Players' Thoughts about NFSU2

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
krist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by krist »

Well i really like the game it has tons of parts and combinations but like some other people said its missing a good story if EA want to make a game like fast and the furious its got to have a good story UG1 had a way better story and it had better CGI or watever its called not some cartoonish Storyboards. i mean cmon Max payne 1 made a better job with there story and cartoon boards. Thats basically all my consern one of my favourite parts is the tuning juts self tune anycar to adapt to you not for you to adapt to it. :D
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Well, I have to say that I'm impressed with the game, but not COMPLETELY satisfied. The story animation sucks IMO, I thought it was gonna be like in UG1, where we can see Samantha, Eddie & Co. speaking, not like a comic book. Disappointing... :roll:
Lord_Jereth
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lord_Jereth »

Ok, I'll throw my 0.02$ worth in too.

[Warning: old fart at the comp]

I've owned all of the NFS games except Porche Unleashed (which had such bad reviews that even ~I~ didn't want it) and I have to say that U2 comes in at about even for my favorite NFS game. My other fave was NFS Hot Pursuit 1 because of all the modding you could do, the easy adding of user built cars and tracks and, a feature I've missed for a while now, the dashboards.

I guess my review will be based on putting U2 up against HP1 so here goes.

I have always loved to drive in real life even on mundane trips so some things that have bugged folks about U2 are some of my favorite features. I found URL racing, Outrun and Street X to be a blast while finding the drags and drifting to be a major pain I really could have done without. I guess I play for the sim of it and these were, for me, useless and unrealistic race styles making them, again for me, tedious and bothersome. Forcing the player to do races that they don't like just to be able to advance to the next level seems a bit of a bore. That's just me.

I loved the return of the individual tuning of cars. In HP1, if you had the right utilities you could easily extract the performance text file and tweak it till it screamed making for a lot of fun in-game. I was about ready to bust when I realised they'd finally made this a "legal" and, pardon the term, above ground feature of U2. Just the tuning of my cars alone has given me hours of pleasure and coupled with the huge new city to run around and play in made this game a keeper for me alone. I don't know how many hours I've spent on fine tuning, dyno'ing and road testing my favorite car but it's been probably my favorite new feature. Learning to control the new monster I've created after tweaking this or that is a real pleasure.

I loved all the new parts and goodies. You can now make a car totally your own according to your style and personallity without having to resort to third party utilities. Although I miss that you can no longer make your own cars and textures and import them (without having to make hundreds of parts to go with them or replacing the ones you already have) this seems a decent trade off. I still miss my Mantis truck from HP1, though. It was a semi with 6 huge monster truck wheels and a cow catcher on the front that I used to hunt law enforcement with :twisted: as well as my 1979 Pontiac Trans Am that would top 450MPH after I tweaked it to hell and back. Back then, there were literally hundreds, if not thousands, of cars to be had on the net. Ahhh, those were the days.

As I said before, the new city is AWSOME! The hours I've spent just tooling around and trying to remember which streets go where, as if it were my own town, has been a wonderful time waster. I have to say, though, that if it weren't for the GPS I'd still get lost once in a while. No complaints there, just more time I get to sit behind the wheel and learn. Cudos to EA for including this little gadget for the perpetually brain dead, like me.

Personally, I could care less about the story. It's not what I play NFS for anyway. I do think the comic strip cut scenes were a bit hokie, though. I think that they shoudn't have even bothered. If you're going to do it then do it right or leave it alone. I'm not here to save the world by driving a kit-car anyway.

I found a little dead weight in the sound system and the hydros. yeah, they're nice to pretend with :roll: but they serve no real purpose. Would have been nice to be able to make usage of them in some kind of competition like who bounces the highest, who sincopates the best to music, who's system is loudest, sounds best, etc. One more time, that's just me.

What do I miss? Dashboards. Like I said, I mostly play it for the sim so I miss the feeling of actually being in the car. The bumper cam and roof cam are cool but it's just not the same. GIMME BACK MY DASHBOARD, EA!

Main comlaint: All the sneak advertising. I guess I'm old fashioned but I hate advertising in most of it's forms and having Burger King, Cingular, Best Buy, etc. plastered ALL OVER the game, having nothing to do with it, just rubbed me the wrong way. It's like when Camel Cigarettes was accused of trying to hook kids young by making a cartoon of a shades wearing camel guy, this is much the same to me.

The sound track was OK but could have used a bit more variety, IMO. The tunes were cool but got very old after a few hours. I would have liked the chance to import (or simply point towards the folder of) my own MP3s like I've seen in other EA games, most notably the Madden NFL series. If this feature is available, I have to say that I didn't find it. Maybe making it more obvious would have been better.

What would I like to see in the next version? Call me kookie but I'd like to be able to get out of the car to admire some of the jaw dropping scenery and the car itself. It's a feature I've wanted for years. I'd also like to be able to do more things in town then just race. Don't ask me what exactly, I'd just like more interaction. How about some pedestrians and ..... A FEW COPS!!!!!! :twisted: As others have already said, I'd also like to see some good old fashioned, American muscle cars. Something with some stones and deep, throaty growl that I can upgrade and tweak till it's ready to jump up and fly. I'd also like to see some real, regulation drags with the NHRA christmas tree starter and all. No BS like oncomming "civvie" cars comming at you in the wrong lane. Only power, reactions and fine tweaking will be the winning factors here. No one's done a decent funny car dragster sim in years. It might be time.

