TECH TALK - ask your technical car questions

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

From "SuperChevy" (link) ...

WHAT IS BLUEPRINTING?

Contrary to its name, blueprinting an engine has nothing to do with big rolls of paper that have strange, blue-colored drawings on them. Blueprinting an engine starts by designing it on paper first. Calculating things like compression ratio, piston pin (compression) height, displacement, and carburetor cfm requirements are all the beginnings of the true blueprinting process. From there it involves properly communicating your needs to the parts manufacturers and to your machinist and finally checking the parts, by hand, to ensure that they all meet your requirements.

That is, blueprinting involves first designing the engine to suit the purposes you intend to use it for, then building it meticulously with (likely custom made) precision engineered parts. You're gonna start with a block, which will need precision machining to spec, and then add those parts and components with care until you have a bulletproof engine. Sounds pretty straightforward.. :shock:
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

whats a stroker engine?
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

In case you don't want to read all of that, stroking is basicallly putting shorter conrods in your engine to increase the displacement.

Of course there are other things involved (like a new crankshaft), but that's basically it.
Last edited by boganbusman on 24 Jul 2006, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

but i personally think that changing the stroke will gradually change the engine characteristic. i have seen alot 4X4 trucks engine have longer stroke, and most racing engines have shorter stroke. long stroke engine to me is with better low end torque, and short stroke engine can go higher rev. by comparing the of the bore to the stroke, and you know what i mean.

so i guess that if you replace a longer con rod and make it runs a long stroke you will be better low end torque but it the other hand as a trade, you wont get high rev performance.

same thing that if you put shorter con rod you will get high end rev performance in exchange of low end torque.

of course you have to take care of the compression ratio too (special thickness head gasket, or different compression ratio piston...), you don't want to get a blown engine or a low power engine
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Can one of the mods please make this sticky?

btw thanks for the contribution malboroman :wink:
Last edited by boganbusman on 25 Feb 2005, 06:04, edited 2 times in total.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Not a question this time, call it more a contribution.
After I asked some RX7 boys to explain Horsepower and Torque to me I finally got the hint.
Now maybe other people than me can get to understand the whole torque thing?
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=393712

I hope that can help some people.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

not a problem boganbusman, i am still learning, happy to discuss and sharing knowledge with you guys.

the link is very very helpful, MUST see !! thanks sweeper
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

whats a bore?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

The 'bore' measurement in an engine is the diameter (width) of the cylinders.

To 'bore' the engine is to make the cylinders wider by machining the block. Doing this will give you more displacement. Depending on how much you bore the block, you might have to get new rings or forged pistons (or both).
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Ok, now a question.

Forged pistons.
I understand these are forged in a predesigned shape, but what are they generally made from compared to normal pistons? Is there a point in forging NA pistons?
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

Sweeper,

i noticed that no one wants to answer this and this for some time and this is my own point of view.....

i bet some of the after market forged pistons are made with better material, most of all the process of forged pistons is the main point here, it is "cut" out from a piece of alloy, i dunno about the physics, but it is proven forged items can take more stress than the mold ones.

is there a point in forging NA pistons...

yes it is, when you want to change the compression ratio of the stock engine to something like 12:1 or maybe more, custom forge piston comes in. sometimes that a high compression NA engine (13:1) like the TRD celica, has more compress pressure in the combustion chamber than the force induction ones, i guess the custom forged piston in this paticular NA engine will do its work of taking high pressure and heat. and they are running octane 100 or more fuel to avoid severe engine knocking case.

* i have heard that the higher the octane the higher the chemical stablity of the particular fuel, so that it can be compressed with very high pressure without "explode" before the spark plugs ignite. diesel engines are "natural" combustion engines, thier high compression ratio will compress the fuel and explode in the cimbustion chamber without any help of spark plug.
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

what is compression ratio? hehe....
chimpzrl
Drift King
Drift King

Post by chimpzrl »

A guess to see if I can guess right:

The ratio of the compression of the engine to the normal volume of air. (change in pressure).
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Oh sh*t . . . I didn't see your question Sweeper :oops:

Thanks for answering that malboroman.

