What Phone Do You Have?

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: What Phone Do You Have?

Post by Bojan »

I've seen plenty of Windows mobile phones and none had a UI that would be even half as good as the Iphone's. Windows mobile is for those who are obsessed with specs and Iphone is a toy.
A toy I'm looking into buying too :)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

If I was going to buy a phone I'd wait till the Samsung Omnia HD is released. It no longer uses WMP, instead it uses Symbian Series 60 I think it's called, and it has every single feature under the sun.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8910_o ... ew-317.php
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

The iPhone is a toy. Plenty of phones do more better, like the Samsung Omnia HD. Heck, the sound quality and codec support are better than the iphone's, which is supposed to be a music player with a phone isn't it? However... it has the better apps >_< lol.

It makes sense to get the other, superior phones, but the iPhone is flashier if you're more about fun than practicality and usefulness.

I have a Nokia 6210 Navigator, has a built in GPS, decent 3.2MP camera with flash, can view my PDFs at uni, music player is ok, has microsoft office, great organiser lol. Really handy.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

The iPhone has a built in GPS, decent 2mp camera (Phone cameras are sh*t anyways, I don't use them at all), iPod function built in, great organizer.

It doesn't have PDF viewing (I don't need them) or MS Office (It would be quite handy)
The problem is that it doesn't have a file browser so all your files are completely hidden. It's kind of a drawback.

I was looking at the HTC Tilt before this, but when I got to try the iPhone, I knew it was the phone for me. :P
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Stereo wrote:iPod function
What the hell is that?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

PSZeTa wrote:
What the hell is that?
iPod function means that it's an ipod... that means that it's overpriced and does less than other similarly priced players on the market =-P However, it's shiner and it bounces when you scroll to the top or bottom.
Evil Kid Weaselmush
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Evil Kid Weaselmush »

baumaxx1 wrote:
PSZeTa wrote:
What the hell is that?
iPod function means that it's an ipod... that means that it's overpriced and does less than other similarly priced players on the market =-P However, it's shiner and it bounces when you scroll to the top or bottom.
Oh my goodness.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Hahaha, don't give me that crap. I used to hate iPods myself. :P I know what's out there but I don't feel like carrying two things at once when I can carry one that does it all.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Sony Ericsson Walkman phones ftw.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I second that notion. But I don't like that with a few exceptions most Ericssons only support Sony's Memory Stick, which is both less convenient and more expensive than a Micro SD card...
Stereo wrote:decent 2mp camera (Phone cameras are sh*t anyways, I don't use them at all), iPod function built in, great organizer.
I entirely disagree with the "phone cameras are sh*t" statement. Yes, my G800 (which even says on the box "The Photographer's Choice) has a flawed camera which is supposed to be the centerpiece of the phone, but other Samsungs and LG's Renoir for some examples have cameras that even rival normal cameras built for that purpose alone. The Samsung Innov8 and Omnia HD have 8MP cameras (So does the LG Renoir), and the Omnia HD has high-definition recording and playback. Now try and tell me that the iPhone can do that. And as stated before Sony Ericssons have better playback and I can think of plenty of other phones that support more codecs than the iPhone does. And GPS in a phone is becoming the norm nowadays, as well as Wi-fi.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Megapixels don't mean anything if the lens sucks.

aaand...
Hahaha, don't give me that crap. I used to hate iPods myself. :P I know what's out there but I don't feel like carrying two things at once when I can carry one that does it all.
Yep fair enough... but...
Sony Ericsson Walkman phones ftw.
Lol.

But my Nokia even supports more codecs, has an 8 band equaliser...
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Personally I tried out the Samsung Innov8's camera and it took better pictures than my sister's 8MP Nikon Coolpix L18 camera which for a point-and-shoot already churns out very respectable photos.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Nikon P&S fails... The only good P&S is Canon...
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Couldn't find any Canon's that good for the price paid for the Nikon. In fact where I looked I couldn't find any Canon P&S anywhere near it.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Nikon make great SLRs... have one... but what I've seen their P&S cameras and they suck... Pentax beats em.
TW1ST3R
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
Location: Pigfarts Intergalactic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Mars

Post by TW1ST3R »

Have: Nokia 5310 Xpressmusic

Want: Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Just got a brand new silver Sony Ericsson W760i.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

*Bump*

I can't decide between tthree phones. Considering my G800's pretty old (and a piece of sh*t), I wanna upgrade but there's three phones that both have pretty equal pros and cons. One of which is considerably more expensive but that's no biggie. The first is the Innov8 which, as said above, has an 8MP camera which is pretty damn awesome, but considering that I've got the S1000FD there's no real need for an awesome camera on my phone. It has plenty of other features though, Wi-Fi, GPS, widgets, all the usual stuff.