Overall, I really enjoy this game. It's caught and held my imagination like none other has in a very long time. I'm personally glad that the NFS franchise is still around and I hope EA continues to astound us with new innovation in the future. Just no more Porsche Unleashed remakes, PLEASE!!! :wink:

8) LJ
Jetta
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Jetta »

This game is the best racing game ive ever played. I never really like racing games but having the option of creating your own custom car is what really attracts me to this game. I can spend ours trying to create the right vinals and testing which body kits look good and which dont.
The thing that I dont like about this game is the career/storyline. Its just dumb. I dont like the whole comic book thing and why put a villian in a racing game? I wish they wouldnt put some hot chick in the game who has nothing to do with racing in real life; I see enough hot girls in real life so I dont want them in my video games! The career races just get booring after awhile and I dont like having to rice out my car to advance in the game either.
Some little things that annoyed me were not knowing how to tune my cars. I wish there was an ingame tuning guide or something to help out n00bs like me. Also there was no true white color! There was a dull white and metallic white that looked silver in races.
Overall I really really like this game and would rate it a 8/10.
bizman
Stock
Stock

Post by bizman »

car size small, i wish EA fixes this on the next NFSU.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

You're more likely to LOSE in the game if you have a wheel because EA can't code. -5/10.
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 909 »

after playin this game for 3 times round, i'll give in my €0.01 worth in...

*cash-till 'ding' sound* ... "NEXT PLEASE"...
gdog55
Ricer
Ricer

Post by gdog55 »

twin turbo supra sucks :!:
KidZer0
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by KidZer0 »

After beating the game once, I got bored of it. I finished it at 67% & next time I play Ima go for 100%. I really like customizing the cars though. 8)
thunderbolt
Drift King
Drift King

Post by thunderbolt »

gdog55 wrote:twin turbo supra sucks :!:
thats because its not twin turbo :lol: LOL
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

It may not be a Twin Turbo Supra - but it still handles like a Double Decker London Bus (from the 1960's).

EA have seriously buggered the handling of that model.
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

great game, really cool, has my favorite car in it (RX-8). The only problem is the SUVs. Theyr'e show cars, not racers. Also, please dont insult 13 yr olds. Im only 16, and when i was 13, i knew (and still know) all about cars.
C2D T7500 2.2 ghz| 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570m|160 GB 7200 RPM|2 GB RAM- my laptop
MS
Stock
Stock

small things that make a difference

Post by MS »

first of all there is no exhaust gas in the game, which i think is an important element for realism, as well as starting your car at first not just magically appearing on the road with the engine running, also fog lights don't work and like midnight club series you should be able to flash your lights at people.. hmm what else? many many more exhaust tips, wheels, CARS.. thats what I think, and this is not hard to do seeing that they've put the useless SUV's in the game.. peace 8)
Lucas_Pukas
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Lucas_Pukas »

I think theres too little parts in Nfsu2. For one, you should be able to have interior LED's (like brians skyline 2f2f) as people have said, many more exhaust tips, more bumpers (defo) and spoilers. More cars too. Exhausts should change the sound of your car :) Amplifiers should actually kick the bass, and other things i cant think of right now. but otherwise a really superb game 8) ill still be playin it in a year me thinks ;)
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

The problem is---> too many unnecesarry parts. Spinners, Lexani and Giannele rims, 80% of roofscoops, 20% of bumpers and so on
Game is ok
TribbsGT
Stock
Stock

Post by TribbsGT »

Hey i'm new, id just like to say i think the game is fine, but they shouldn't have put SUV's and spinner rims, well that's my opinion anyway. More features would do good in the next game 8)
Frost ViXeN
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frost ViXeN »

My thoughts on the game...

Brillant all round fun and game play.. Graphics are also great. Nice story line too.

Realism sucks tho... For EG, when you slam an AI car and try push it, you can't... Even with a full blown HOT Mustang 5.7l... lol..

Also, FWD cars can't drift in real life.. only RWD...

A nice addition would be something like a skidpan race where you get style points for dougnuts, handbreak turns and figure 8s... as well as burn outs and stuff.

Take the SUV's out completely.

Another nice race would be a point to point race through the city... So you get there and the guys says, "First one to Megalow parts and back wins, any route goes". So basically you can go anyway you want as long as you back first... That'd be cool.

Otherwise I f**kin LOVE the game... ;)

Oh and the chicks in it, are UBER SEXY...
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 909 »

Frost ViXeN wrote:Oh and the chicks in it, are UBER SEXY...
u mean the cartoon graphics? :lol: or their real-life counterparts representation?
Corolla GTS
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Corolla GTS »

I have a question. Why are the girls have their arms around each other? In every race I went to, they were almost making out! :shock:
lol
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

And you're COMPLAINING, CorollaGTS?

I don't find that objectionable at all... :twisted:

I've seen much worse on the Internet (when I was searching for something completely innocent, of course :oops: ).
Frost ViXeN
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frost ViXeN »

Corolla GTS wrote:I have a question. Why are the girls have their arms around each other? In every race I went to, they were almost making out! :shock:
lol
I'm not complaining... maybe in NFSU3 there'll be 3 of them :D
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

Aha ok... maybe 4 girls will *khm* on your new carbon hood :|

Stay on topic guys
Frost ViXeN
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Frost ViXeN »

hmmmm, 4 girls and me, YUM

And we are on topic, I said that I'd like to see 3 girls in the next game... That's a thought about the game, ;)
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

Hmmmmm whats that song I hear .........

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do

.....jk :lol:
gunner
Ricer
Ricer

like it

Post by gunner »

i think that ea games suld add in alot more cars and alot more types of cars. i think they suld have almost all the car that say grad trurismo has. i also think you need mucle cars.overall i rate this game a 9 out of 10. the things i dont like is that when you crash on the highway and you are in the air and are above the gardrail you cant fly over it it has a blocker. i also think it would be cool to add a damage option. i think that if you add an option to turn damage on and off that would be cool. i think that this game would be the most amazing game with a little bit of this stuff.

Return to “Underground 2”