Bicyclism! ! !

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Carcrazy wrote:
PSZeTa wrote:I don't see why you want to ''powerslide'' a bicycle either.
It's fun... and funny when it slides out from under you. :lol:

Just like doing stoppies, wheelies, or burnouts. :wink: Wheelies are hard... does anyone know an easy way to do them?
Hmm you could try going at a nice pace and then jerk the bike up and pedal to keep balance but even doing that requires practice
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I try to do a Burnout, push with my foot while pulling on the handle bars and pedaling rapidly. If I could get my left foot on the pedal before I lose speed and get pulled by gravity then I could hold it much longer. The longest I've held one was about 3-5 seconds... really hurt my suspension when I came back down. I also almost flipped it from my flat tire.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

TheStig wrote:Looks nice mate, on 1 of my bikes I got the same casssette and it looks nice and works great. You now officially have a professional part on your bike. :wink:

As soon as I got my showbike fixed/done, I will make some new pictures of my bikes and post them the way they are now.
Well, I got pretty damn tired of riding a new bike to scrap every 1,5 years or so, I thought it was time for some quality stuff.. :P Plus I get to learn how to fix and build a bike, which always comes in handy for later. I'll get some sticker remover to get rid of the crappy stickers on my frame and crap suspension fork (Suntour anyone..?).
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

heres one way id ever use a bike, to get me around to places to skate at, and yes, i dont like to use them at all
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I just shreded my tire in a drift :cry:

It's in 3 peices... I didn't think to take a picture of it though. (Old Bike, not my new one I normally use.)
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Maybe you should leave those things to cars..
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Maybe you should first learn how to use a bike, and learn what a bike can and can't do.

For instance:
- You can't drift a bike, neighter can you Powerslide a bike., only thing it can do is skidding.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Actually you can if you have really really good timing and a VERY worn out tire with little traction.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I've yet to see someone sliding a bike WHILE pedalling and continue to slide it.. You can't maintain your balance like that on 2 wheels.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

If you can do that you would have seen Motorbikers do it. and they can even keep their feet on the ground. And on a bike you can't cause you'll loose speed and the rotation you need to get the wheel spinning.

And on a normal road it virtually impossible to spin your rearwheels while driving. cause the traction the tires create is way to high for your legs to overcome.
The human body simply can't create enough torque to overcome the traction of the rubber on the road.
The only thing you can reduce the traction is to make the tires and the road very slik, so the tires don't have any grip at all. with for instance oil.

But because you don't have any grip, you almost can't control your bike and the bike will most likely fall from under you.

But if you can proof me wrong. go ahead.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Combine those 2 vids and it's drift. The dude in the first vid was pretty damn good in maintaining his balance, but I missed pedalling. :)
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Like PsZeta said, the first one is not drifting, seen plenty of "drifting" movies on YouTube. but real drifting is simply impossible to do.
The first movie, is cotrolled sliding wich also is done with very low grip tires.
Have to say it is impressive how it's done. but because there is no propulsion it simply is not drifting.

The second movie is a classic. Very nicely done, and very hard to do.
You can call it abit of miniature drifting but it's more making donuts with a bike.
As you can see he has a very small bike to be as close to the ground as possible and has all his weight over the front wheel. to remove as much weight and thus traction from the rear wheel. and that combined with a most likely horrible worn tire and plenty of practice makes a donut.
If you take a bigger bike, your centre of gravity will be shiften and it's alot harder to keep the bike in balance.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I'm telling you if you have the correct timeing and enough momentum you can drift it, you first pull the e-brake setting the bike into a skid, then lean forward and petal hard, if you have the correct timing you can drift it instead of just skiding the bike around a corner.

This also works great in puddles! :P
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

And how long exactly can you hold that drift? 1 second?

It's very unlikely that you pedal while sliding. Especially because you're using your weight when pedalling, thus making it near impossible to balance the bike.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I'm still working on my techniqe but it is posible.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Hmm since when does a bike have a E-brake? never seen a bike with a E-brake.
Front brake yes, rear brake also, but a Ebrake... never seen or heard of it.

