New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

I'm not sure about lighter flywheels, but I drove my mates drag/street car the other day, with a Billet shatter proof flywheel (very heavy unit) and a brass button clutch, and it felt totally different to a engine (i have the standard variant in my ride) The take-offs were easier with a heavy flywheel, but anyone who has tried driving a brass button clutch for daily duties knows how unstreetable they are. So is it true that a lighter flywheel will make the car feel different in relation to clutch pedal feel etc? Or is it more dependant on the clutch plate itself? I don't know a great deal about this stuff, I'm a 4 x 4 mechanic and most offroaders are after heavier gear.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

I'm starting to save up for one of the cars I really want, I have narrowed it down to 2.

Nissan Skyline R33 - $18, 500
or
1995 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III - Not sure of the price of this, or where I'm going to get one from, but it will be worth the hunt.

I'd like advice on which one I should get.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Depends entirely on which R33 youre after.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

^^ Exactly
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

At AUD18.5K, that's gonna be a GTS-t model. GTRs are double that and more and the non-turbos are quite a bit cheaper.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

The R33 is a GTS-T I figured go for the cheaper one, and then in time replace alot of it.
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

There are heaps of GTS-T's getting around SE Queensland at the moment, so picking one up shouldn't be a worry. The lancer might be a bit harder to track down, and i'd say they'd be a little bit higher in price?
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

I'd price the Lancer around $30, 000. Seeing as it would be easier to get if it was an ex-rally car.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Evo IIIs here fetch around £6k, and thats if theyre in good condition. That said, R33 GTRs fetch around £12k here too.

If its between the option of an Evo III and a GTS-T, my money would be on the Evo. Theyre AWD (meaning consistent launches, generally better grip), much quicker in standard guise than the R33, and the 4G63 has huge potential. The GTS-Ts are only just really starting to take off after being eclipsed by their bigger brother, the GTR for so long.
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

Well I guess I could search around a bit, go into Melbourne, they may have something there.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

Stig if your EP has a K20 then you can use the Hondata K-Pro and it is better than the S200
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

All EP3s use the K20. That said, the K-pro really is better suited to the DC5 'Teg, but it would work just as well as an S200 (which in turn was originally designed for B and H series engines) ;)
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

just go to http://www.hondata.com they havelots of things to choose from
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The Hondata ECU upgrade sounds nice, just love the fact that you can get Windows software with them and program them 8)

Have to see if they sell them somewhere over here, but it looks like they don't sell it over here, maybe a hop over the pond :D

What I am going to buy soon is a SatNav and improved audio system.
It doesn't make my car faster but it will let me do faster trips :lol:
It will most likely be a full Alpine system. I used a Alpine Amp and speakers in my previous car and I loved it.

The set will be:
- Navigation computer
- 7"Monitor eighter in a headunit or a seperate one depending on what is possible
- Amplifier
- replace the original main speakers in the front
- Add 2 speakers in the trunkcover (or what ever it's called :P) but they will be placed in a way you can't really see them from outside (piece of cloth will be placed over them, did it also with my prev set and it looks clean and still sounds great. and no one knows you got them unless you open the trunk.

I don't know the exact parts cause I don't know what is possible and what not cause not everything fits together.

I will also fit some alloy pedals most likely sparco's cause I think the standard black ones are not really sporty..
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Alpine has a few DVD headunits with a fold out LCD Touchscreen that are really trick, and the best part about them is, that the headunits can communicate with all the new PDX amps etc. As for fitting speakers in the trunk cover, I'm assuming you mean the parcel shelf? Just remember if you are doing the install yourself not to cut ANY (if there is any) underneath or you will void your insurance. Good luck with the install mate, post some progress pics as you go along :lol:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yep Alpine is good stuff, you should be happy with that.

Also, I'd recommend getting a small sub instead of rear speakers, unless you intend to carry passengers frequently.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

If you can stretch to it, have a look at Blaupunkt gear. I used to have it in the S2 and it was phenominal.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Well I'm not getting a sub that is for sure, as I am not the only one who uses it my GF also uses the car, and I don't want anything bigger then the amp in the trunk, simply because I often lower the seats to get a bigger trunk to fit my bike(s), and with that.. I don't really like subs, I had one for my PC audio and I didn't like it at all. :lol:

It could take a while before I figure out what exactly I will put in but in, it all depends on what fits and not.

But will let you know what happens next :wink:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ok if you're not getting a sub, then you should spend more money on the front speakers, rather than getting rears.

2 excellent speakers are better than 4 average ones :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Got to agree with you there :wink:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Remember, bass travels more, which is why theyre always located in the rear, with tweeters etc in the front. IMO, some 6x9s on the parcel shelf, and some 13cm speakers in the door cards would suit you fine. They do for me anyway. :D
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Yeah thats all i've ever had, If you can seal a set of 6 x 9's in the rear, in air-tight boxes, and run them with an amp (200w is usually enough) they will generate enough clear bass to fit perfectly, and still be more responsive than a sub. Alpine gear has come down considerably and you can get a set of Type X speakers on a fairly modest budget these days.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I still say that a small sub is better than 6x9s. A 6x9 is a compromise between a speaker and a sub, and will never be as good as seperate components.

They're great if you don't want to spend much, but a waste of money if you can afford to do it properly.
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Depends on the setup too. If you are still after boot space (as The Stig stated) then boxed 6 x 9's are a great way to go. Digital Design and Kicker both do 6 x 9 component speakers which work great. Either that, or go to Pioneer that doa slimline 10" sub that will fit under a seat (designed to go behind seats in trucks etc) The best approach would be to go and have a chat with your local install shop, tell them what you are after, what budget and what style of music you mostly listen too, and they will defniately know what you need. Most shops will even tune the system for nothing if you've done the install. One word of advice for anyone installing audio. DONT SCIMP ON SOUND DEADENING
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

How does this car sound?

White Nissan 180SX, 5sp, SR20 for $14k.

Return to “The Cars”