Vista : Yes or No

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

i remeber when XP came out and everybody is treating like vista is being treated now. just wait like 2 years or so and vista will be a decent OS. about vista using 1 gb, face it 1 gb is becoming low by todays standard. i remember when 1 gb was ALOT of memory but nowadays its just average even 2 gb is pretty common now days but a few years back it was almost unheard of. times are changing and you have to change your computer once in a while to keep up with the times
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

darknight788 wrote:i remeber when XP came out and everybody is treating like vista is being treated now. just wait like 2 years or so and vista will be a decent OS. about vista using 1 gb, face it 1 gb is becoming low by todays standard. i remember when 1 gb was ALOT of memory but nowadays its just average even 2 gb is pretty common now days but a few years back it was almost unheard of. times are changing and you have to change your computer once in a while to keep up with the times
Heck, I remember when 512MB was almost absurd. Almost like 16GB is now.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

I was installing an TV Tuner on a Vista laptop at work today and absolutely nothing was working ... The customer called just as I was about to give up on it and she said she was just going to get a different TV tuner that was made for Vista. After I got off the phone with her, I tried one last crazy idea: Installing the XP Media Center Edition driver instead of the Vista driver ... VOILA ! Success !

GJ by the manufacturer ... Vista driver doesn't work but the XP driver does ...
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

ROFL!!! That's funny. SO do you do this for a living?

I only run my "business" part time during the summer. I will occasionally do it during the school year for friends/schoolmates, or people I know.
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

will for halo 2 and crysis! :D
bashderq
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by bashderq »

ahmad0410 wrote: Its technological advancement. You need to go on with the flow of today's technology.
Windows ME anyone?
ahmad0410 wrote:It will use 1GB of RAM? I don't think so. That's a requirement. And security, Vista has one of the best security features EVER.
Yes it will use 1GB of RAM, Vista's got so many background processes running, it'll simply have a heart attack on 512mb of RAM. Besides, 1GB is becoming industry standard, so really there isn't much to argue about here.

And don't talk to me about security, you won't believe the amount of trouble people are having with their Vista laptops. Most of the problems here consist of connecting to the net via the uni proxy, and man, Vista just doesn't want to connect. "Are you sure you want to change your I.P address..Are you sure you want to change your subnet mask...Are you sure.." Gahhhhh It drove me insane just trying to help people.

ahmad0410 wrote:What stuff won't work? All my stuff worked. Huh? WTF? it work? Coz there's this "Compability Mode" feature in Vista. Stuff won't work still? Vista's fault? Nah!! Go and tell the software's manufacturer to make their "stuff" compatible with Vista.
I believe other people have already made their point with this (:
And sorry, but I personally think you're rooting too hard for MS, but then again there are people that believe Jesus did appear on that piece of toast.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Well I finally (after 3-4 months :? ) got my Home Premium but from the reviews, i'm not gonna install until two things happen; Halo 2 comes out and SP1 is released
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Holt crap, my brother is actualy running Vista Ultimate on his 1.8GHz, 512 DDR RAM, 60GB HDD, with ATi Xpress 200M integrated graphics on his laptop... and it actually works! It's not that slow either.
Vimenze
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Vimenze »

just switch the Aero off, it will save some memory
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

The Aero wasn't activated because of his hardware configuration. I really thought it would cuz of his chipset, but I guess you need 1GB of RAM for that.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I won't be upgrading until either SP1 is released or I buy a new PC which comes with Vista.

On my configuration, it will almost certainly run slower than XP (even though the Upgrade Advisor says I'll be able to run with all the bells and whistles, including the Aero interface).
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Vista actualy isn't that bad once you get it configured correctly.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

Vista is good after some tweaking the only problem is gaming on it right now, the games run slower than xp.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Typical of any OS upgrade, newer software takes more power. That's like complaning because Carbon doesn't run like Underground. :?

All though you are right... Vista is great after tweaking! :p
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Alternatively, I might just wait until "Vienna" is launched in 2009, since they didn't even bother putting WinFS into Vista, which was supposed to be one of the new OS's major selling points.

Then again, there is talk of WinFS being made available to XP users - I may stick with the stonking performance advantage gained from running a less resource hungry OS...
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

ahmad0410 wrote:If Microsoft didnt continue making new OS, you will still be using Windows 3.0 now. Would you complain if a car company keep making new cars? I don't think so.

Its technological advancement. You need to go on with the flow of today's technology.

It will use 1GB of RAM? I don't think so. That's a requirement. And security, Vista has one of the best security features EVER.

And for sure, Microsoft won't make new OS just because seeing many people buying Vista. Even before Vista's launch, Microsoft has planned to make another OS, Windows Vienna, that will happen about 5 years from now.

What stuff won't work? All my stuff worked. Huh? WTF? it work? Coz there's this "Compability Mode" feature in Vista. Stuff won't work still? Vista's fault? Nah!! Go and tell the software's manufacturer to make their "stuff" compatible with Vista.
It's monopoly now, products get more expencive and worse, since they don't have to worry about other companies.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Except it's not. Microsoft is not the only company that makes OSs. Besides, monopolies are illegal in the U.S.; if it were, it would be split up into several smaller companies.
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Except it's not. Microsoft is not the only company that makes OSs. Besides, monopolies are illegal in the U.S.; if it were, it would be split up into several smaller companies.
Apple? I don't know about Linux since there's no company behind it, still it's an OS...I don't know
But Apple makes OSs too. I know monopolies are illegal, but I don't see M$ being split apart, they might put money in that too.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I have Vista and I'm fine with it now. The sidebar was what caused all the problems. Games kept stuttering cause of it.

The only problem is that some games aren't fully compatible but It's not much of a problem in most cases.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I love my Vista, in fact I've never had a problem with it... Okay I lied, I've had alot of problems with it... but not nearly enought to EVER make me go back to XP! :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Except it's not. Microsoft is not the only company that makes OSs. Besides, monopolies are illegal in the U.S.; if it were, it would be split up into several smaller companies.
Monopolies may be illegal, but it takes anyone helluva long time to do anything about them. AT&T's latest mergers have made it the largest and almost sole provider of land lines in the continental US. Back in the 1970s, AT&T was ordered by the Supreme Court to break up, but did it? It's back again to trying monopolize.

Anyways, didn't Microsoft lose a court case to Apple over a monopoly?

Curiousity, does anyone here use Vista on a tablet PC? If so, what version of Vista, and how is it on a Tablet?
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I admit, vista looks nice. But it's not very useful. Like DRM is built in all sections of vista.
Read more: http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-wi ... dows-vista
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

i Hate to tell you... but we lost that war years ago without knowing it, almost everything is simply licenced to us, not sold to us.
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

I am currently running Xp.

And I want to system restore my PC so I have a clean slate on which to upgrade.
Now I also want vista, so will installig vista system restore my PC and solve both of my problems?

One problem is I'm a little worried about this "spying" thing does this mean it will alert the police if I downloadl music and stuff?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

WTF? Where'd you hear about that???

Look if you want a clean slate just run a clean install... presuming you actually bought vista look in the manual looking thing and it should be in the very front... It's not really a manual it's like an overview booklet (if it's like the OEM kit)

Return to “The Hardware & Software”