Do u hunt?

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

ROFL yea thats a big gun,
the bullet may be weak but that can be a advantage if it is very strong it will go right through if it is week it will expand almost explode on contact causing much more damage that is the whole theory behind hollow point bullets
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

True that. Guns rule. 8)

Especially an MG36.

donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

speaking of hunting, id yall hear about hogzilla 2 being killed? pretty scary stuff. Why would god unleash such horrifying things?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

you mean the hog that was over 1000 pounds ? yea that thing was a monster it was over 8ft long
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

i'd probally let the thing charge at me. i just dont have the balls to shoot it on point.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

steelsnake00 wrote:
darknight788 wrote:nice hog and nice gun , is that a 30-06 ? i believe cats are good for two things .... eating mice and dog food
Thirty-0's? Naa, what you want are .338 Lapua's or .50BMG's ;)
I've shot before; I've got a UK liscence but it's pretty limiting with the weapons I'm allowed to handle. I've shot shotguns and rifles up to a 5.56 on it before, but of course semi-automatic weapons and assault weapons are illegal here. When I was training for my job I got a fair bit of experiance with 9mm, .357 and .45 handguns but I don't do it exactly regularly. I don't own a weapon.
.50 cal and .338 Lapua are military and high powered target rounds. The ammunition is expensive and those guns don't have much use in Australia as hunting rounds. A 300 will take care of everything here from rabbits to buffalo.
@ Jopuma The 22.250 is a low powered calibre designed for foxes and other small game. It also can be used on pigs, deer and goats provided you hit them in the vitals. I've killed a 80kg sow with it using hollow points. It was a lung shot and ran about 50m before expiring. All semi-automactic rifles and shotgun are banned in Australia and you need to have a special license to aquire one.

@darknight778 The theory behind hollowpoint is that they expand and provide a large wound channel, destroying as much tissue as possible. No matter how fast the bullet is if its not a strongly constructed bullet there will be little penetration on the animal. Thats why solids are used agianst animals such as elephant and buffalo. But most importantly u have to hit them in the right place. Even if u have a 50BMG and shoot a boar in the bumbum its not gonna kill the thing.

Accuracy and the knowledge of the animals anatomy is the most important thing for a hunter to know. The animal deserves our respect and a quick and clean kill must be aimed for, because i for one don't want to see an animal suffer from poor shooting.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

well yea it has to be a good quality bullet, hollow points will cause massive damage like a .22 hollow point i used to shoot a raccoon ... killed the thing right away. but elephants and large mammals are just too big and too thick for a hollow point to do any internal damage
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

darknight788 wrote:well yea it has to be a good quality bullet, hollow points will cause massive damage like a .22 hollow point i used to shoot a raccoon ... killed the thing right away. but elephants and large mammals are just too big and too thick for a hollow point to do any internal damage
Actually there are a couple hollow points out there that are very strong in construction such as the Barnes X which is a hollow point made entirely out of copper alloy. Also there is a Fail Safe which is similar to the Barnes bullet but has a lead core at the base. These bullets are for larger game such as bear and moose which have large skeletal systems and need both sholders destroyed especially bears, so they have no chance of charging you. I've seen these strongly constructed hollow points used against buffalo.

As for Hogzilla, its only that big because it is a domestic pig gone feral. True wild boar such as those in europe cannot attain that size. Maybe 200-300kg but not 500kg such as Hogzilla.
Mopar_Muscle
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mopar_Muscle »

Those of you who were talking about the .50 cal handguns:

they are very cool. My cousin has the .50AE Desert Eagle IMI. I've shot it many times, and I have to say the gun isn't really anything more thant a psycological weapon. Of course the gun can pack a whollop, it is somewhat inaccurate. The 9 pound frame is heafty for a handgun, and even for a somewhat buildt guy like myself, it is a challenge to hold the gun out, at a firing position and get great and accurate shots. The blowback isn't as much as you would expect, but it does throw you off somewhat. And don't think about hitting anything if you're just going to unload.

But good luck with it all.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

Mopar_Muscle wrote:Those of you who were talking about the .50 cal handguns:

they are very cool. My cousin has the .50AE Desert Eagle IMI. I've shot it many times, and I have to say the gun isn't really anything more thant a psycological weapon. Of course the gun can pack a whollop, it is somewhat inaccurate. The 9 pound frame is heafty for a handgun, and even for a somewhat buildt guy like myself, it is a challenge to hold the gun out, at a firing position and get great and accurate shots. The blowback isn't as much as you would expect, but it does throw you off somewhat. And don't think about hitting anything if you're just going to unload.

But good luck with it all.
Thats true but handguns especially big bore ones are known for their inaccuracy to a point. Sure you'll hit stuff with em but by no means a target pistol. If you want accuracy in a pistol its gonna cost ya. When i have the money and pistol license i'll be gettin a Sig Sauer P226 X5. Its cost about $3000 Australian dollars!!
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Could you use Hollow Point bullets for hunting? That would be killer...to see the huge hole in a deer or something :twisted:
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Could you use Hollow Point bullets for hunting? That would be killer...to see the huge hole in a deer or something :twisted:
Provided the bullet is of adequete calibre, then yes, i could post some exit wounds from a .243 on a pig but it aint pretty. If u think the hole on the outside is cool, you should see what happens to the animal on the inside
Mopar_Muscle
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mopar_Muscle »

Thats true but handguns especially big bore ones are known for their inaccuracy to a point. Sure you'll hit stuff with em but by no means a target pistol. If you want accuracy in a pistol its gonna cost ya. When i have the money and pistol license i'll be gettin a Sig Sauer P226 X5. Its cost about $3000 Australian dollars!!

