Post by LancerEvoFan0504 »

Are they street legal?
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Re: What car do you drive ?

Post by jacoja06 »

Bogan... this question is mainly for you, but anyone else can chip-in. :P

Do you think it’s a stupid idea to look at buying a Manual Toyota Sera? The main thing I’m worried about is insurance. I’ve had a search around the net, but couldn't really find anything. I know it’s a rare import from Japan, but it mechanically shares a lot of components with the Starlet.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well, it's definitely not a sensible car to buy. Sera's are getting kinda rare and collectible, so it's basically a question of "how badly do you want it?"

Mechanical parts should be easy enough to find but body parts are a problem. As for insurance, it might be a good idea to wait until you're 25. You can still buy the car now, just keep it locked up for a while and work on it (if it needs it).

But yeah, when it comes to collectible cars you need to decide for yourself. Just weigh up all the costs and potential headaches, and see if it's worth it.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

hmmm a manual... didn't know they made those.
Only seen Automatics before.

Last summer I seen one in real life. funny little things :)

Why would it be expensive insurance wise? it's not like it's a fast car or anything, futuristic? yes, fast? no. funny? YES
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

jacoja06 wrote:Bogan... this question is mainly for you, but anyone else can chip-in. :P

Do you think it’s a stupid idea to look at buying a Manual Toyota Sera? The main thing I’m worried about is insurance. I’ve had a search around the net, but couldn't really find anything. I know it’s a rare import from Japan, but it mechanically shares a lot of components with the Starlet.
They're the little things with the gullwing doors right?

What's so special about them that would raise the insurance? It's only got a 1.5L 4-cylinder...
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Thanks for the reply, Bogan. You’ve got me thinking.
TheStig wrote:hmmm a manual... didn't know they made those.
Only seen Automatics before.

Last summer I seen one in real life. funny little things :)

Why would it be expensive insurance wise? it's not like it's a fast car or anything, futuristic? yes, fast? no. funny? YES
The number of manuals Seras are small, but there are a few kicking around. I’ve only found 1 Manual Sera for sale in Australia at the moment, and about 10 Autos.

I reckon they would be pretty expensive to insure, because of their rarity. Like Bogan said, body parts would be a problem. But yeah, it’s a Starlet underneath… and they are cheap as chips to insure and maintain. It's got me puzzled.

I completely forgot about the Sera until a couple of weeks ago, and now I can’t stop thinking about them. The idea of driving a funny concept car from the early 90's is just awesome. :P
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Maybe you can swap in a 1.3 Turbo from a Glanza V, since its a Starlet underneath and it could be a very nippy car :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

A 4A or 3S would also fit quite easily ;)
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

^ That's what I was thinking. I think It'll be quite an awesome idea.

BUT over the last few days, I've been thinking of a plan. If I sell my 7th gen Celica ( :cry: ), I can then afford to purchase a good Manual Sera and finally do the engine replacement on my 4th gen Celica. I can then make my st162 the fun car by fitting a 3SGTE engine, and modifying a few other parts. The Camry can continue to do all the workhorse stuff. :)
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Good and sad to hear mate,

Think it's a hard decision... but with 1 thing you can get 2 things running, a 3S-GTE T16 is always nice, and a Sera is a fun little car.

I recently bought a second 7th Gen (together with a mate), in silver, it had a damaged 2ZZ engine, and the took out the damaged engine, and we will replace it with the engine that my mate has in his T23, the car originally came with a 1ZZ-FE but the previous owner replaced it with the 2ZZ-GE unit, but seriously damaged it by downshifting it instead if a upshift, so the engine then did some insame revs, all intake valves where bent and had some internal damage aswell.

The 2ZZ will get a complete overhaul, including all kinds small goodies, and then be placed in my mates car.
And when all is done the car will be sold again. hopefully the car will be on sale at the end of Januari.

My friend has to wait a while for his 2ZZ to be running again, since the engine gets a complete overhaul it gets new higher compression Wiseco pistons, balanced crankshaft, Fidanza flywheel, the block will get darton sleeves, MWR lightweight altinator and waterpump pulleys, TRD exhaust manifold, blitz Intake and more parts are on the way, so yeah he got enough work for now :p

pics of how the car was:

And how it's now....The left one :P :
And the engine:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I may be jumping on the Celica bandwagon soon too. ST185R GT-Four's looking pretty tasty as a replacement for the R31...
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Lol, That’s very awesome to have a spare donor car lying around. Congrats on the purchase. Are you taking any parts from it?

Sounds like a very costly mistake to get a gear change wrong. I’ve done that once or twice by mistake, but he must have kept it revving high for... a few seconds.
Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I may be jumping on the Celica bandwagon soon too. ST185R GT-Four's looking pretty tasty as a replacement for the R31...
Yes, do! They're awesome cars.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

At the moment it's between that, a Prelude VTi-R or a Subaru Liberty. Fair bit of difference between them all I will admit but they're the three I like the most.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Indeed 3 completely different cars, but no doubt all got their pro's.

The ST185 can be a very fast car, in stock form they are heavy and don't have a big amount of power, but do have potential, the 3S-GTE is a good engine with plenty of mods for it.

About the Celicas gear change, well he was at the rev limiter so the change was well, deadly from the moment he released the clutch, no going back once it was released, the owner told us the engine simply screamed, and after that just lost all power, and limped home.

