Digital Photography

Everything that has to do with art goes into this board. Post your creations and hear what other people have to say about it!
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Digital Photography

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I didn't say it doesn't happen with DSLRs - I'd just forgotten. :P

4' 38", f/3.5, ISO 100, 18mm
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Wow... some really still weather.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Yeah, the tree moved less than the stars... Nice.
Stereo wrote:About the viewfinder going black: this happens on DSLRs too. The mirror is lifted so you don't see anything when taking the pic.
Oh really? I figured they didn't... There are guys at these events with DSLRs and I can hear it continuously shooting when a car passes. Must take quite a bit of practice to keep those cars in frame. Or maybe I'm hearing non-digital SLRs? Do DSLRs make a clicking sound? :-k

That reminds me... My birthday is coming soon! I think I just figured out what I want. :D Hope mom or dad are feeling generous this year!
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

DSLRs make a 'click' sound when the mirror that reflects light from the lens into the viewfinder flips up to expose the sensor, then back down after the photo is taken. When the mirror is flipped up, it's not reflecting anything, so you just see black in the viefinder. I'm not really sure why you wouldn't be able to see your shot during the exposure in live view (on the LCD), since while in live view - on my camera at least - the mirror is flipped up, and what you see on the screen is actually what the sensor is being exposed to; would certainly be convenient, and it would be interesting to see your photo progress during long exposures.

That fast clicking you hear is probably nothing more than multiple shots being taken. High-end cameras (which I'm sure there are plenty of at those sorts of events) are able to take several photos per second. As an example, the Canon 1Ds Mark III can take up to 52 photos at 5 photos per second and my camera can take up to 53 photos at 3.5 photos per second (from Canon's website).

Anywho, sky's really clear tonight, and I wish I could go out and take a really long exposure, but I've got to get some sleep. Work in 6 hours. :( Instead, however, I present you with a thrilling game of chess and a fine example of bokeh.

No, the pieces are not chocolate. :P
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

You're saying the LCD on your camera doesn't go blank during exposure but the viewfinder does? Have you ever tried watching your photo progress during long exposures? That would be neato.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Actually, the click sound isn't only the mirror. It's also the two shutter curtains.

I <3 my new flash. I can do so much more stuffs wit it. Pentax ftw!
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Zero260 wrote:You're saying the LCD on your camera doesn't go blank during exposure but the viewfinder does? Have you ever tried watching your photo progress during long exposures? That would be neato.
No, the LCD goes blank while the picture is being taken. When in live view and not taking a picture, the mirror is flipped up, exposing the sensor, which is what is displayed on the LCD.

I was going back through this thread, and I saw that Stereo had mentioned an 18-250mm, at which point, I thought, "Damn, I wish I had a Pentax so I could use that lens." I decided to look around, anyway, and found that a company called Tamron makes an 18-250mm lens for Pentax. And Nikon. And Sony. And Canon. =P~ 18-250mm is insanely versatile, I've been looking for a lens with such a wide range ever since I got my camera; constantly switching between my 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens is rather annoying, so I'll definitely be purchasing this lens as soon as I get the money, which shouldn't take long, because it's surprisingly cheap. :D
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Yeah, but its versatility are its downfall. I was going to get the Tamron/Pentax 18-250mm lens until I read that the quality is worse than my 18-55 kit lens and especially my 55-300mm. (But this was before I got my 55-300) I suggest you keep what you have.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

The quality isn't as good, aye, but it won't be replacing the lenses I already have, and it's much more convenient to have a single lens with such a wide range and not have to switch between two lenses, which takes time. It may not be, to you, but I think it is definitely worth the money.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Meh, it's usually easy to switch lenses though. But it's your decision.

I wish I had this: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-16-50mm-An ... B000NO5QV6

Wow.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I've decided to wait and save up for the Canon 100-400mm lens. Nearly three-times as expensive, but definitely worth it, from the reviews I've read. :)

Anywho, more train pics - another Coast Starlight reroute over the Tehachapi loop.

Passing West through Tehachapi with the landmark windmills in the background.

Leaving Tehachapi headed towards Bakersfield.

East of the Tehachapi Loop.

#11 Headed East towards the Loop seen from Highway 58.

#11 and #14 pass just East of Keane.

Full shot of #14 on Cliff seen from Highway 58.

Headed down towards Caliente through Bealville.

Snaking down towards the Caliente horseshoe.

Along Edison towards Bakersfield. I had trouble keeping up.

Slowing to pass through Edison.

Passing through Edison headed towards Bakersfield.

Crew Change at Bakersfield.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

You know everything about trains, don't you?

About the 100-400, you're gonna have one of those prestige white canon lenses now. w00t.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

L series FTW. \:D/ Those are all I ever see at sports events, so they must be pretty good. ;)

Here, have s'more! ...'Nother re-route. :T

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

'Plant' is, by far, my favourite. Polarizer filter FTW.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I haven't commented on your photos for a while, but damn they keep on getting better :shock: Even if they are all pictures of trains . . .

