High Performance Rental Car (Shelby Mustang GT-H)

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

LOL do they really have 80 octane fuel in the US.. that is just useless.
Normal fuel here is 95 and and slightly more powerfull fuel is 98 octane. if I am not mistaken in Austria (not australia :wink: ) they sell 100 octane aswell.

I wouldn't be suprised if they even sell leaded fuel in the US :lol:

A mustang is cheap in the US, and it is basicly the only place they officially sell it (Canada also I asume)
But If you want to import one to Europe it simply costs ALOT

a imported Mustang V6 GT will set you back over € 50.000.
I find that to be ALOT!
The V8 version isn't even mentioned on the Import sites I visited... most likely because hardly anyone would want to spend so much for a car like that.

For the same price you can get a Mercedes SL500 (used that is from around 2002)
or a 02 BMW M5...

Almost all cars from US carbuilders that are not sold here are EXTREMELY expensive.

But then I still don't know WHY in earth you want to import cars like that.
For the price you pay here what do you get....
a plastic interior from recycled wheelie bins, a horrible fuel economy and they run on fuel you can't even get here.

BUT what I don't get is why you are all saying that "modern" stuff like VVT and other stuff like that is to expensive, if it is to expensive why do ALL Asien cars have it even the super small cars like the Toyota AYGO?? and they are like 9.000 euro new.
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

steelsnake00 wrote:I do know about the Automotive Heirarchy, but emissions and economy? Its only managing about 20mpg as it is anyway, and the resultant emissions are enormous. Maybe if Ford moved away from the principle of huge, low-tech N/A V8's in performance cars and tried to refine the engines a little more, then their cars would be more enjoyable and engagind to drive.
As I said, Ford has tried to move away from that, and both times, it didn't work. Maybe they could try again, but since Ford's having no problem selling every Mustang they build, I don't see it happening any time soon.

And I don't think anywhere in America sells 80 octane gas. I believe the lowest it goes, much like in Canada, is 87 octane (most stations tend to carry 87, 89, and 91). I've only filled up in the States once, so I can't say for certain. However, it's noteworthy that our octane ratings are different from the rest of the world (it's all explained in this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating).
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

87 octane? As I've mentioned before, my car runs on nothing but 98-RON plus, anything else and the ECU switches the engine into "get me home" mode.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I did say 80-something, not 80 . . .
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

the story might be interesting, but I coudn't be bothered to read the whole story :lol:
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

All you need to know is that our 87 is like your 91, and more importantly, that every Mustang will run on the cheapest, dirtiest 87 you can find.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

can it also run on diesel, cause that would make it a Ideal engine...just trow everything you got in it and it will run :lol:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I vote for a thread title change.
"High Performance Rental Car"
to
"Mediocre Performance Rental Car"
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

Everything's relative man, for a rental car, this thing's amazing.

And just for the record, in North America, the Europeans don't have a single thing that can touch it for the price. It's about half the price of an M3, and yet it doesn't lag very far behind in performance (at least not in ways that can be numerically classified). It takes a noticably longer time to stop, and it probably doesn't handle as well (although the skidpad ratings are both about 0.87g). That's about it. Even the fuel economy is about the same (who's inefficient now?). So, ultimately, what's the difference if Ford decided to use a bit of extra displacement and more cylinders, rather than techno-gadgetry that makes you have a changing redline?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Point taken. However, the skidpad rating is more about the chassis than the car; Mustang suspention is like a waterbed comared to M3 suspention, and though I have no doubt the M3 would be able to attain more lateral G on a skidpad when messured from the wheels, the body roll and more flexable chassis of a Mustang would give equivilent G's in the driver's seat.
In the UK, it costs about £32k to import and tax the V8 'tang, whereas for that kind of money, you would be looking at a 2002 M5, 2001 Audi RS6 Quattro or 02 Merc E55AMG
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

LOL @steelsnake00

There are a few reasons why European cars are expensive in the US an CA, 1 is that they cost alot to import, and the main thing.
European car companies don't build their cars from the cheapest plastic they could find.

It will cut the price but also ruins a potentially good car.
And like I said Price is relative, for you a european car is expensive, for us a US import is expensive
:wink:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

TheStig wrote: And like I said Price is relative, for you a european car is expensive, for us a US import is expensive
If you don't wanna fork out alot for a car, then buy second hand =\ You can get 2 E36 M3 EVO's for that much, or a 2nd hand E46 M3 in good nick.
I just dont understand why anyone who wasn't absolutely loaded would wanna buy new?=\
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

I think we more get gouged on the little badge up front, as opposed to the importing.