I think you have to work alot harder to convince me that it's possible.
I know what a bike in general can and can't do, in my spare time I work as Mountainbike instructor and learn people to do stuff with the bike they normally would not have done, but that can be very handy or just for fun.
Stuff like Wheelies, Bunnyhops, stoppies and most important of all a simple balance with a bike without moving and logically without touching the ground with your feet.
I'm biking (as a sport) since 93 and seen alot of crazy stuff that people can do with bikes.
But drifting? never seen anyone do it, and IMO the reason is simple a bike is a balance vehicle and if you loose balance you will fall. same reason I never seen a motorbike drifting.

But like I said proof me wrong.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Staying up on a bike actually has less to do with balance than it does how fast the wheels are spinning. If you take a bike wheel and have it so you can hold just the wheel while still being able to spin it, you'd see that it's much more difficult to rotate the wheel on it's X axis (it's X axis being the axis on which the wheel spins). In lamen's terms, it would probably take more effort to fall off a bike while moving than it would take to stay on.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

True if you are going in a steight line. due to the centrifugal forces.
But as soon as you aply force on the bike by pulling the steering wheel, the rotational force is transferred into a gyroscopic force and the bike will tilt. and thus it will become relatively unstable.
If you shift your weight over the front of the bike to create a loss of traction to the rearwheel, the rear will become unstable because it has almost no grip and because you can't steer a bike without tilting your bike (Kepler's laws) the bike will tilt and when it does without having enough traction the rearend will slide from under you, and the chance you can stop it from doing that and preventing a "crash" is small.

It is very hard to keep a bike upright in a corner, the only way is to shift your weight over the outside of the corner, to counteract the gyroscopic forces that want to pull the bike over as soon as you steer the bike (with steering wheel) but as soon as you loose a slide and regain traction you are trown of your bike with force, trust me you can fly for several feet, I been there :?

Hazmat, what you explained are basicly the Laws by Kepler or at least the first law (if I am not mistaken it's the first law)
You can also test the effect of these gyro forces by simply and gently pushing against the handlebar while riding and you will notice that if you push to one side and not touch the other side you will not steer in that direction but the bike will want to tilt.
* IF YOU TRY IT, DO IT AT A LOW SPEED AND KEEP YOUR HANDS AS CLOSE TO THE HANDLEBAR AS POSSIBLE**
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I got some questions again:

What's the difference between the ES51 bottom brackets except for shell and axle width?
http://www.bike2build.nl/toonartikel.php?id=2371

I got the 68/121 FCM531 version for my M540 crankset. After I asked the shop, they told me I needed the FCM572/445.

And the valve holes on the M505 wheels turned out to be too small for Schraeder valves. Is drilling the holes a little larger okay?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I did it on my old 22' street/trick bike, but it was on grass. If I could get the rear brake (AKA E-brake as I call it) I could throw it into a spin and MAYBE could pull it off with the downhill road I have.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

PSZeTa wrote:I got some questions again:

What's the difference between the ES51 bottom brackets except for shell and axle width?
http://www.bike2build.nl/toonartikel.php?id=2371

I got the 68/121 FCM531 version for my M540 crankset. After I asked the shop, they told me I needed the FCM572/445.

And the valve holes on the M505 wheels turned out to be too small for Schraeder valves. Is drilling the holes a little larger okay?
To be honest I can't really tell the diffirence. and why to use wich one.

Don't drill holes in the rims just ditch the schreader valves and get a nice set of light MTB tubes with presta valves. they are better valves the the Schreader (CAR) valves.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Ah damn, now I have to get new innertubes. :'D

I'll go to the local bike store then.. See what they got. I hate wasting money lol.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

One of the most usefull upgrades is to change your tires and tubes, but alot of people forget about that.
The best tubes to get are Latex tubes.
For instance Michelin C4 Latex. they are alot lighter then normal tubes (around 125g while regular tubes are over 200g) they got a low rolling resistance and they have a higher resitance against leaks, specially hard impact leaks.
They are more expensive then normal tubes but IMO they are very well worth it.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I finally found the parts I need... since I blew my tire trying to break the drifting "imposibility"...

Tire

I can't find the inner tube anywhere... but It's a 26" Bell Self Sealing Innertube with "Airtight Technology" and prefilled with Slime Sealant, ( The slim is good, I got a nail stuck in my tire once with one of these inner tubes in a 18" tire, and I was still able to ride home on it... heck, I haven't even needed to replace the inner tube. IN three years I've only had to add air once :D

Return to “General Discussion”