$200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: $200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Post by steelsnake00 »

All the people who claimed it was faster than the GT2 were wrong then :P
And one second quicker than a Porsche GT3 with 100bhp less? Just goes to prove that the 'Ring is all about the driver, not the car. See the McLaren F1 still up there at the top?
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

I agree with steelsnake, and the fact that the track was wet may have been an advantage if the driver knew how to use the damp conditions in his favour.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Before it's release, the Nissan testers rented the ring every Monday, testing 2-3 cars, starting each at 1 min difference, that was when It beat Veyron's time.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070922.003 ... g-ring-run
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Judging by the content, that article is old.

Anyway, I don't believe that the GTR holds a better lap time than the Veyron. Has anyone seen the movie on youtube where there's a lightly tuned R35?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No41F_IR2X4

And this is some random video of a battle between past skyline and the R35. Note that the past cars have probably had over a hundred thousand dollars of mods... And the R35's stock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PibuVqlf1u4

And this is another modified R35! Unfortunately they're talking is Jap.This is one fast R35! With no engine mods!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyME0t3Z ... re=related
oh snap
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Y'know, I wouldn't buy a car based on how fast it is, or how much power it has... I'd buy a car based on how much fun it is to drive. 8) The R35s in the last two videos were automatics, therefore, not fun to drive. ;) In fact, the R35 probably has so many driving aids, that the driver is doing less driving than the computer. :P
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Not automatic (though there is an automatic mode), silly. Paddle shifts. Which me thinks would be extremely fun to drive. There's been so many times where I'm driving through mountain passes or anything with complex turns and I wish I had paddle shifters. But then again, there's nothing better than a good rev-match before a corner.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Meh. Clutch pedal > flappy paddles. Don't have as much control with the flappy paddles.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Meh. Clutch pedal > flappy paddles. Don't have as much control with the flappy paddles.
But, then again, not all of us are pro drivers.

Anyway, did you see how fast that R34 was? That must of been a 3.5 0-100...

So, what to with $200,000? Invest in the stock market of course!

Nah, R35+aftermarket parts.

And is $200,000 in AUD or USD?
oh snap
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Paddle shifts with double clutch, you can't mis shift and you always get that 3.8s acceleration from 0-100km/h. I do believe the R35 is fun to drive Haz :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

danyutz wrote:you can't mis shift and you always get that 3.8s acceleration from 0-100km/h.
And that's exactly why it's not fun.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

Why not? Is no fun at all, when you mis shift, or you make the drivetrain to do weird sounds. Sequential gearboxes are much better than automatic ones, at least you have some activity and you always keep your both hands on the wheel, which is safer.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

The Bugatti Veyron is 5 seconds slower round the 'Ring than the GTR is, with a proven time of 7.40. Lets not forget that although Porsche has pretty much played its hand now, Nissan are still to release the ''lightweight'' GTR V-Spec in the not too distant future.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

boganbusman wrote:
danyutz wrote:you can't mis shift and you always get that 3.8s acceleration from 0-100km/h.
And that's exactly why it's not fun.
so you want a car that gives you a change, right?

meh, all i want is a moderately fun car that I can drive around easily!

@grez-supra-And more power!
oh snap
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:The Bugatti Veyron is 5 seconds slower round the 'Ring than the GTR is, with a proven time of 7.40. Lets not forget that although Porsche has pretty much played its hand now, Nissan are still to release the ''lightweight'' GTR V-Spec in the not too distant future.
Don't underestimate Porsches plzkthx.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I'd say Grez knows a little bit more about cars than you do, Porsche. Give him some credit. :P Or at least the benefit of the doubt.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

The V-spec is a hardcore version... so it's designed to beat all those hardcore porches for a much lower price. Nissan have created something fantastic!
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:I'd say Grez knows a little bit more about cars than you do, Porsche. Give him some credit. :P Or at least the benefit of the doubt.
I'd be surprised if he didn't know more than me :P

But if he is implying that the Nissan GT-R V-Spec will beat all the Porsche times (including the Edo 996 GT2 RS @ 7:15) with a 77 horsepower boost and 330 lb. weight reduction, that is a pretty lofty goal. The 996 GT2 RS still beats the GT-R V-Spec in horsepower and weight by quite a bit (if sources for the V-Spec are correct).

