad car.
+1 to that, the engine is fantastic. Look up Steve Guglielmi and his Elise for just how good that engine can be.
I like the styling of the Mk5, though only the sportier ones.
My dads 406 shocker collapsed fairly recently, and he was given two courtesy cars over the space of a week. The first was a Skoda Roomster in light blue, and I gave my dad some right stick for having to drive it. He took it back and they gave him MKV Golf GT-TDi. Despite the barely noticeable increase in performance, from the inside you couldnt tell you were in a different car, it shared the same dash, dials, steering wheel and even similar seats to the Skoda.

Now fair enough, theyre owned by the same group so I would expect some similarities. But say Id had my kids and was waiting to die, and owned a Roomster. Then I was 'born again' and wanted a fun, economical but quick little hatch, and bought the Golf, I really wouldnt be happy about that.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

evilmegamonkey wrote:
Porsche-AG wrote:And unless you prove me wrong by posting a picture of yourself holding a sign with your name handwritten on it in front of one of a Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo with a document that proves you own it, I am not going to believe you.

Way too miss the part where I said I DONT WANT ONE.

Jeez, for a site about CARS, you guys seem to have something against people DRIVING CARS.

EDIT: Almost forgot, you also have something against people getting the cars they want, so you tell them to get the car you want, because you cant afford it.

And I love how the guy from Australia thinks he knows how things are in America.
who? me?

And we don't have problems with people driving-we have problems with under 15 year-olds driving.

And who says that you should get a Lamborghini Reventon? I want one, and I sure as hell not gonna get one, and I'm doubly sure I'm not gonna tell YOU to get one for me...
oh snap
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Porsche-AG wrote:As to the "I don't want one" excuse, I highly doubt that any normal 12 year old wouldn't have wet dreams about super-fast rare vehicles, A 240SX isn't what the son of a millionaire should be wishing for (according to you). I'm sure it couldn't hurt to at least up to a Silvia S15 when you supposedly can afford a Lambo.

Who's the 12 rea old you speak of?

And I never said I was the son of a millionare. And Im having to buy it with my own money, so I'd rather not spend 13 grand when I can get one for 1 grand.

And OF COURSE I haven't driven anything worth mentioning. I'm not 30.
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Porsche-AG wrote:I love how evilmegamonkey replies only to things he can retort at and leaves us curious to things like what car company his dad created :-k

As to the "I don't want one" excuse, I highly doubt that any normal 12 year old wouldn't have wet dreams about super-fast rare vehicles, so unless you are willing to admit that you are... different... I'm going to assume that you CAN'T have one.

Wrong again. It's just you haven't driven anything worth mentioning and lies about being able to own (and therefore, drive) supercars don't come 'round these parts easy.

A 240SX isn't what the son of a millionaire should be wishing for (according to you). I'm sure it couldn't hurt to at least up to a Silvia S15 when you supposedly can afford a Lambo.

He didn't create a company. He buys old cars for cheap, restores them, and sells them for more.

Who's the 12 year old in this conversation?

And of course I haven't driven anything worth mentioning, I'm not even 20

Why spend 13 grand on a hard to find car, when I can spend 1 grand on a common car?

And how should I know?
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Did you really need to post twice?
He didn't create a company. He buys old cars for cheap, restores them, and sells them for more.
I'm glad you've clarified that. I believe the correct term is a "car merchant" and not "car entrepreneur". :wink:
Who's the 12 year old in this conversation?
It's called an exaggeration, and by that I was referring to you (and other young people who think they can somehow get their hands on exotic supercars).
And of course I haven't driven anything worth mentioning, I'm not even 20
That's probably what everyone here has against you when you say you can obtain supercars.
Why spend 13 grand on a hard to find car, when I can spend 1 grand on a common car?
If you got the cash (which you've implied), why settle for less?
And how should I know?
I hope you're joking.