That is a very nice hand gun. Personally, I think I would like a Heckler & Koch USP, but then again, that is just me. I like .45s. The package is usually small, and even though it is a larger bored handgun, outclassing the 9mm, it packs an impressive punch and a decent amount of accuracy.
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Glopaticki wrote:
S2000_Skyline12 wrote:Could you use Hollow Point bullets for hunting? That would be killer...to see the huge hole in a deer or something :twisted:
Provided the bullet is of adequete calibre, then yes, i could post some exit wounds from a .243 on a pig but it aint pretty. If u think the hole on the outside is cool, you should see what happens to the animal on the inside
PM them?
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

evilmegamonkey wrote:
Glopaticki wrote:
PM them?
PM=?? If u mean post em then here is da photo! Note the exit wound on the pig closest to my brother!! :D

If u don't like hunting don't look cause i don't want ppl complaining

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9192/p1010006tg3.jpg
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

dang... a bullet did that nasty gash wound?
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

donaldgladden wrote:dang... a bullet did that nasty gash wound?
Yeah but it ain't a gash wound thats were the bullet exited.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

wow thats good damage right there, btw what brand are those bullets ?
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

They bullet used was a Remington Accutip, that box was put there because there was a competition where u can win a gun provided you have that brand of ammunition in the photo. They are called Highland but not the ammunition used
evilmegamonkey
Professional
Professional
Location: If this post is recent, probably in front of a computer/I heard this thing will cut you off from typ

Post by evilmegamonkey »

Glopaticki wrote:
Im guessing you shot it in a location diagonally to the pig

And PM=Private Message but you already posted them.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

evilmegamonkey wrote:
Glopaticki wrote:
Im guessing you shot it in a location diagonally to the pig

And PM=Private Message but you already posted them.
Well i wasn't there i had uni work to do but based on the hole i guess the pig was slightly facing the shooter or it was a side on shot and the bullet has slighly deviated from its path. I would get a better understanding if i could see the entry wound. But thats my guess.

harmv1234
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by harmv1234 »

i hunt fish
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Originally the Lapua was a wildcat cartridge for use against deer. A 30-06 or .223 won't always punch through parts like the haunches or shoulders, which area really thick. The round is also really stable, which is why it's been adapted as a military round for use in light antimaterial and counter-sniping duty, but your right about it being expensive. It's also an illegal caliber in the UK.
Theres an enormous surplus of .50 BMG ammo since the phasing out of much of the M2 arsenal. .50 BMG is usually used in custom made or high-velocity antimaterial, countersniping or supression.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

steelsnake00 wrote:Originally the Lapua was a wildcat cartridge for use against deer. A 30-06 or .223 won't always punch through parts like the haunches or shoulders, which area really thick. The round is also really stable, which is why it's been adapted as a military round for use in light antimaterial and counter-sniping duty, but your right about it being expensive. It's also an illegal caliber in the UK.
Theres an enormous surplus of .50 BMG ammo since the phasing out of much of the M2 arsenal. .50 BMG is usually used in custom made or high-velocity antimaterial, countersniping or supression.
Actually the 30-06 with a properly constructed bullet will kill a deer with ease, provided it destroys either the heart or lungs. As for punching through the hunches, a responsible hunter would only shoot when he confident of his shot bringing down game. A adequete bullet such as the 30-06 fired at the rear end of the deer will either break its spine or pelvis bringing the animal down or either not contacting bone and have a clear path through various organs. It can easily takedown the largest of he deer the moose. The 223 is a miniscule round it was designed for small varmint shooting when it was adopted by the various military groups to be chambered in their assualt rifles. The biggest gun i would use on a deer would be the 338 winchester magnum which is a cheaper alternative to the Lapua magnum which isn't avaibale in all rifles. Alot people use too much gun because they think it will compensate for poor accuracy. Alot of people underestimate the 30-06 but i would gladly use it on any of the deer species provided i use a premium bullet and adequete construction and that i have a clear shot of the animals vitals.

I personally think the 50BMG is goin be phased out soon due to more efficient calibres such as the .416 barret, .408 cheytac and the .460 steyr emerging out on the military market. Any thats my 2 cents

Cheers
Mopar_Muscle
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mopar_Muscle »

Yeah Glopaticki, 30-06 is effective in hunting deer. Where I'm from, the 30-06 is the preferred caliber of choice. That is not only preferred, but it is about the only thing that is used. Most people around here do as you said, and tend to aim at vital areas of the deer to kill it almost instantly.

Then again, around here, there is a lot of people who use the new composite bows to hunt with too.

Return to “General Discussion”