The car will be sold completely stock, that includes rims, no spoiler etc.
The spoiler is already on my mates car, the rims are sold and replaced by stock rims (ZR rims for the aussies) the front lip and side skirts are sold and replaced by stock ones, same goes for the 03+ rear light.
Only mods on the car left are the TEIN coilovers and they are going on my car, we already got a set of stock suspensions (bought the front set, and already had the rear set around.

Coilovers will be switched when we are going to place the engine. once that all is done, the car will be sold again.

Our Previous project car is no more, we completely stripped it and the bare body/frame is now waiting to be picked up to be recycled. here is the last pic of it.... filled with other junk:
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Poor Celica. :(

STIG... you savage murderer!

Speaking of Celicas, I just put a deposit on another 4th gen Celica in Brisbane. It is another ST162... BUT it has a GT-Four engine with 140,000kms on the clock, and comes with a bunch of spares including a separate ST185 engine, wheels, a 4th gen GT-Four front bumper and a few other useless parts. I'm going to pick it up next month, drive it to Sydney, then hitch a train ride back to Perth.

It will be a spare parts car for my other 4th gen. :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

lol, I would never go interstate to buy a car. Way too much hassle.

Sounds like you will have a fun project on your hands though. Need pics!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Holy Sh*t, that is one long way to get a car, I thought that going 250 miles was a long way to get a car.
But the 4th gen is getting rare, and especially if it's in a good condition or has loads of spares.

It was a shame that we had to take the Celica apart but the damage on the right front was just to much, it could have been fixed but no garantee that it would be perfectly straight, and it would cost a lot do to, we bought it as a totalled car, so to get it roadworthy again meant it had to undergo several checks and would get a damaged tittle, and that does lower the value, that combined with the possiblilty that we would not get it perfect and most likely would not get any money out of it.

The car was hit by a big farm vehicle and was hit full on top of the right wheel, so instead of a normal side inpact it was more from above (big wheel hit it)

The silver one is sold, back to stock and now driving around on the other side of the country with a happy new owner.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

What's with Aussies and Celicas? :-s I thought you guys were only supposed to drive utes.

I may as well talk about my car, while I'm here:
Other than all the dings, dents and scratches that I've already gone over, but haven't bothered/had the money to fix, yet (left fender/front bumper crunched while parked and nice long gash in the right side door and quarter panel from a run-in with a work truck), and minor interior cosmetic issues including torn leather on the passenger seat, I found out, the other day, while having the alignment checked, that all four rims are bent. I was expecting one rim to be bent, after having an unfortunate encounter with a fairly sizable rock, wouldn't have been surprised to hear that one other rim had been but, but am not sure how all four could have gotten firetrucked up.

So that's fun. :(
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well, at least it's only an MX5. They are dime-a-dozen anyway.

...please don't ever buy an MR2 :o
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:..blabla.. dings, dents and scratches.. blablabla.. crunched.. blabla.. nice long gash.. wahwah.. cosmetic issues.. torn.. bladeblabla.. bent.. bent (ed: again).. blablablablabla.. firetrucked up.
Dude, why are you so careless with your shiznit? Ease up.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

My thoughts exactly, If I see it right it's a pretty young car, last gen Miata, how in the name did you manage to damage it so much, I know you said that at some point someone made a big dent in your car, or you might be the unluckiest driver around, or you're pretty careless.

My car is a 03 model, it's not perfect I have it now almost 2 years, it got a few tiny dents from other people that can't watch out while getting out of their car (slamming their door against mine (parking spots in Europe are in general pretty small compared to say the US, but still.... ) and stone chips on the front from driving the car.
This year the car will get a new front respray because there is a paint flaw in the front bumper (paint is cracked all over the front bumper, it most likely got a respray with the precious owner but the painter got the wrong mix of paint and hardener, and on warm days the paint is going to crack because the hardener is acting up again)
When I brought the car to the painter to get an estimate on how much a front respray will cost (will get a new bumper and lip just to be safe) he said that the overall condition of the car (bodywise) was really good.

I do get the feeling that people are getting more careless about their cars, and mostly family carriers, if I can avoid parking next to one I will park somewhere far away from them, because most parents just don't car that their kids damage someone else's car, nor do they care that they damage their own because he it's a lease so I'll get a now workhorse in a year again.
I rather park my car alone on the other side of the parking lot and walk then park it where it's busy.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

The fender/bumper was from a car backing into mine in a parking lot (http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 25#p370528), the bent rim was from hitting a big-ass rock that I didn't see until it was too late, but the gash in door and quarter panel is, admittedly, 100% my fault, as is the torn seat; I had the left the top down when I parked, once, and it ended up raining, later. I honestly cannot think of how all four rims got bent, though. :?

Edit:
I guess 'gash' is a bit of an over-statement. I hardly ever see it, since it's on the right side of the car, and I always imagine it being worse than it really is.
Attachments
IMG_20110310_091222.jpg
(69 KiB) Downloaded 7438 times
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Excuses and their validity aside, you still really need to take more care man. Next time might not be so minor.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Believe me - I know I do. I've been telling myself that for a while, now. I wasn't trying to give excuses as to why I don't need to be any more careful with my car, I was just saying some of the things that are wrong with it couldn't be helped.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Just bought a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S (navy blue)!! :)

Return to “The Cars”