And now that we've got all that cleared up, I'd lastly like to know how you can get your hands on a Lambo/etc. You say your dad isn't a millionaire, so the only way to get a Lambo would be for him to mortgage your house? :|
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

get a EG6 civic or a Golf VR6 or maybe a Chevy Cavalier. all have the posibility of being fast and looking nice. they all are really reliable. to me a 240sx might be slightly out of your driving skill if you plan to race it.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You don't race when you first drive, just take it easy practicing. And if you have a race license because you have go-karting experience, you have a bit more race experience, but take it easy. Get to know the car, whatever it may be.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

lol, go carting is the best!

And evilmegamonkey-you got owned real bad. How old are you really?

Also, isn't this a bit similar to-first car, what car do you drive, those topics? Do we really need this random one just for one person?
oh snap
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:get a EG6 civic or a Golf VR6 or maybe a Chevy Cavalier. all have the posibility of being fast and looking nice. they all are really reliable. to me a 240sx might be slightly out of your driving skill if you plan to race it.
Oh yeah. a 200bhp VR6 is a brilliant car for a first driver :roll:
A 240SX would be a fair bit easier to handle than a VR6.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Striker94 wrote: Also, isn't this a bit similar to-first car, what car do you drive, those topics? Do we really need this random one just for one person?
You got a point there, I was planning on locking this topic, but it's just way to much fun.
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Porsche-AG wrote:I'm glad you've clarified that. I believe the correct term is a "car merchant" and not "car entrepreneur". :wink:

If you got the cash (which you've implied), why settle for less?

And now that we've got all that cleared up, I'd lastly like to know how you can get your hands on a Lambo/etc. You say your dad isn't a millionaire, so the only way to get a Lambo would be for him to mortgage your house? :|

He races, and owns a wrecker service, car moving service (Dont know the correct name) so he knows quite a lot of people who have nice cars. Most of the nicer, nicer cars don't even run. (Seriously, why get a Lambo or Porsche if you're just going to firetruck it up) So I've grown up around cars which is how I got to drive at such an early age.

And I was thinking that entrepeneur was the wrong word, and I couldnt think of the right one until now, and I dont even know how to spell it. Coneseur? Yeah, something like that.

And no, I dont have 13 grand, and the only S15 I can find is in Ohio, and that's too much of a drive for a used car. As I said, I'm having to buy this with my own money, and have $2500, and can get a 240sx for $1000.

I seriously need to start adding details.

And to Stryker, 15. Yes, I can drive at 15.

Anymore details you'd like to know?

And much thanks to Grez for being the only one who doesnt give a shiznit what I drive at my age and for all of the help.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

evilmegamonkey wrote: And to Stryker, 15. Yes, I can drive at 15.
Yanks really are crazy, letting kids drive....but then we are used to it now... :mrgreen:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

About car choice... if you can afford it, go for it, if you are confident, go for it (take it easy initially), but make sure others, i.e. your parents trust you, because they're the ones that have driven on the roads and know what they're talking about (most of the time :wink:).

Check out insurance and registration prices, and make sure you can afford them. Are you getting the SR20DET or CA18 SX? The turbo one will have sky high insurance prices. Experience is one thing, but so is cost. Just make sure you make a sensible choice.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

evilmegamonkey wrote: He races, and owns a wrecker service, car moving service (Dont know the correct name) so he knows quite a lot of people who have nice cars. Most of the nicer, nicer cars don't even run. (Seriously, why get a Lambo or Porsche if you're just going to firetruck it up) So I've grown up around cars which is how I got to drive at such an early age.

And I was thinking that entrepeneur was the wrong word, and I couldnt think of the right one until now, and I dont even know how to spell it. Coneseur? Yeah, something like that.

And no, I dont have 13 grand, and the only S15 I can find is in Ohio, and that's too much of a drive for a used car. As I said, I'm having to buy this with my own money, and have $2500, and can get a 240sx for $1000.

And much thanks to Grez for being the only one who doesnt give a shiznit what I drive at my age and for all of the help.
Right one more thing to clear up...