Still, I stand by my ultimate point; you may not like the Mustang, and that's fine. There's just no point in going around slagging it, given that it does what it was meant to do rather well.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Go fast in a straight line? Oh boy... :roll: I'd rather have the ability to take a turn at a descent speed than got a bit faster any day.
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

Hey, I like going around corners quickly. I just have to fine one first.
l_racer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by l_racer »

I know import are cool and I also like European cars like BMW's M cars, but good ol' american muscle cars also have good points. Think about it: the deep and rumbling sound of the exhaust going through the dual exhaust, the imminent torque coming from the big cubic-inch V8 making the rear wheels spin as soon as you press the loud pedal, the rubber burning, the imposing look of the car itself...You can't find a car like those anywhere in the world except in America... So next time you see a Mustang, a Charger, a Magnum, an Impala SS or a Monte Carlo SS, just listen to the sound going through your whole body, and you'll be convinced...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

...Right... Sure, your car sounding nice is a definate plus, same with speed, but if that's all your car does I don't want to hear about it.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:...Right... Sure, your car sounding nice is a definate plus, same with speed, but if that's all your car does I don't want to hear about it.
It's all about the feeling the car gives you.

And at that, the Mustang excels. The End.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Ok, well, I guess I should rephrase what I said, because I actually do like the Mustang, and in my opinion it's the only thing Ford ever did right. But even so, if it's not a V8, it shouldn't exist. Also, I like going fast as much as the next guy, but as I have said soooo many times before, that's not ALL I want to do.
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

Well, lemme put it this way, the Mustang is to going around corners as the Miata is to going fast in a straight line. Over the years, they've made it much better, but it's still not outstanding.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

It took me a while to find the top speed of the '06 Miata (Standard Model), which happened to be 131mph/211kph, but the first link I clicked for the tops speed of the '06 Mustang GT told me it's top speed, which is 143mph/230kph. :lol: So, the Mustang is only 12mph faster than the Miata.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

but what probably differs the most is the time it takes both cars to reach their top speed.

ooh Hecubus found a corner yet :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

l_racer wrote:I know import are cool and I also like European cars like BMW's M cars, but good ol' american muscle cars also have good points. Think about it: the deep and rumbling sound of the exhaust going through the dual exhaust, the imminent torque coming from the big cubic-inch V8 making the rear wheels spin as soon as you press the loud pedal, the rubber burning, the imposing look of the car itself...You can't find a car like those anywhere in the world except in America... So next time you see a Mustang, a Charger, a Magnum, an Impala SS or a Monte Carlo SS, just listen to the sound going through your whole body, and you'll be convinced...
Sorry, it doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer not to feel like I'm being involutarily attacked with a vibrator.
Each to their own I guess.
Are you saying only Americans can build imposing cars? Because thats utter crap. Only Americans can build imposing cars which don't match up to expectations. The S-class is more imposing than a Mustang, as is the M5, Alpina B7, Audi S8, Audi RS6, SL-series, CLS-series, CL-series, SLR, BMW 8-series...ooh, thats a though
You want a fast, powerful f/r 2-door with a loud, rumbly engine, imposing looks and low price tag? Buy an 850CSi! 5.0 V12, 400-odd horses, and you can pick one up for £8000. And it goes round corners, and isn't entirely built out of cheap plastic.
What I fail to understand is how the Mustang can survive (outside of the US, anyway)- Many manufactures have been playing around with the idea of a f/r muscle car, and have their cars much more refined, and ultimately rewarding to drive, than a Mustang. The only reason yanks buy them is the low price tag and the "made in America" guarentee- its all patriotism. There are only 2 English cars I'd buy; the TVR T350 and the Noble M400. I could put up with dredful reliability and pick & mix interior, just because they are so rare, and such a joy to drive. It might just be the Europian mentality, but I just don't understand why you'd but a Mustang when you could have more of EVERYTHING buying second hand.
Hecubus
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Hecubus »

I think that's part of it, that to get better, you have to buy second hand. And many people just can't be bothered. With a new car, you're not running the risk of taking on someone else's problem, someone else's abused heap, and you get a warrenty. I'm not advocating it as the best way, but it works for some people (me, I get by driving $100 cars). Plus, as far as livability goes, the Mustang will be cheaper to run than the BMW, with cheaper parts alone.

And for some people, it's just simple vanity. The Mustang is one of the more firmly ingrained icons in the American psyche, it speaks much stronger than any BMW (although, personally, I'd prefer the 8-series).

If nothing else, how many people really care about a "rewarding" driving experience. Remember, the best selling vehicle in the US is the F150, and the best selling car is either the Accord or the Camry (I don't remember which one it is right now). The Mustang easily appeals to the great unwashed masses because it manages to be something special even if it's not the most rewarding car to drive.

You're right though, that most American cars get by on being cheap and American. We kick out a few exceptions (however flawed they may be), but for the most part, what we make are boring commutermobiles (which also describes the average owner and use of the car).
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Hehe when I heard about the best sold vehicle a while ago I was really ROFL...

a F150... I was like WHY??? but then I realised there had to be ALOT of farm land/country side left. cause you would be a moron to drive that in a city... but then yanks do :lol:

ooh I forgot where I live we also got a moron with a big Chevy pickup that makes more noise that a 10 ton Lorry, ooh wait it weights the same as the lorry :lol:

Return to “The Cars”