And chimpzrl is pretty much right, the compression ratio is the compression of the intake charge in the cylinders. Eg: 10:1 means 10x normal air pressure inside the cylinder.

Oh, and remember that the maximum compression is only reached when the piston is fully extended.

One last thing: When a fuel explodes spontaneously (because of heat caused by compression), like diesel, it's called a 'low flashpoint' fuel. Fuels with a 'high flashpoint' are usually high octane petrols, and that means that they can take a lot of heat before they ignite. (and spark plugs generate extreme heat)
Last edited by boganbusman on 24 Jul 2006, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

here is a little picture to help understand better for the compression ratio thingy.
this is the image i remember from the "how stuff works" page.
this is a picture of compression ratio 10:1
all together is 11 portions, 10 compressed to the 1 portion = 10:1 compression ratio
Attachments
compression ratio.JPG
(24 KiB) Downloaded 18120 times
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Thanks Marlboroman and Bogusman you answered my next questions as well about compression ratios.
And a good drawing that explained how it worked in practical solutions.

Now onto the next question which is more tricky, I hear the max compression for a rotary is around 20:1 is it then possible to run it on diesel, more exact turbo diesel?
just wondering what the average compression is in a piston diesel.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

A turbo deisel with 20:1 comp would just explode I reckon. The diesel would probably ignite instantly and it wouldn't work unless you dropped the compression significantly.

Edit 24/7/06: Diesel engines actually have a compression ratio of 23:1, my bad.

Would a rotary run on diesel? No idea :P Can a rotary even reach 23:1 compression?

But malboroman probably knows more than I do.
Last edited by boganbusman on 24 Jul 2006, 13:00, edited 4 times in total.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

sorry, I don't know much about rotary and diesel engines. recently i have been thinking about how to increase the rotary compression ratio, totally i have no idea about it. I would like to know much.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Oh right. Well . . . just go to HowStuffWorks and read up on deisel engines. That might help you a bit.

Or maybe there is someone else here who knows about this stuff.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Damn, I got the team stuck, HELL!
I can't ask the RX7 owners again, they will just end up in an argument over some guys homemade diesel and such and never go anywhere.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

lol, hehe, yeah man. i dunno much about rotaries and diesel.

well this is not an answer well is my own point of view. if diesel is running a compression around 20:1.

if the 13B rising its compression ratio to 20:1 NA gasoline (thats almost F1 level !! whos would do that ?) it might need a very good fuel with very high octance, perhaps F1 fuel. probably (again) custom made rotary unit (triangular thing) to raise the compression, and alot alot ....worse of all this is alot of money......

the same 20:1 rotary runs on diesel, thoeritically it can, but will need alot things to be customized, rotary compression housing, diesel injection system etc etc...(again thats alot money..)

moreover a diesel turbo same engine, it doesn't matters just lowered the compression ratio, correct boost, fuel air mix ratio but i bet then should work.

anyone else any idea ?
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Well that was the absolute maximum for the Wankel rotary design according to Dr Felix Wankel himself and his studies.
But I heard from people that it wasn't enough, but seeing as piston diesels runs a lot lower compression I guess a rotary can go diesel too.

I doubt anybody has built a 20:1 rotary because that is like stretching a design to its ultimate limit.
But thanks anyways Marlboro man, you have cleared up a few myths within my head around diesels and rotaries.
Because they said the only way to make a proper diesel rotary was to make the middle rotor of a 3 rotor engine work like an inefficient supercharger, pre compressing the mixture.
MarlboroMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MarlboroMan »

did you mean that in that case the mid rotary didn't get fuel and air and play as a dummy ?
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

MarlboroMan wrote:did you mean that in that case the mid rotary didn't get fuel and air and play as a dummy ?
I mean that all the fuel and the air is first feeded into the middle rotor to get a precompression.
Then that precompressed mixture goes to the other 2 rotors that makes the combustion.
Though a such design is not the best in my book.

Return to “The Cars”