Need for speed world online map

2010 Need for Speed World
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Need for speed world online map

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Well I think this game's handling is a lot more like MW and Carbon, from what I can tell in the gameplay video's. And the free roam is vital to giving you that sense of atmosphere, the difference between UG1 and UG2 is that 1 felt like it was a racing game with street/city scenary, whereas 2 felt like you were racing IN a street/city.
i agree, its most likely going to be somewhere between MW and Carbon. i wonder which class would the R35 Skyline belong to. Tuners or Exotics?
Now, the open-environment racing was in Burnout Paradise, you just had a set start line, finish line and whole city open for you. they could do Sprint races that way, imagine a race beginning on one side of the map(say Palmont) and ending at the opposite side(Rockport). but then, from what we seen in Gameplay videos they still have those stupid red arrow borders :/
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Well in the beta videos that I saw they said that the handling is like Carbon's.

As for the open street racing, that is also in Midnight Club LA and yes it is pretty good. The arrows are fine as they are something which have been in all street racing NFS games. Would you rather have proper looking barriers which you cannot go through but apparently the traffic can? (Undercover)

The races could be something like the final few races of TDU which took you around almost all the map and would take a minimum of 15 minutes to complete, although we can't have races that long in WO but it could be close. That would be good if it was open street racing.

The R35 Skyline is obviously a Tuner :wink:
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

Racemaniac wrote: The arrows are fine as they are something which have been in all street racing NFS games. Would you rather have proper looking barriers which you cannot go through but apparently the traffic can? (Undercover)
I'd prefer no barriers at all, but a map. If you go to a junction and miss the correct lane, then pull the handbrake and turn back!

Off-topic: The R35 is no true Skyline. Not only its true name is just GT-R - it's too expensive, for example. The R35 is a high-performance sports car just as the 458 Italia, 911 Turbo, V8 Vantage and Gallardo. If these are exotics for NFS developers, the R35 also is.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Okay first off in regards to the arrows, I think that solid barriers was a bad idea, I think everyone agrees with that, but having no barriers whatsoever is a bit annoying from my experience. Sure, the walls in UG2/MW/C were a bit weird, but they weren't actually physically there, we knew they were just guiders for the driver. I think if you didn't have them you'd drive less aggressively to make sure you didn't skip a turn or something, which we all don't want. My idea is that you take the arrow walls and take away the wall bit, so you've kinda got floating arrows pointing out which way to go, instead of a whole wall barricading off the area.

And about the R35, you can't really have a fight about whether it's a tuner or an exotic because it's a bit of both. Obviously it comes from a line of "tuner" cars, these days R32/33/34's are regularly riced up by middle aged men. But at the same time, when each of the Skyline's came out, they were as powerful as a prestigious sports car, but had a common badge, so it was the "poor mans sports car", so basically the Skyline line of cars are the power (at the time of release) of a top end sports car, with the price tag of a tuner, making it a hybrid of the two genre's of cars.

The same goes for the R35, as you all know, this car is POWERFUL. But at the same time, 10 years down the track, it'll probably turn out the same as the rest of the cars, a powerful cheap alternative for people who aren't lawyers or real estate agents, but still hunger for the power of a prestigious badge.
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Well of course arrow in the middle of the road would be good, just like Midnight Club LA.

I guess the R35 GT-R could be under a new category called "Exotic Tuner." :P
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Racemaniac wrote:Well of course arrow in the middle of the road would be good, just like Midnight Club LA.

I guess the R35 GT-R could be under a new category called "Exotic Tuner." :P
thats why i asked, you cant make it handle like a typical Carbon tuner(handling and low top speed), but also cant make it exotic. or maybe it will be a Tier 4 Tuner? :lol:
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by oshaylinux »

Here's my take on the barriers/arrows thing. I liked the way TDU has them. They use cement barriers just as indicators to point out your way but if you so choice to you could go through them. The game would reset you if you went too far off coarse , I think. Barriers in a racing game is a "perfectable" element but it seems to boggle the minds of some some race game makers.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Completely open tracks are a great idea. Although you can get lost, there should be shortcuts, you should perfect your own route with the map but overall the Rockport-Palmont map seems to be simpler to navigate through than Paradise City's.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Better yet, you could give the player option to either have the barriers (obviously forcing everyone on the same route but also making sure the player doesn't get lost) or no barriers (letting players choose their own path but obviously there would be the possibility of getting lost.

