Grip vs Drift

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
spartan.dk
Professional
Professional

Grip vs Drift

Post by spartan.dk »

I've always had this question to myself, those say grip driving is faster, those say drifting is faster, I personally don't understand how either is faster than the other. But I know for a fact that grip driving is faster than drifting, but I dont understand how. Grip driving saves tires, enters a corner slow, and comes out fast, whereas drifting eats up tires, enters a corner fast, maintains speed whilst sliding through the corner and then regaining the exit speed in a few milliseconds. But I dont understand how grip driving is faster than drifting, since the enter speed is different, drift being faster, the driving speed during the corner is different, drift being faster, and the exit speed transition is different,drift being faster. So technically isn't drifting faster than grip, even though it kills tires?

PS. Don't call me a tokyo drift/initial D fanboy, because I just want to figure this out once and for all.
Kid Cro wrote:Now go Suck on your mom's boobie and stfuktnxbye!!!
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

It really depends on the corner. A hairpin turn, for example, may actually benefit from a drift, as the racing line would require slowing to an almost snail pace to get round. However, a more open curve would benefit more from the racing line.

Most people who say the drift driving is slow dont really know what theyre talking about, and have confused drifting with exhibition drifting. Dont forget, the JGTC drivers have been doing it for years, long before D1 started up.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

stupid question: have anyone got a video about how to drift?? I mean some classes to how to drift??
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

BMI released the 'drift bible' a while ago. Tsuchiya, the host, is widely regarded as the greatest current drifter, so he knows his stuff. Very entertaining stuff.
spartan.dk
Professional
Professional

Post by spartan.dk »

Exhibition drifting is just showing off how much rubber you can burn while sliding, race drifting is actually doing it for speed, not show.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Like Grez said I situations like Hairpins a drift or handbrake corner can be a big advantage over a normal raceline, simply because you slow down less and get your nose in the right direction.
in a FWD car it can really help to use the handbrake cause if you go in to slow in a normal raceline turn on a hairpin and start to accelerate as soon as you are half way you risk going into massive understeer and hit the outside of the corner with all problems attached.

But for most corners drifting isn't the best way.. although in racegames I just love doing it if I have a big enough lead.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I don't entirely agree. For a really tight hairpin, on a really narrow road, a handbrake turn would be the best way to get through quickly, but I don't classify that as drifting.

In most other situations, I think that 'grip drivng' is more effective, as long as you're a good driver.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Dont forget, the JGTC drivers have been doing it for years, long before D1 started up.
When you rapidly apply power on the exit of a corner and swing the tail out (as you might see in racing), I would call that powersliding, not drifting. In my opinion, drifting is when you go into a corner with the full intention of swinging the tail out to try and take the corner faster and/or show off.

The only time I've seen drifting being used effectively in racing is with old muscle cars, where they would drift the car into the corner to wash off speed, because their brakes were so crap.

Or maybe my definition of 'drifting' isn't quite right . . .
spartan.dk
Professional
Professional

Post by spartan.dk »

What Grez means is, having the tail kick back and then rapidly jerk the car to the other direction, since the JGTC cars are prone to oversteer.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

spartan.dk wrote:What Grez means is, having the tail kick back and then rapidly jerk the car to the other direction, since the JGTC cars are prone to oversteer.
That sounds more like making a mistake and overcorrecting.

And all RWD race cars are prone to oversteer :roll:
spartan.dk
Professional
Professional

Post by spartan.dk »

Well, I'm a retard then.
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by master m »

The best way to find out what's the fastest way, is by trying it yourself.
Just do it in a racegame, a good one (Forza, Project Gotham Racing, GT4, ....).

- 1 lap drifting/powersliding in everycorner
- 1 lap driving on the apex of every corner

The 2nd method will be the fastest way. :)
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Well, one clear thing that has come from this, is that it depends upon your definition of drifting. Personally, I classify anything which involves a controlled loss of traction as some form of drifting. Even in exhibition drifting, the handbrake is used, as is power-sliding.
evoaddict225
Stock
Stock

Post by evoaddict225 »

i think that the reason conventional racing is faster in time than drifting but drifting is fast in speeds than conventional racing is because when you drift it says that you are maintaining the same speed but the speedometer doesnt measure how fast a car is moving sideways it measure how fast the tires are moving so you are slowing down a bit but also when you start to go forward you have lost a little bit of time because the tires need to gain grip on the ground because they lost it when you spun the car and since you're turning your car conventionally your tires always keep contact with the ground giving you traction/grip most of the time

but i dont know ive never done either
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

evoaddict225 wrote:a long post with no full stops
Man, that was a mouthful. Use punctuation next time.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Part of what he's saying is right though.

When you drift through a corner, you lose a lot of exit speed because you have bugger all traction. And in the words of Sir Jackie Stewart, the exit of the corner is far more important than the entry :wink:
Assymetrix
Ricer
Ricer
Location: cocpit of a multiration-turbo charged nissan 200sx s14a

Post by Assymetrix »

drift is faster than grip at sharp corners ... coz it is invented for this

i prefer drift coz its the best way to kick someone :D
Firestran
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Firestran »

Driftng isn't always the best option for all corners. A combination of both grip and drift is good. If you are a good driver, when you come to a corner you would know which one would get you through a corner quicker either drift or grip.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Firestran wrote:Driftng isn't always the best option for all corners. A combination of both grip and drift is good. If you are a good driver, when you come to a corner you would know which one would get you through a corner quicker either drift or grip.
Read the second post on the thread. Grez's one. And you will see WHEN drifting and WHEN grip is best. You have to also bear in mind that when you're exiting a corner whilst drifting you have less traction than if you were exiting with full grip.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

i think grip is faster, u can get on the throttle a lot quicker, if you hit it too early when drifting, you'll make a 360...and even if you can control it, your wheels are spinning, which doesnt exactly provide grip....

IMO, drifting is better when you go around a single corner, if you're really in a race, its important to have grip to hit it quicker, so then it would be grip
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
Firestran
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Firestran »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Firestran wrote:Driftng isn't always the best option for all corners. A combination of both grip and drift is good. If you are a good driver, when you come to a corner you would know which one would get you through a corner quicker either drift or grip.
Read the second post on the thread. Grez's one. And you will see WHEN drifting and WHEN grip is best. You have to also bear in mind that when you're exiting a corner whilst drifting you have less traction than if you were exiting with full grip.
As I said it all depends on the corner and just because you have a little less traction that doesn't mean you exit to corner slower, that is the reason it was invented in the first place to exit a corner faster with little loss of speed.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Firestran wrote:As I said it all depends on the corner and just because you have a little less traction that doesn't mean you exit to corner slower, that is the reason it was invented in the first place to exit a corner faster with little loss of speed.
Read all of the posts in this thread again, and think about what you just typed.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Firestran wrote:As I said it all depends on the corner and just because you have a little less traction that doesn't mean you exit to corner slower, that is the reason it was invented in the first place to exit a corner faster with little loss of speed.
Read the posts made, and sit in the corner and think about what you just said! :lol:
Firestran
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Firestran »

ok my bad

Return to “The Cars”