The twin turbo Corvette to end all tuners.

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

You were serious LOL
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Think about it, if you're going 100MPH, in 0.3 seconds you'd travel 44'.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

0.3 seconds ia a hell of a long time to anyone whos ever raced competitively.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
HashiriyaGDB
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HashiriyaGDB »

Reason for BHP discrepency: 984 BHP is the SAE figure, 1001 BHP is the DIN figure.
"The 86 is a car that trains its driver." - Bunta Fujiwara
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ah thanks for clearing that up Hashiriya :wink:

Also, we don't know how much the car was warmed up before the test, and the track conditions.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Although it's already cleared up,

17 Hp is not enough to make .3 seconds diffirence. cause that would take alot more then just 17hp.
SuperString
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SuperString »

I don't think any human can feel difference between 2.5 and 2.8 0-60 without computer help, just looking at dash board speedometer. In any case, 0-60 is way to test low end acceleration and is in most cases more usefull on streets since 30mph is city limit and 80-100 is highway limit.
In drag races or top end acceleration it doesn't play that much of a role. There are plenty Supras that do 0-60 in little less than 4.5s and still run sub 10s.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

No there arent. MKIV Supra TTs run the 0-60 in 4.9 seconds as standard. To run 10s youre looking at approximately 700bhp, and thats on a very well set up car. Ive seen 1200bhp Supras struggling to break 10s.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

...what are you talking about? I never stated that no Supra can run sub-10s, I said, and I quote:
Ive seen 1200bhp Supras struggling to break 10s
And I have. CRDs Supra is a fine example, as is Envys. After two years of fettling, both cars have now broken into the 9s, with the Envy car being reduced from 1100bhp down to 800bhp in the process. Supras are cars that require a good set-up to be fast, hence why the majority are labelled ''dyno queens''. Theyre also infamously difficult to launch, which explains the ''wanna race from a roll?'' jokes.

As for your first video, how exactly does that prove your original point? Your point was that Supras often do 0-60 in around 4.5 seconds, yet run 10s. With that in mind, ask yourself the above question. The Viper runs a 10.7, and even as standard, will do 60 in 4.3 seconds, despite running the quarter mile in the mid/low 12s. If that Viper has enough power to run 10s, its not doing 60 anywhere near the 4.5 second mark, and neither is the Supra. Your video simply proved that that particular Supra had more top-end power than it did in the lower end of the power-band. In retrospect, the only thing this proves is that the car is likely to be running a large single turbo with less boost response than the supercharged Viper, which is a given.

I didnt watch all your videos, simply b/c I couldnt be bothered. Hopefully in there, youll have Marcos street legal/driven Supra which ran an 8.42 second pass, and Ryan Woons street legal Supra which ran an 8.7 pass.

Edit - About CRDs Supra if you dont believe me. Taken from ''TOTBII review'':
B Dee Ireland Calder Toyota Supra Turbo 10.84s 130mph
Winner of the RWD class at the time, he also posted the quickest top end run at 201.3mph. Taken from here

Taken from here:
The name Dee Ireland will be familiar to anyone who follows drag racing. His exploits on the drag strip with his awesome 1200bhp CRD Toyota Supra are legendary
(For any fans of the R34 GTR in that article, he actually only lives a couple of miles away from me, he usually comes to our local Jap meet. Although, since hes been fettling with it, the car now only produces 700bhp...)
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

HKS Supra 1200HP and the Hennessey Viper with 1500HP would beat your vette
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:HKS Supra 1200HP and the Hennessey Viper with 1500HP would beat your vette
One wonders why, in the case of the Viper, anyone would throw that much money to make a car that powerful, when equal power can be achieved with an off-the shelf kit for a Skyline, Supra or even a BMW M3.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
H. mAIOR
Ricer
Ricer

Post by H. mAIOR »

After lurking these forums for some time, let me ask why would someone put that much juice in a viper if one can't take full advantage of it... it's just as someone mentioned before penis problems... If you can't take the power to the ground why make it?