For a lot of people I can see how they would like the immersion of having no barriers, but for a lot of players like myself, I find it easy to get lost (yes, I've played Burnout: Paradise) and would prefer barriers or guides of some sort to help me know exactly where I'm going, and also to even out the playing field (as everyone is racing the same ruote)

But of course it's a matter of personal taste, so the presumably small task of giving the player the choice in the options menu would be a convienience to all players.
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

I agree, an option to add or remove the barriers would be very convenient and it would also be the first game to do so if they implement it.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Well just on one of the gameplay video's on youtube I took a screen of the barriers and I love the look of them tbh, because it's not a complete see-through wall, just the arrows, so that's good. I'd assume most people would be happy with that.
Attachments
WO arrows.JPG
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

I agree, the arrows do look pretty cool. Something out of the ordinary. I guess it would be a shame to remove something that looks so good.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

speaking of looks , i like that teal shining speedometer and the fact we get digital RPM display :)
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Actually speaking, the full HUD looks really clean and nice. Quite an improvement I must say.
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote: My idea is that you take the arrow walls and take away the wall bit, so you've kinda got floating arrows pointing out which way to go, instead of a whole wall barricading off the area.
That's a good idea.
Dr Houbenheimer wrote: would prefer barriers or guides of some sort [...] to even out the playing field (as everyone is racing the same ruote)

There is another disadvantage with open routes: you may be racing with nobody around, which in my opinion sucks. I love to have rivals tailing me, tryint to spin me out or making me smash a wall. But since I've never had that freedom (didn't play Midnight Club), I demand NFS developers it just once to taste it. Besides, true cop chases during races would be much better if you could choose any path to lose them.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Yeah when I took the picture I thought that the HUD looked really modern and "snazzy", it all looks very nice.

And yeah, I agree with you 100% Naburu, even though you were agreeing with me xD
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

So you want open street racing but with floating arrows in the middle of the road. Not checkpoints? As that would become like Midnight Club Los Angeles.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Racemaniac wrote:So you want open street racing but with floating arrows in the middle of the road. Not checkpoints? As that would become like Midnight Club Los Angeles.
i think he means the arrow floating up on your screen, pointing at the direction of next checkpoint.
also the checkpoints would not be so far from each other i guess(as it is most of time in Midnight Club Los Angeles) so you would see someone nearby most of time. but speaking of Midnight Club, its entirely different game really although its themed with tuning like NFS was for some time already , so what works in MC does not have to necessarily work with NFS WO, also remember the cities in both games are completely different , you don't jump above highways and buildings in NFS too.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Yeah so I meant exactly how it looks in the screenshot I posted higher up on this page, actually :)
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

So no floating arrows?
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Well they are floating, but in the same spot as normally, but there's no actually full wall along the side. Just have a look at the picture, because that's exactly what I was envisioning.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Well they are floating, but in the same spot as normally, but there's no actually full wall along the side. Just have a look at the picture, because that's exactly what I was envisioning.
if i recall correctly, Underground had red arrows (without a complete wall), and in a free roam game like world online it would be really nice , maybe with possibility to choose a different path, and racers out of normal path disappearing off your map to for more fun?
Raakone
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Raakone »

A question....are they planning on putting back San Juan...the area that was supposed to be in NFS Carbon but removed (except for Collector's Edition races, and the tutorial race)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

If, then only in some sort of DLC.
actually, some "DLC map expansions" could be fun if they were kept reasonable. a new district or something is ok but entire town is over the top. San Juan could be good.
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by rcgldr »

Note the maps in the first post of this thread are slightly off, in terms of the connector roads. The third from the north connector road is included in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twTi1c5Ah8w&fmt=22

Return to “World”