Post by viper16 »

what about a RS4 or M3?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: What car do you drive ?

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:what about a RS4 or M3?
Already had an E36 and an E46, can't justify spending £25k on an E90.
RS4 maybe, considered one a while ago, but I've got an A4 now and want something a bit different.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

True too many chav's in A4's these days ;)
Could always go Aussie and grab the Vauxhall VXR8 Estate. Lots of fun, cheap and relatively light on fuel considering its a charged V8 :)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:True too many chav's in A4's these days ;)
Could always go Aussie and grab the Vauxhall VXR8 Estate. Lots of fun, cheap and relatively light on fuel considering its a charged V8 :)
I drove VXR8 last year and didn't get on with it at all. Can appreciate the appeal but it's just not for me. Just too lazy and crude, I like my V8's naturally aspirated and revving to 8400rpm. Same reason I don't get on with big yank busses. Sure, you can drive them very fast, and in everyday situations they're just as fast as German cars. But it's that area in between- when your pressing on, but not going flat out, that they fall down in- where an M3 or Porsche 911 will be engaging, communicative and wonderfully good fun, a Yank/Auz V8 tends to feel sloppy and unresponsive.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Couldn't agree more :D
Though it was a valid alternative. Guess that leaves the M3 Touring if you can find one (said to be rarer than hens teeth).

Other than that I'm out of ideas as the RS4/6, M3/5 Touring and C/E63 AMG Mercs are about the only truly fun dog scarer's. Below that things start getting cheap and plasticky fast, and even in some really bad scenario's they go French...
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Kaerar wrote:True too many chav's in A4's these days ;)
I drove VXR8 last year and didn't get on with it at all. Can appreciate the appeal but it's just not for me. Just too lazy and crude, I like my V8's naturally aspirated and revving to 8400rpm. Same reason I don't get on with big yank busses. Sure, you can drive them very fast, and in everyday situations they're just as fast as German cars. But it's that area in between- when your pressing on, but not going flat out, that they fall down in- where an M3 or Porsche 911 will be engaging, communicative and wonderfully good fun, a Yank/Auz V8 tends to feel sloppy and unresponsive.
I think thats because our v8's are only meant for flat out driving.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

No, it's cos they are built by lazy gits who have no idea about cars. There is no reason they cannot emulate the V8 in the current M3 or the V10 in the RS6. Its just they are stuck in the same old position of not changing anything. Holden are crap. Ford are crap. Nearly every major USA car company is crap. There is a reason they aren't the innovators in cars. Its because they are too worried about selling the most cars to the middle of the road boring people who are completely unaware of what car control and safety really is.

The current Holden range proves they missed the point perfectly. The commodore is common as muck. Over priced and built to last 5 years. The Ford Falcon is exactly the same except the current gen one has worse handling than the Holden cos Holden (after 20 years of using the rejected Opel Omega platform) copied the last gen BMW chassis. Problem is they still stuck a stupid motor in it that is anything but useful for normal travel and great for doing burnouts (and little else) and therefore playing up to the lowest common denominator, the bogun (sorry boganbusman!). These reprobates are found doing burnouts anywhere they can, sticking toonz and phat subz in their cars and emulating a poor kiwi accent.

I don't like them to put it bluntly. However there are as always a couple of exceptions to the rules. One of them is the Commodore estate, which is oddly well balanced and has really smooth and clean lines. Hence I mentioned it. But it's never used like a Maloo or HSV R8 as the bogun's don't buy them ;)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

+1 for the above, Holdens/Fords are rubbish. And that sentiment extends to the entire GM and Ford global conglomerate.
I'm glad that I work in a heavily Asian-populated area where most of the cars that come in are Japanese.

But even good companies like Toyota are starting cheap out and go backwards in their design and manufacturing quality. Everything that came out after the E120 Corollas and XV30 Camrys (hands-down best commuter cars ever made) is just a little bit crap. I can't see them them rectifying this either, it's just the way people want their cars these days.
Kaerar wrote:But it's never used like a Maloo or HSV R8 as the bogun's don't buy them
Give a it a few years mate. There are plenty of bogans getting around in VN/VP wagons, it won't take long until they migrate into VE wagons (and then proceed to fit Interceptors and 15" subwoofers and cut the rear springs).
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:Couldn't agree more :D
Though it was a valid alternative. Guess that leaves the M3 Touring if you can find one (said to be rarer than hens teeth).

Other than that I'm out of ideas as the RS4/6, M3/5 Touring and C/E63 AMG Mercs are about the only truly fun dog scarer's. Below that things start getting cheap and plasticky fast, and even in some really bad scenario's they go French...
No such thing as an M3 Touring, unless you count the Falken Tyres drift car...
Probably going to be an E39 M5 saloon.
viper16 wrote:I think thats because our v8's are only meant for flat out driving.
You are the most astonishing and perplexing combination of ill-informed, idiotic and downright absurd that's ever been able to bash their fists on a keyboard to form words. Please go back to your corner.

If a V8 was designed for flat-out driving, it would be light, high-revving and low on torque. It would scream like a Le Mans racer and get about 8mpg when you even consider going near the loud pedal. I want it to pop and bang on tickover, suck squirrels into it's multiple throttle bodies and make the whole car feel alive and energetic. It must howl, wail and roar in equal measures, make small children wet themselves and be so sonorous that I burst into tears of laughter every time I pass 30mph.

