Purvis Eureka project

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

weedman173 wrote:arabnight, are you commenting on the vents and headlights? Those are photoshopped.
I was wondering why there was a hose coming from under-neath it... :lol:
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Well me & dad decided all ideas are gone dad & i decided its too much trying to copy other peoples or other cars also we have to think money wise, so we have decided we will do it our own way. Anyways this Saturday coming up (7/07/07) we are going to get my uncle, my sisters bf and others to help take of the body it is very heavy even know its fiberglass but me and dad tried but failed so once the body is taken off we are going to paint the bottom chassis black then after that flip it back over and put the body back on...
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Sounds good. Hope you don't mind me asking, but what is a Purvis Eureka?
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Purvis Eureka is the car they're working on...
lol wut
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

The Purvis Eureka caused an instant sensation when it was unveiled at the Melbourne Car Show in March 1974. Modern Motor promptly featured the Eureka on its cover in June 1974, and Sports Car World included a “we drove it first” article in July 1974. Over the next decade or so, SCW, Wheels and other magazines had Eurekas on their covers, and articles on the Eureka appeared in magazines from “Kit Car” to “Racing Car News”.

The Eureka started life in the UK in 1971, where it was called the Nova, and was soon sold in the USA as the Sterling, and in South Africa as the Eagle. Aussie Allan Purvis, on holiday in the UK in late 1971, saw an opportunity for the Nova and made distribution arrangements for Australia and New Zealand. It is estimated that a total of around 10-11,000 Nova based kit cars have been sold around the world. With 683 Kits being produced in Australia. Allan chose to rename the Nova to Eureka in recognition of the fighting spirit demonstrated by the miners at the Eureka Stockade, and adopted the Eureka flag as the company symbol. Being told that the car would never make it past the Australian Design Regulations simply made Allan more defiant and determined.

There is no escaping the distinctiveness of the low, sleek form of the Eureka with its radical opening roof, which certainly turns heads where-ever it goes. Economy is another huge success factor, in terms of what these days would be called “total cost of ownership”. Being a kit car, the labour component could be excluded from the purchase price, and with the standard VW engine, fuel economy was excellent. The Eureka was also in the lowest insurance category. There was also the safety factor. The long nose actually formed a great crumple zone, and thick fibreglass panels and wide box sections gave the body of the Eureka excellent strength. Performance wasn’t too bad either, given the aerodynamics and reduced body weight.

Provided the owner with many options to create a totally individual sports car. If the factory options weren’t adequate, the owner had plenty of other choices. VW or Ford engines could be hotted up in all manner of ways, or could be replaced by something completely different. Mazda rotary and Subaru flat 4 engines are popular, and various other engines have also been fitted. Probably nothing beats a peripheral port 13B rotary in a 780kg Eureka for real sports car fun!

Disc brakes from later model VWs can be fitted on the front, and rear disc conversions are also available. There is also scope to play with the suspension for improved road handling. A Porsche 914 5-speed gearbox could also be fitted for extra performance.

Being of fiberglass construction, body modifications can be made quite easily, and t-bar type and open top roofs can be created. Pop up headlights, modified rear lights, and different rear spoilers can all be added to make the car more individual

PL30

Second model, produced roughly between 1975 and 1976
Higher roof, with increased windscreen angle. This allowed taller owners, and vastly improved reflection problems. The plastic rear molding was replaced by a neater set of squared double rear lights, with a narrow bumper bar underneath. The instrument panel was squared up and enlarged to hold more gauges, and the passenger side of the dash was flattened out. The dash was also remodeled to allow center installation of a cd/cassette. The center console was rebuilt to around 10” wide at the top, and on a 45 degree angle over the gear shift, giving the impression of a much shorter gear shift. The width of the console allows heaps of switches. It also reduced leg room dramatically.

http://www.eurekacarclub.com.au/page/models.htm
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Thanks for that. I now know history!!!

Not that I didn't know history before...
Last edited by Koenigsegg_Rox on 06 Jul 2007, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Sure... :wink:
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

race_invader wrote:Well me & dad decided all ideas are gone dad & i decided its too much trying to copy other peoples or other cars also we have to think money wise, so we have decided we will do it our own way. Anyways this Saturday coming up (7/07/07) we are going to get my uncle, my sisters bf and others to help take of the body it is very heavy even know its fiberglass but me and dad tried but failed so once the body is taken off we are going to paint the bottom chassis black then after that flip it back over and put the body back on...
here's a link to a gloss red one, i guess this is what yours looked like when it was with the original owner (only this one has custom lights and rims, yours doesn't)

Picture
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Nah that type of red is really not what it look like when the original owner had it.. it was just a plain red. :)

Update: Body is off and now dad & i are cleaning it all out and finally starting to get into it.

