Vista : Yes or No

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Vista : Yes or No

Post by Jmac- »

Andre_online wrote:
Jmac- wrote:First white screen of death I got was doing the following:

Insert Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Disc
Double-Click Install
Click on Restart
After restart, screen came up white and would not proceed any further.

After I finally got it to actually boot into OS X, it then told me to install updates. Installed the updates, clicked on restart, and upon the restart, guess what ? That's right, white screen of death.

It also randomly boots into a blue screen of death as well and occasionally will give me a black screen of death while watching movies. I must be clicking the mouse wrong or pushing the power button wrong or holding the remote wrong or something ...

I can say Vista has been far more stable than Leopard for me. And I don't suppose you've looked on the internet about how many people have been having problems w/ Leopard, have you ? It's basically Apple's Vista as far as bad PR goes ... :shrug: At least MS doesn't edit your posts when you post your problems in their forums because "blue screen of death" is "distasteful" :roll:
So your Mac was previously an OS Tiger I suppose? So was mine. I upgraded my OS Tiger to Leopard. So far, nothing wrong. I hope your disc isn't a fake and you bought it legally.. You should go to an Apple store to get it checked.
Jmac- wrote:I can say Vista has been far more stable than Leopard for me. And I don't suppose you've looked on the internet about how many people have been having problems w/ Leopard, have you ? It's basically Apple's Vista as far as bad PR goes ...
You gotta be kidding right? I had a BSOD in Vista the first week I had my Acer. If you haven't noticed, Leopard's reviews are by far nothing close to Vista's. Leopard's too advanced to even be close enough to Vista, far by MILES I can safely say. I trust Apple more than Microsoft. :)

BTW, if you're referring to me, I'm using an Acer Travelmate.
Uh, yeah, I got OS X Leopard free from work, n00bx. Yes, it's a legit copy complete w/ the documentation. Working for an Apple reseller has its benefits ...

You're basing your opinion of Vista on a $500 junk laptop, I'm basing my opinion of OS X on a $2500 iMac. Leopard's reviews look better because Apple edits and deletes the ones they don't like. Try to find my review on Apple.com ... You won't find it because Apple deleted it ... I also find it funny how Apple is warring w/ Tom's Hardware because of their articles pointing out Leopard's flaws, especially given Tom's pro-Apple stance in the past ... Hardly a company worth trusting, IMO (not that Microsoft is, either) ...
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

-Jmac wrote:... $500 Junk Laptop...
:evil: Have a problem with mainstream Acer laptops? :?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Let's just say I've seen more than my fair share of Travelmates fail. At least get an Aspire ...
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Aspires are great. :mrgreen:

Until we had to give it away. I luvd it so much.

I luv vista. :mrgreen: And I hate Apple because they sell overpriced pieces of sh*t.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

Jmac- wrote:
Andre_online wrote:
Jmac- wrote:First white screen of death I got was doing the following:

Insert Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Disc
Double-Click Install
Click on Restart
After restart, screen came up white and would not proceed any further.

After I finally got it to actually boot into OS X, it then told me to install updates. Installed the updates, clicked on restart, and upon the restart, guess what ? That's right, white screen of death.

It also randomly boots into a blue screen of death as well and occasionally will give me a black screen of death while watching movies. I must be clicking the mouse wrong or pushing the power button wrong or holding the remote wrong or something ...

I can say Vista has been far more stable than Leopard for me. And I don't suppose you've looked on the internet about how many people have been having problems w/ Leopard, have you ? It's basically Apple's Vista as far as bad PR goes ... :shrug: At least MS doesn't edit your posts when you post your problems in their forums because "blue screen of death" is "distasteful" :roll:
So your Mac was previously an OS Tiger I suppose? So was mine. I upgraded my OS Tiger to Leopard. So far, nothing wrong. I hope your disc isn't a fake and you bought it legally.. You should go to an Apple store to get it checked.
Jmac- wrote:I can say Vista has been far more stable than Leopard for me. And I don't suppose you've looked on the internet about how many people have been having problems w/ Leopard, have you ? It's basically Apple's Vista as far as bad PR goes ...
You gotta be kidding right? I had a BSOD in Vista the first week I had my Acer. If you haven't noticed, Leopard's reviews are by far nothing close to Vista's. Leopard's too advanced to even be close enough to Vista, far by MILES I can safely say. I trust Apple more than Microsoft. :)

BTW, if you're referring to me, I'm using an Acer Travelmate.
Uh, yeah, I got OS X Leopard free from work, n00bx. Yes, it's a legit copy complete w/ the documentation. Working for an Apple reseller has its benefits ...

