Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Greylock
Stock
Stock

Post by Greylock »

69 hemi charger
68-69 GTX/RoadRunner
68-69 Coronet/Superbees

(never driven any of em, and dont really want to either, don't wanna destroy my illusions of htese beautiful car)
To me hemi will always be the definition of muscle (pre 70's though)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Greylock wrote:To me hemi will always be the definition of muscle (pre 70's though)
Do you even know why a Hemi is called a Hemi?
Voski
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Voski »

Corvette C6 or Dodge Viper
13SecPaceCar
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 13SecPaceCar »

no shiznit the GTO is a refasciaed Monaro. Wonder why the '05's haven't hit the shores yet... durr.

Hemi is dervied from early 50's engines.
hemispherical combustion chambers and in head sparkplugs.

there's a difference between muscle and sports to me.

viper is more of a muscle to me and the vette is more sportscarsish, IMO, mainly because the vette has a higher revving motor and the peak torque is @ 4k while the Viper has alot of grunt downlow.
Greylock
Stock
Stock

Post by Greylock »

boganbusman wrote:
Greylock wrote:To me hemi will always be the definition of muscle (pre 70's though)
Do you even know why a Hemi is called a Hemi?
I did know that this has to do with the shape of the chambers yes.

Maybe i should have said that to me the 68-69 cars from dodge and plymouth is what i consider muscle (cause its a purely personal belief, not something i ment to impose on you)
Specifically the ones with the 426 hemi.

Im sorry for any misunderstanding
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

OK, so in your mind, Hemi is the only real muscle.
It doesn't make sense, but who am I to judge . . .

:?
Just Me
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Just Me »

You know I actually forgot one car.

The '70 GTO by Pontiac. The Judge!!

And yes it corners like a cargoboat, but it makes up for that on the straight line :)

And before anybody begins again with the American/Japanese discussion.

I like em both. The American because off the history they've got, they are the ones that made it big, and the Japanese for building the "new" generation.
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

Mustang Fastback. . .
13SecPaceCar
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 13SecPaceCar »

I really don't see Japanese vehicles as being the ones making the muscle, definately not in the states @ least.

here in america it's a nicely mixed smorgasboard.

Ford Motor Company offers some 200hp+ i.e. 14 sec. 1/4 mile cars
as does
D/C
as does GM
but there's alot less Toyota/Honda/Nissan offerings.

But the numbers are growing for both import and domestic, and to me it's truely a good thing. Our cars today can tear up muscle from the 60's (stock for stock here) down the 1/4 mile (for the most part) outhandle, have all creature comforts, F/I, and still nail 20+ MPG all the while being clean for the environment.

The 60's were the Muscle Car era. Today is the Muscle car revolution, hell alot of em are FWD.

My biggest showing of this was the first time I ever went to a dragstrip and raced my car.

All the while thru the staging lanes I had my eye on this hot late 60's Pymouth GTX. It sounded mean as hell, and frankly I did not want to tangle with it at all. I knew I'd get killed hardcare (still had the utmost respect for the "power" of 60's muscle) I was admiring it for what it was, and I could really smell the race gas.

While chatting with him while some of the money guys were running he mentioned that it had a 440 and it was built, fresh paintjob, 4-on the floor, dana rear axle all that stuff.

Well, as luck would have it, some guys nova wouldn't start (nova, haha.) and I was to race him.

He passed thru the bunout box to do a real crowd pleasing burnout, i was impressed. I over in my lane could still feel his car rumble. I did a short burnout, just to clean the tires, as traction was key, since I didn't get have a LSD, so I really had to watch my launch.

it wasn't his first time as we both staged shallow.

the lights drop, he reacted quicker and was off, I concentrated on my launch and had a slow reaction time, but was rewarded with 2.08 60' time on my regular street tires, an excellent launch, to his light wheel spinning 2.2 60' time. he had the jump, and I thought I was already done. His gearing gave him a quick lead, while my 2.93 ratio didn't jump as quick, but my high torque leapt me to speed as well. as my car shifted into 2nd gear @ 54mph, i had caught up and he were neck and neck. I was really surprized I kept up. But from there I really walked the guy hard, and I mean hard. I ran a 14.01@99 to his 15.1@92 (i believe that was his MPH)

afterwards he was shocked @ his slow 1/4 and my much faster 1/4. I was equally amazed. But that day, I realized the above, old school muscle usually isn't faster than the new school, and it takes work for them to match the creature comforts of today. Todays cars are much better. There's alot more to the story, but I shortened it to be realavent w/ the discussion. Though I'd love my '66 Impala to have modern F/I

Return to “The Cars”