The second is the HTC Touch HD, which is essentially an iPhone for cheaper money. It's a full 200 bucks more expensive than the cheapest Innov8 on eBay, but why I would love to have this phone, if not for the great looks, is because of that glorious 3.8-inch touchscreen. The main thing that's niggling me about this one though is that fact that it runs on WiMo as most other HTCs do. And while with the HD they've fixed the lag issue, apparently WiMo's littered with bugs, and I've read mixed user reviews on it.

And finally, there's the Samsung Jet, which is famous for the 800MHz processor. It also has a brilliant-looking AMOLED touchscreen, but according to reviews the operating system, like the Touch HD, is a bit hit-'n'-miss. This is never coming to Australia officially either, which on the one hand is good because of exclusivity, but on the other it might be hard to get it fixed within Australia if it does happen to break.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Tbh, if you like the TouchHD, check out the Touch Pro 2. I'm waiting for it, quite patiently... damn Verizon and their tedious late-date phone releasing deeds. I want Alltel back! D:<
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

The TP2's about AU$300 more expensive than the most expensive TouchHD on eBay. Trust me, I'd love to have one too, but that's a really bad factor.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

D=

That's fail, as they're quite similar omitting the keyboard.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

My N73 is still rocking hard and after the last update, no more crashes whatsoever but I'm still looking for a new phone and of course, it has to be an N-series. I was looking at these 3:
- Nokia N78
- Nokia N79
- Nokia N85

I don't know actually which one I'd pick though the amazing OLED screen on the N85 is tempting.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

You really liked the N73, then you most almost be the only one.... :lol:

I don't even have mine any more, sold it for 20 euro or something like that.
Several of my friends had a N73 and all of them stopped using it and either started using their old phones again or got a new one all together, cause even with updates it's still rubbish, sure it doesn't crash like it did before (with minimal effort)
But it was still slow as sh*t.
It had a useless SMS system, and most horrible was the T9 that for some idiotic reason found it logical that every word you added to the dictionary should be the first word you see when you used that number combination, which in 99% of the time was not the case.
Tried a other N series phone... and it was just as slow and useless for what you need to use a phone for most (CALLING PEOPLE and sending a message)

So no more N series for me, I'll stick with normal Nokia's cause they are a lot faster and easier to use, and with less useless crap on them.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah the N97 is much the same. Looks pretty, has plenty of features, but it stumbles on the simple things. Call quality is crap. I have a personal preference towards Samsungs but now both my G800 and my sister's i450 have started to go on the fritz. I barely use the G800 and the battery's gone in less than a day, when before I used to make a few SMS' and it'd last for nearly a week, and the i450 freezes quite frequently, even halfway through a call, requiring the battery to be taken out and put back in to reboot it.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

TheStig wrote:You really liked the N73, then you most almost be the only one.... :lol:
Actually, close enough. Count me in. I liked the N80. ;)

The N80 was my first ever N series. Bought it some time in 2007. Sure, it looks pretty bulky and heck yes, thick. I never really cared about the looks of a phone 'cuz it's the features I care most about. But hey, with a design like that you're likely gonna get a whole gamut of features loaded in the phone. The Wi-Fi was really a nice touch; I didn't know about it until I decided to experiment the phone while I was in the loo. LOL! Not forgetting, the camera was pretty good too despite the missing auto-focus feature. It compliments the high resolution LCD very well. :)

The only downside I had to the phone is the battery. Damn! That phone needs an adapter! I can't last a day with a fully charged battery - and this doesn't include talk time and texting. Add my constant Wi-Fi usage to that, and the N80 barely lasted for 6 hours.

But I personally, for me, the N80 is the best N-series Nokia out there today because of the fact that it was one of the most decently produced smart phones from Nokia in 2006, features wise. :)

Return to “General Discussion”