You're basing your opinion of Vista on a $500 junk laptop, I'm basing my opinion of OS X on a $2500 iMac. Leopard's reviews look better because Apple edits and deletes the ones they don't like. Try to find my review on Apple.com ... You won't find it because Apple deleted it ... I also find it funny how Apple is warring w/ Tom's Hardware because of their articles pointing out Leopard's flaws, especially given Tom's pro-Apple stance in the past ... Hardly a company worth trusting, IMO (not that Microsoft is, either) ...
@Jmac-: the same thing happened to me but we didn't install lepeord, and it is a common problems with macs and just to break it to you it is going to cost a lot of money: meaning that you are going to have to get a new motherboard, or it is the memory slot is busted.

take it from me because it happened to me and I know how much it costed to get it fixed, about $500-$600 it costs to get a new motherboard
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

$500-600 for a motherboard? I sense a big ripoff in your future or past...
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

it is a mac motherboard for a laptop.

yeah, but I don't have to worry because it is my sisters laptop not mine, and the only thing I use it for is photoshop, but since its broken I haven't been able to make any new sigs.

speaking of sigs, S2K didn't I ask you to make me a Crysis sig like 2-3 weeks ago and you said you would
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

I already did, I didn't have time to upload it.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King

Post by snoopdogg879 »

oh..... ok I didn't know that
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I hate vista now. All my games lagged like hell, so I spent a whole day dedicated to restoring XP, and I finished. I love XP because it doesn't use almost any of my CPU nonstop and the games run 5x smoother. On vista I couldn't even get the EA Games logo video to show up on Crysis because it was like 0.002 frames per second, on a VIDEO FILE.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King

Post by snoopdogg879 »

buy a 10K rpm hard drive or buy another hard drive and put vista on the 10K rpm or on a different hard drive and it will run much much better
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Crysis runs fine on every Vista computer I've put it on ...
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Running the game on Vista is possible. But keeping it on stable condition, it's hardly possible. GCA ran Crysis on PC's with Vista, and 3/4 of the computers crashed.
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King

Post by snoopdogg879 »

haha funny because I have vista and I've been running Crysis for a month and it's been fine
i guess my computer is the 1/4
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I just made a dual-boot with XP Home and Vista Business (which I got for $10 for sharing a license with XP Pro)

It runs amazingly good, and Crysis runs better than on XP. I love the Aero interface.
Business pwns Home Basic.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

LOL in January you said it lagged a lot and now you say it's better than XP lol.

Well i can't wait for the Vista SP1 to appear and here are the reasons:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 203,00.asp
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

In short: Vista gets NO.

(BadVista link removed... darn, someone beat me to it.)

DRM c@rp, it's not mainstream yet, too many bugs... It gets a solid FAIL from me.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

How about this... If you've only used Vista for a short amount of time, (Let's say, less than 1-2 months,) then don't post... unless you're just going to say that you haven't used it for more than 1-2 months, but seeing as that's off-topic, don't post it. So if that's the case, don't post. :wink:

(I'm not saying people here haven't used it for that long, I'm just trying to make sure people that used it for a week and thought it was to hard to use don't say it's crap.)
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I had vista Home Basic for about 10 months before the issues, and now I'm back with Business. =D
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Vista SP1 has been released for download and on wednesday (tomorrow) it will be released on CD too.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

That's good. I was using the beta SP1, so now I can get the proper one :)
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I was using the Beta before I built my new PC... glad to have the real one! :P
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

I have the same OS-es like Stereo, XP Pro and Vista Business. I run Crysis on 1280x720 on high with some options at medium.I have an AMD X64 at 2.8Ghz(I'm proud of him) :lol: , nVidia 8500 GT 512MB and 3GB of RAM. It's not a supercomputer, but it runs Crysis on high even on Vista.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

How can you run Crysis at those settings with a 8500? :|
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Yeah, that seems a little odd ...