Quadcore Processors, blasphemy or reality?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Quadcore Processors, blasphemy or reality?

Post by prince1142003 »

AMD has unvelied plans to release their quadcore processors in early 2007. read the article here.

what do you think? do you think AMD is going to be able to live up to this one? dual cores were a fanciful future a couple years ago until AMD released their first. and unfortunately, most of AMDs dualcores can't live up to the Intel D. what do you think about the AMD quadcore? share your thoughts.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

if it works out, it would pwn
but if it doesnt, it will probably be glitchy as hell
i think they should wait... we're not on dual core that long
most people dont even have one yet or even know what it is LOL
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

It is a reality as AMD plans to show-off a quad-core this year, and I for one can't wait to see what the thing can do. Heck, I'm still going to be getting an AM2 socket 4200+ or 3800+ X-2, because the prices have been slaughtered by on average, 46-47%.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3448

Also, AMD has thrown out a quad-core challenge at Intel, knowing Intel they'll be mroe than likely to incline, so let the quad-core battles begin?
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5032/53/
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Quad-core sounds cool, though not many applications really benefit from it. Also current consumer operating systems (winxp home/pro) only support 1 or 2 cpu configurations, so for quad to work a new OS (or linux) will need to be chosen. Don't know if Vista will support more then 2.

Server versions naturally already support more cpus...
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

if current systems only support 2 processors, why have i seen dual socket motherboards that claim to support dual core processors? that's just redundant, isn't it?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

prince1142003 wrote:if current systems only support 2 processors, why have i seen dual socket motherboards that claim to support dual core processors? that's just redundant, isn't it?
The hardware no doubt can support more then two processors, but a "regular" operating system, ie. Windows XP, only supports two. So if you get a quad system, you need to install either Win 2003 Server or Linux (or some other multi cpu OS).
SKYLINE 266
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINE 266 »

the quadcore processor is the new strategy of intel against AMD .. i read it on a magazine .. at the moment AMD has started purchasing the dual core models sice the model 4000+ ... or some like that :roll: ... but i'm sure eabout the quadcore !!
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Actually, both companies have quadcore processors that are expected to hit the market very soon. It's not Intel's strategy against AMD although it may seems so considering Intel is releasing it's batch an entire quarter earlier than AMD. But remember what happened with the Intel Core2 and Conroe chips. Intel took their time, and their Conroe and Core2 chips smoke AMD.
SKYLINE 266
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINE 266 »

yeah .. can be .. :roll:
you can see what happened with the AMD 64 line .. they've release it before intel .. but there's not any program .. ( we still waiting !! ) with 64 bit support only a pair of linux OS and music programs ( not a lot ) ...
but the dual core works really nice .. may be a quad would be better ... :D
I read that the most cheapest intel D-core processor ( P IV D 2.66 Mhz ) has been elevated till 3.8 Mhz .. with amazing results and insigificant voltmod ( by bios !)
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

WinXP has a 2 core limitation. This means 2 processors or 1 dual core processor. Out of the current OS's, only Server 2003 supports more than two processors, so it's going to be the same deal with quadcore processors as there was with 64-bit processors.
SKYLINE 266
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINE 266 »

so .. we got to still using D-core or another amd without 64 bits .. the thing i cant understand is why the AMD 64 line is most used by gamers .. if that processors got to emule the 32 bit structure and that make the performance decrease :? .. i chose the dual core processors is a better idea .. i think so .. we dont have 64 bit games or programs in fact .. why use 64 bit processors .. only because 64 bit sounds powerfull :? :?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

When it's capable of 64 bit processing, it doesn't mean it's slow in 32 bit.

AMD64 was the overall fastest processor before the new Intel ones.
SKYLINE 266
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINE 266 »

PSZeTa wrote:When it's capable of 64 bit processing, it doesn't mean it's slow in 32 bit.

AMD64 was the overall fastest processor before the new Intel ones.
but i meant that the 64 bit amd cpu's , got to emule the 32 bit interface and , may be you cant see the lost power .. but .. you would be wasting power . that would be useful for another thing , i dont'know if you can understand it .. :roll:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Actually, in a 64-bit environment, a 32-bit process just uses 32 of the 64 available bits. I don't think there is any emulation involved.
SKYLINE 266
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SKYLINE 266 »

prince1142003 wrote:Actually, in a 64-bit environment, a 32-bit process just uses 32 of the 64 available bits. I don't think there is any emulation involved.
as you said .. actually :wink: ...
may be i just was talking about the oldies 64 bits processors ! :)
Joel
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Joel »

prince1142003 wrote:if current systems only support 2 processors, why have i seen dual socket motherboards that claim to support dual core processors? that's just redundant, isn't it?
Not really. Ive seen boards with 32 RAM slots. Why? For people like me :lol:

Id buy Quad Core, So I can say "I got Quad Core. ktnxbye." Power freaks lol

Same as Quad SLi or 8GB RAM. No practical home usage; Hell, most games would be stomped by that, But why? Cus we can :D
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Intel's Core 2 Duo Quadro, another slam to AMD processors:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/ ... e_rampage/
There is a fascinating element to this combination of multiple processing cores, a fast architecture and even more performance: The new Core 2 Quadro processors are out to beat the pants off everyone else in the x86 field and to extend Intel's lead over the competition. Check out the summit of the processor elite as we compare the upcoming Core 2 Quadro CPUs with Core 2 Duo/Extreme, Pentium Extreme Edition and the AMD Athlon 64 FX.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

Even if those will be out i doubt any games will support it. Hence sometimes you need to turn down 2nd core to avoid getting some annoying stuff.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”