Choose for me a Drift Car =DD

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

boganbusman wrote:The Monday before last (public holiday) me and a mate drove up to Mt. Dandenong to tackle the twisty roads. On one downhill corner I was carrying too much speed and braked far to late, and I was still braking as I turned in. The rear of the car broke loose for a short moment, and it was by far the scariest thing I've ever done in my car.

I've done that so many times in GT4, but when you do it in real life you'll sh*t your pants.
Yup.. It's because you can only rely on your eyes in games. In real life, feeling plays a big part.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

boganbusman wrote: The Monday before last (public holiday) me and a mate drove up to Mt. Dandenong to tackle the twisty roads. On one downhill corner I was carrying too much speed and braked far to late, and I was still braking as I turned in. The rear of the car broke loose for a short moment, and it was by far the scariest thing I've ever done in my car.

I've done that so many times in GT4, but when you do it in real life you'll sh*t your pants.
Theres your problem. Its a force of habit when you start to panic, jam on the brakes to slow things down, I know as Ive done it myself numerous times. Unfortunately youll just keep going straight forwards, especially in a FWD car. Whats worse, if you jam on the brakes particularly hard, the weight transfer can quite easily send you into a spin.

We live and learn, the only remedy is practice Im afraid. Have you bought an AW11 yet? :D
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Nah I didn't jam on the brakes, if I did that I would have understeered into the trees. My only choice was to brake gradually and keep my car right on the edge, and luckily the rear slid instead of the front. That wiped off just enough speed for me to get it back under control.

And still haven't got the AW11 . . . I'm gonna save up and get a decent one. But don't worry, I will get it :)
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

I see that way to much, you see the new driver in there parents car try and light it up aeround a corner into a (sic) power slide, only to have the ass step out, get scared and pull on the anchors in the middle of the intersection. What they don't realise is that power is usually your friend when it comes to getting through a slide like that safely.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

SomeKindOfMonster wrote:I see that way to much, you see the new driver in there parents car try and light it up aeround a corner into a (sic) power slide, only to have the bumbum step out, get scared and pull on the anchors in the middle of the intersection. What they don't realise is that power is usually your friend when it comes to getting through a slide like that safely.
Partially true. Police Advanced Driver training teaches you in a RWD car NOT to brake, but depending on circumstance to either ease off slightly or feather the throttle, correct and ride out any side. That way the weigh ballance still keeps the rear end from getting light and flipping nose-to-tail. The laws of physics say by correcting, unless of course your on a particularly slippy surface where things become a little more complex, that the car will eventually go the way you point the wheel- I.E forwards.
With FWD cars, any easing off is liable to send the back end spinning around but then again the same will result from any sharp change in direction (rear end = light + no power through rear wheels to maintain friction with the road) so it's best to feather the throttle and correct slowly without snapping the wheel around or overcorrecting, which will most likely cause you to spin.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project

Return to “The Cars”