Why the hell are you saying "I could have a Lambo, Porsche whatever if I wanted to" and THEN you tell us you don't have enough money... So what I said WAS right. It's not that you want a 240SX over a European car... it's just that you can't afford one. Stop going around in circles, you'll confuse us all.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

evilmegamonkey wrote: And much thanks to Grez for being the only one who doesnt give a shiznit what I drive at my age and for all of the help.
No worries. For what its worth, I cant see any real reason why you would lie about buying a 240SX. Theyre slow, all of mine have been spectacularly unreliable (but then most of that was down to curing the first problem...), and most people agree they look dated. Fortunately, I dont care what other people think, as I work for the money I spend, and I drive the damned thing. This probably explains why I drive a Miata and not a Porsche. #-o

People need to lay off this kid really, slight exaggerations aside, he hasnt exactly filled the screen with bullsh*t. Hes come onto a car forum, expressed an interest in cars, and yeah some of the details may be a bit ropey, but if I went and picked holes with what everybody else said, it would probably leave a forum of me, SS, Bogan and Stiggy.
Are you getting the SR20DET or CA18 SX?
Hah, dude if I have to type this out again... :mrgreen: :lol:

USDM - 240SX - KA24DE
UKDM - 200SX - CA18DET
JDM - 180SX - SR20DET

Thats for the S13s anyway, the Australian spec SX I believe is the same as the UKDM model. :wink:
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

@evilmonkey-didn't you say that you've driven and owned a car for several years now? Something about a farm, where you used to go around unnoticed???

My driving experiences are limited to high speed go-carting, which was quite fun, although I did feel a bit exposed...
oh snap
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:
evilmegamonkey wrote: He races, and owns a wrecker service, car moving service (Dont know the correct name) so he knows quite a lot of people who have nice cars. Most of the nicer, nicer cars don't even run. (Seriously, why get a Lambo or Porsche if you're just going to firetruck it up) So I've grown up around cars which is how I got to drive at such an early age.

Right one more thing to clear up...

Why the hell are you saying "I could have a Lambo, Porsche whatever if I wanted to" and THEN you tell us you don't have enough money... So what I said WAS right. It's not that you want a 240SX over a European car... it's just that you can't afford one. Stop going around in circles, you'll confuse us all.

id really like to know where theres a clean and running S13 for 1K cause around here a clean and running s13 gos for around 2500 and for 1K you get a stripped down shell.

to whoever asked about the SR or CA for 1500 you cant get either. About the only thing you could get is a KA and Turbo it
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

KA24? Is that 2.3 litre? Never new it existed... only knew about the legendary sr20s, the crappy Ca18s. Hmm... yeah, is it turbo, if it's turbo insurance prices will suck.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

KA24DE is a 2.4 I4 with 140hp in the S13 (about 155hp in the S14) makes good torque and is NA. came in trucks also
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Yep, it was a Nissan Terrano engine. So nice and strong, torquey etc. CA's are actually really good engines when theyre looked after too.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

But that goes for alot of engines, they often are pretty good if taken care of.
Sadly alot of people don't take care of their car/engine. (especially owners of potential ricer/streetrace cars)

Over here S13's aren't in general very expensive, but for very little money you still get very little car.
I seen a S13 (200SX) for just over 500 euro, but it had engine problems and the interior was horrible, the headlining was in very bad condition and so where the seats.
But then what do you expect for that kind of money.
I personally wouldn't buy a car for around 1000 USD/Euro ect. you will most likely not get much car for that kind of money, especially carefree driving wise.
I personally rather drive a car I know that works and that I can trust to work for a long time and that nor sporty nor a nice car style wise, then get a car that looks nice and maybe can be pretty fast but breaksdown constantly but costs 100 USD just to keep it running.

But then that's my personal opinion.

My brother on the other hand has a soft sport for carstypes that are often nice to look and when they where build they where state of the art, but these days are loaded with problems, and he is constantly fixing electrical problems etc.
I can't stand if something doesn't work like it should.

Return to “The Cars”