But I do agree with him on how Porsche has played all their cards, as it is unlikely the Panamera will perform anywhere close to even a stock 997 Turbo.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Porsche-AG wrote:
xHaZxMaTx wrote:I'd say Grez knows a little bit more about cars than you do, Porsche. Give him some credit. :P Or at least the benefit of the doubt.
I'd be surprised if he didn't know more than me :P

But if he is implying that the Nissan GT-R V-Spec will beat all the Porsche times (including the Edo 996 GT2 RS @ 7:15) with a 77 horsepower boost and 330 lb. weight reduction, that is a pretty lofty goal. The 996 GT2 RS still beats the GT-R V-Spec in horsepower and weight by quite a bit (if sources for the V-Spec are correct).

But I do agree with him on how Porsche has played all their cards, as it is unlikely the Panamera will perform anywhere close to even a stock 997 Turbo.
Edo tuned... well who says a Mine's tuned GTR won't come along and beat it?
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

No one.

But by the time that comes around, I'm sure there will be an Edo tuned 997 GT2 to give it a run for its money.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

By comparing modified to stock, youre comparing apples to oranges. :wink:

My point was, the GTR has been driven to a 7.35 already, the 997 GT2 (Porsches 'Top Trump', if you will) has lapped a 7.31 (driven by Walter himself). Its extremely feasible that with more power and less weight, Nissan will shed four seconds on a 13+ mile circuit. Lets not forget the price difference between the GTR and the 997 GT2, either.

Whats also worth remembering for all the GTR fanboys too, is that despite all this hype, its only 1 second quicker round the 'Ring than the old R34 GTR was.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

baumaxx1 wrote:Edo tuned... well who says a Mine's tuned GTR won't come along and beat it?
Companies like RuF, 9FF and most of the other big Porsche tuners are seen as manufacturers in the eyes of most authorities. Hence they will be seen as "production" cars rather than modified ones.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

I heard that some guys pulled out 3.5s from 0-100km, for the GTR.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

steelsnake00 wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:Edo tuned... well who says a Mine's tuned GTR won't come along and beat it?
Companies like RuF, 9FF and most of the other big Porsche tuners are seen as manufacturers in the eyes of most authorities. Hence they will be seen as "production" cars rather than modified ones.
Yes but that's Porsche...

Edo have also done the Murcielago LP640, the 599 GTB, f430, and the Gallardo I think to name a few. They are a modifying brand.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:By comparing modified to stock, youre comparing apples to oranges. :wink:

My point was, the GTR has been driven to a 7.35 already, the 997 GT2 (Porsches 'Top Trump', if you will) has lapped a 7.31 (driven by Walter himself). Its extremely feasible that with more power and less weight, Nissan will shed four seconds on a 13+ mile circuit. Lets not forget the price difference between the GTR and the 997 GT2, either.

Whats also worth remembering for all the GTR fanboys too, is that despite all this hype, its only 1 second quicker round the 'Ring than the old R34 GTR was.
Somehow I knew that argument was coming, but I was hoping you'd decide on something else :P

The only thing I can really say is I hope that Nissan gets a real crappy driver to lap the Ring when the time comes :lol:
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

@grez Supra-about the R35 being only 1 second faster around the track, please remember that it's quite a bit hevier, and it's been made to be a lot easier to drive, so not just race drivers can drive at high speed!

@baumaxx-There already is one, just exhaust and a few other minor mods...
And the V-spec is going to be hardcore, but will they take some of the tech out, like the sat-nav+engine management, make some parts carbon fibre, etc.
oh snap

Return to “The Cars”