Cheers...
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

To be a dyno queen. :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:To be a dyno queen. :D
And how!
:D
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

weeee here we go ! XD
it might be a little hard to get all that power to the ground at once with limited slip but once your going then hold on. ive seen more ricers than anything being dyno queens and their pewny engines are good for nothing more than making lots of noise and maybe a souped up lawnmower. :lol:
why put anything over 400 horses into anything when the chances of them getting used are rare. why did they put 400+ horses in a cadillac suv? bragging rights thats why. see here in america there is a horsepower war going on between suvs, pickups, and recently dodge stirred up the pot with its 600 hp viper, next chevy/gm will unveil their corvette ss with the same amount of power and then who knows about the ford gt gut it will just keep going back and forth. so long as gas prices are under $3.00/gal people will spend big bucks on 400+ hp behemoth suvs. so the reasons for the 600 hp viper is first of all it is kinda a symbolic number i guess, and second it adds more fun
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

By the looks of things, you class anything that isn't V8 powered as "rice".
More HP does not mean more fun. My current car has significantly less HP than my old one, but it's still more fun to drive.
The US HP war is replicated across the world, but it's really for people who don't have a clue. Whether you know alot about cars, a big horsepower number or a short 1/4ml time sounds impressive, but as real world cars such high HP vehicles are nigh on useless.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

why put anything over 400 horses into anything when the chances of them getting used are rare.
How so? From over-taking, getting out of harms way, or simply exiting junctions, the main reason I prefer my car over my mums 1.2 Clio to drive is b/c its a hell of a lot safer knowing that, should you need it, youve got a lot of power almost instantly at your disposal. Also for most enthusiasts, there are regular track-days throughout the year. (Before anyone says it, youre right, I dont have 400bhp, but I do have 247bhp/ton, about the same as an Aston Martin Vanquish ;) )

Remember kids, bhp sells cars, torque makes them go faster.
H. mAIOR
Ricer
Ricer

Post by H. mAIOR »

That's right and I didn't say anything about +400hp cars only to those cars with over 1000hp... let's face it the cars you see with that kind of juice were not made for it so it's hard to put the power on the ground.
But, more hp doesn't mean a better car.
If I had the money to put on a car myself, I'd never buy anything over 300 (maybe a mercedes SL65... we all have our kriptonites no??) but that doesn't mean I couldn't drive a fun car... the car I enjoied most to ride was a friends of my dad Alfa GT 2.0JTS... Now at 165hp, the car is fast, light and sticks to the ground... it's fun I'd probably go for a 3.2 V6 tough... That one must be a real blast.

Cheers...
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

H. mAIOR actually the reviews on the alfa's 3.2 v6 are that it is a dog in the brera but it might be different in your example. all i am saying is this horsepower and torque war is going insane. one second somebody comes out with a truck that has 600 lb ft of torque and then the next year somebody else comes out with a truck that has 650 lb ft of torque and then the first truck is seen as obsolete and not capable of performing any tasks when in reality it is completely capable. i think the only time that this migh stop is when transmissions start grenading themselves.
xALFAxGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by xALFAxGT »

Remember kids, bhp sells cars, torque makes them go faster.
Thanks Dad!! :lol:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

darknight788 wrote:H. mAIOR actually the reviews on the alfa's 3.2 v6 are that it is a dog in the brera but it might be different in your example.
That's BS. The critics love the engine, even though it's got a fairly low output for it's size.
nismodriftster95
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
Location: On my Recaro racing seats blowing past the Cornado bridge in San Diego Califorinia!!

Post by nismodriftster95 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car
I dont think the Supra is muscle.
"Slower cars are friends, not food" Finding Nismo ;)
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

It's an opinion.
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Im sure it could also be outrun by an SR-71 blackbird, whats your point? Stock Vs Modified is always the most stupid line of argument.
yes! thank you! every single video i see is of a modified import going at it with a stock muscle or stock exotic. and they cheer like they've accomplished something.

to be honest, you guys worship tuners like they're gods or something. how many times do you find yourself replacing parts? honestly? and can you make a tuner with a factory engine sound like this?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/3925 ... 896e89.htm

Return to “The Cars”