Keep it up!
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

For real, I went through this whole thread again and the improvement is vastly awesome! Great work. 8)
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Here's a bit of New England fall to spice things up (Some pictures are early fall so it's not too colorful)
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Here's comments in order:
1. This was just a test of my 300mm zoom in the park. Wow. (This wasn't taken during fall, more like early September)
2. This is early fall at Lake Chocarua. You see Mt. Chocarua on the right. This is in the White Mountains on the way from Mt. Washington
3. This is in the Flume Gorge on the other side of the White Mountains. It's a waterfall park. The blurri-ness is caused by the absence of a tripod and a 1/4 shutter.
4. These next couple shots are at Lake Winnipesaukee. This one's in the pathway to the beach entrance.
5. Some tree.
6. Leaves and the sun. I had a couple of these.
7. This one is my current PS3 wallpaper. The dark blue was caused by a faster shutter speed, so it looks REALLY creative. (I think ;D)
8. Another leaf shot.
9. This is one of my favorites because it contains the colors of fall. Red, orange, and yellow.
10. This was shot in the New England Aquarium in Boston. I love the motion blur in the background and how sharp the fish came out at such a low shutter speed (1/4 or 1/10) I guess I followed it really well.
11. This is the MIT building, viewed from the Prudential Tower which is across the river from MIT. 300mm ftw.
12. This is also one of my faves. The wide angle makes it look like the clouds are coming at you. If only that tree in the left corner wasn't there...
13. This is Boston at dawn, shot from near MIT, looking at the Prudential Tower. Shot by me with my dad's Rebel XT.
Last edited by Stereo on 31 Oct 2008, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That 55-300mm is pretty impressive. What's the minimum focusing length at 300mm? Must be pretty close to be able to zoom in that much onto the flower.

I really like 7 - the darker sky really makes the yellow of the leaves 'pop', and I like how the branch just sticks out from the side of the picture, not connected to anything. :)

As for the tree in 12, I think it's better as it is. The tree ties the ground/lake and the sky together. Makes it easier to view the entire picture as a whole, as opposed to looking at the lake and the sky separately.

(Might want to fix your links, though. :lol:)

Thanks for the feedback, bogan; korge. :) It's good to see people that don't normally seem* to have an interest in photography commenting on my stuff. :mrgreen:

*Whether or not you actually do have an interest, I don't know. :P

Edit:
This is 9 photos stitched together and two photos chopped up and laid on top. I took the photos I wanted to stitch, before-hand, then took two photos of the train (one of the back and one of the front) and put those on top. I had to do some pretty extensive 'shopping, including getting rid of the four extra lens flares that occurred as a result of stitching multiple photos together. :lol: Not perfect, granted, but it turned out pretty well, in my opinion, especially considering the horrible lighting and air quality.

2nd Edit:
Woo, my camera battery grip along with two 1,500 mAh batteries came in the mail, today! :D I was able to take around ~2,000 photos with the single 1,100 mAh battery I had, before, so if my maths are correct, I should be able to take ~5,500 photos with the two new batteries. :mrgreen:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Heh, actually I do have a keen interest in photography (and other art), but I don't make any effort to go and take photos myself. I can't even get motivated to take pictures of my car.

So for now, I just like to look :)
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

@haz: The min focus length at 300mm is 4.6ft or 1.4m. The pic wasn't cropped.

I forgot to post pics of my cat with the new flash. Tis so awesom.

Image Image
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That's actually 1 foot more than the minimum focusing length of my 55-250mm lens. Guess that extra 50mm really makes a difference.

Also, your second image thumbnail is linking to this, which is the thumbnail image - you want it to link to this. ;)
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Gasp. Nikon's D90 records HD video. Do want.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I want an SLR camera now, lol... Was at a car show, and my friend borrowed 2 SLRs from a friend, and we went around with them. It was wild... and we had those wide lenses... so you can get the entire car in the picture standing like 10cm from it. Really nifty... and we had a macro lens too... but it was problematic indoors with the lighting, but you could get some cool detail. But yeah... I gotta figure out how to use them... I know exposure... ISO as low as possible, to reduce grain, but needs to be higher for more light. Or can go auto... The Photos came out quite good too considering we didn't use flash inside.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

ISO is the electric charge that's put on the sensor when you take a picture, the higher the charge, the more noise you get, which increases how sensitive the sensor is to light, which is why you can get a higher shutter speed when using high ISO levels.

</smartass>
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Why's that being a smart ass.... now I understand it. Thanks. I know how I should set it but didn't know what it did exactly.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Gasp. Nikon's D90 records HD video. Do want.
So does the EOS 5D mark II. (or the 50D)

Return to “Creativity Board”