Ill have better photo's of it later on..
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

since it looks like you got coilovers you can send yours to tein and they will make custom ones just for your car
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

We're not all made of money, viper16 :roll:

Look he can't even afford jackstands, just cinder blocks :P Anyway, seems to be progressing nicely. Are you going to powder coat the chassis after you've cleaned it up?
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Re: Purvis Eureka project

Post by race_invader »

The front and the back will be chassis black plus gear box & the pan will be under tar undersealer. Btw we do have jackstands, just cinder blocks :) but my uncle has got them since he built up a ford mustang fastback.

Oh for got to mention the front end it actually taken off in that pic though it looks together.

Update: My dad has cut out the pan and getting new sheets of metal since the other original ones are rusted also had to many holes, the whole pan is kinda cleaned out we used a grinder but we will get the rest sand blasted, we also need some new bolts and rubbers for cracked ones also decided since the engine is in the rear for the air flow we will add K&N air pod.

Update 2: Been awhile since i posted here, we had the brakes skimmed, brakes pulled apart and clean out, all CV joints taken apart and cleaned then re greased, new bearings, painted the chassis, the front sway bar painted and fitted on except it needs to be adjusted so
then the suspension can fit in. Gear box put back in & painted same colour as chassis also reconnected,

Progress shots:

Old

New

boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Wow, it looks brilliant after a good clean up :)

See if you can get some discs for the rear though, shouldn't be too hard to find something that fits.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Hmm.. Nah were gonna stick with Rear drums since they are cleaned out and still in good condition. :)
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

oh noes... no updates in 2 weeks :(
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

race_invader wrote:Hmm.. Nah were gonna stick with Rear drums since they are cleaned out and still in good condition. :)
lol . . . it's not about whether they're in good condition, it's about whether they will make you stop :lol:

With all that weight in the rear, you're going to find that the front brakes will lock up very easily. More rear braking power plz.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Heh, that reminds me of a Chevy Corvair I saw this weekend with drum brakes in the rear and drilled disc brakes in the front. :P
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

boganbusman wrote:lol . . . it's not about whether they're in good condition, it's about whether they will make you stop :lol:

With all that weight in the rear, you're going to find that the front brakes will lock up very easily. More rear braking power plz.
Well i am reassured from my dad that they will stop the car. :lol:
--
Well haven't posted much since not much has been done lately. We have put the rear/front suspension in now, the seat adjusters have been fixed up and painted, we are getting the fuel tank made bigger so then it can give us another 10 litres of fuel, we can now put the body back on it but it has no engine so our main goal now is the engine, Oh and all four wheels have been put back on. :)

Screens:
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Sweet, you should just turn it into a F1 Car lol, would be really awsome, all you need is the top cover :P
Explicit signature removed.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Umm it's a nice idea but wouldn't like it on this car at all..
--------

We are trying to make a start on the engine rebuild at the moment we can buy most parts for the bottom half of the engine. Just we need to get parts for the head or buy a complete new/used head for it. So if anyone in WA knows were to get a 4G32 chain drive SOHC head please let us know but also we are trying to do this as cheap as we can, we aint on a low budget just don't wanna go over into the $1000 limit just for a engine etc, our best bet would be just to do it ourself but it would be easyer getting a new one or a good conditioned one. Soon we will be working on the body & the bodykits to it, before anyone asks... No its not a sports bodykit or anything its just the stock kit. :)

--------

Came to a halt for awhile and still are... The recent stuff is that we have received the fuel tank and it is now made bigger from the bottom, we also have been looking at the dash and where the gages should go and all the switches etc, thats about it for now. Should be updated maybe after Xmas depending on things. :)
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

oh man, this looks great! congrats for the work so far!
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Engine stuff, something like a KR 1.8 16v VW engine is probably the way forward. You can probably pick one up for a couple of hundred dollars and it's more powerful than the SOHC, 2 valve per cylinder motor. If it's already rigged up to run a water cooled motor it will be an easy transplant.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Thanks for the motor idea, im interested in to know more about the KR 1.8 16v VW engine would you know the car model the engine is out of? so i could get information about it etc. :) also would that motor bolt onto a 1600 Volkswagen gearbox?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

race_invader wrote:Thanks for the motor idea, im interested in to know more about the KR 1.8 16v VW engine would you know the car model the engine is out of? so i could get information about it etc. :) also would that motor bolt onto a 1600 Volkswagen gearbox?
The KR is the 16v motor from the VW Corrado, Mk2/3 16v GTi and Jetta GLi. It's a DOHC I4 motor of roughly the same size as the 4G32 and produced 140bhp standard. The gearbox would need to be a 1Y or 2Y box, but they're the same size and fiment as the 1600's. Cooling may be an issue, though.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Thanks for the info, it's nice except we wanna keep the 1600 gearbox. :) We have found a Alfa romeo 33 engine for $800 very nice and small, going to talk to a guy over the net who has one in his Nova which is pretty much that same deal looking as a eureka, we also have looked at his images and does look like he has the same gearbox as ours so if he has a 1600 gearbox then we will go ahead with the alfa.

Return to “The Cars”