I cannot think of a single US V8 that does any of these things- not one. America is the land of low-power, lots-of-torque, million-miles-in-a-straight-line, 15mpg-regardless-of-how-fast-I'm-going huge V8's and if I'm honest I'd rather drive a 1.2 Clio hatchback. Even the fastest US cars, like the Viper and ZR-1, are lazy and sluggish. So what if they're faster than an M3? The only time your going to feel like your really driving a properly, PROPERLY fast car is when you chuck one into a corner at 3000rpm, or hammer one coming out of a tight bend, and realise that your doing eleventy thousand miles an hour and all that mountain of torque is good for is breaking traction and spearing you off into a hedge.

As a cultured, intelligent and rational human being who enjoys hurling cars around circuits at absurd speeds, hammering my bike past everyone else and generally behaving like a bit of a lout (all within the speed limit on the road, officaaar!). So what I, and most other people of a similar motoring mentality to me, want from an exciting, involving sports car, is lots of revs, a slightly mad, low displacement, high power, relatively low torque, light, front or mid mounted, rear or four wheel drive vehicle. In short, we want a race car for the road. In my eyes, anything modern that's powered by a yank V8 is closer to a tractor. Or a bus. If I want a sports car, I won't by a bus.

In short, go away.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Cool story bro.

Moving on.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

steelsnake00 wrote:No such thing as an M3 Touring, unless you count the Falken Tyres drift car...
Oh I thought there was one in the E36 days! Bugger I'm slipping.

Totally agree on the lazy V8 stuff too. They are so boring to try to have fun in. It's like dial-up when you could have 100MB broadband for half the price...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:
steelsnake00 wrote:No such thing as an M3 Touring, unless you count the Falken Tyres drift car...
Oh I thought there was one in the E36 days! Bugger I'm slipping.

Totally agree on the lazy V8 stuff too. They are so boring to try to have fun in. It's like dial-up when you could have 100MB broadband for half the price...
Annoyingly, a mate of me has just picked up an E36 estate with a full M3 running gear transplant. He's thinking of stripping it and turning it into a track car- the theory being that the extra weight over the rear tyres and the additional rigidity of a bigger body should mean it will require less in the way of caging and probably be a bit stiffer.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Yes you may love them but I very much doubt you drive them ;)

@steel - Ask to buy it from him. There are a few about but rarely on the market. Or you could just do an E92 transplant into an E90...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:Yes you may love them but I very much doubt you drive them ;)

@steel - Ask to buy it from him. There are a few about but rarely on the market. Or you could just do an E92 transplant into an E90...
Built M5 S62 into an E90. Or blown S54B32 into a E46, with 318i badges.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

I'll take the E90 with a V10 thankyou please :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:I'll take the E90 with a V10 thankyou please :D
There you are. Hartge H50.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

No you know that's just getting me started, now I want to have a serious M3 :p
jjayokocha
Stock
Stock

Post by jjayokocha »

Currently down to 2 cars at the moment, have a 400hp R33 Skyline GTS Turbo & 200hp Starlet GT Turbo.

steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Nice pair- though shame about the wheels on the R33, they really don't suit it well IMHO.
Specs on the pair?
jjayokocha
Stock
Stock

Post by jjayokocha »

Wasnt fussed on the wheels either myself but mate that works in Japan for Trial said they are Trial Tri Force Zelda alloys so decided to keep them.

Skyline:
Spec 1 RB25DET 107,000kms
Full HKS exhaust system
HKS fmic
HKS mushroom filter with cold air feed from the bumper
HKS Evc iv boost controller set low @0.85 Bar, high 1bar
Hybrid Turbo
550cc Injectors
Z32 AFM
Reprogrammed ECU
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Exedy uprated clutch
GReddy Heat Range 8 Iiridium spark plugs
HKS coilovers
Tomei brake stopper
Blitz bov
4 GReddy gauges, oil temp, oil psi, water temp & boost.
Relocated Oil Filter
17" Trial Tri Force Zelda Alloys

Starlet GT:
HKS FMIC
HKS Full Exhaust System
Reloacted air filter to front bumper
HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator
GReddy E-01 Boost Controller Set Low 0.80bar & High 1 Bar
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Magnecor Blue Ignition Leads
Ported Manifold
Gutted Cat
14"Nismo Alloys with Yokohama A539 Tyres
Tanabe Coilovers
HKS Adjustable Actuator
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

A well set-up and tweaked pair. Did you do the work yourself, or buy them like that?
It's when I've had a hellish, cold ride home through fog on cut slicks on the bike and sit down to see cars like that R33 that I really, really miss my old motors. A diesel A4 estate just doesn't cut the mustard compared to some of my previous car history :(
jjayokocha
Stock
Stock

Post by jjayokocha »

Skyline came like that but previous owner hadnt a clue what he was at, he had boost pipes running all over the place and no boost solenoid to control it so engine was deciding itself wat boost it wanted to run.

Starlet came to me bog standard so i have done all the work myself, recently built 2 engines for mates glanzas running TD04 turbos from the Impreza so they are now around the 250hp mark. So now their cars are finished I'm gna start on my own Starlet.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

daryematera wrote:I Like so many cars. but my favorite is the Chrysler Sebring Convertible. and usually drives a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. We also have a 2008 Nissan Titan 1.2, then DH race car, 2005 Dodge Neon ... your baby ... who built this thing a few boxes.
??? #-o

Oh and by DH race car, what do you mean? Hillclimber?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

No, I think he means this:

Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees