Bugatti Veyron

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

w/e you dont understand, just like i dont understand your fascination with saying every thing american is crap
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Don't understand what? The reasoning behind building a stupidly high-performance car that's totally undrivable?
Exactly what is the reason behind it?
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

exactly my point you dont understand ........... there is no point in continuing this. nuff said.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

No I'm being serious. Why would you build a car that's not actually usable?
Surely that's the same as building a chair that you can't sit on, or a painting under the floorboards of your house?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

im going to give one more shot about this.
if you put twins on a viper it will be difficult to drive no doubt with all that power down low it will want to turn and burn where ever it goes. a normal viper im assuming is nothing like a 1100 bhp version, i have seen them drive around ( a normal one) and they seemed very docile i couldnt even hear it. the viper wasnt meant to compete with the likes of the veyron it was meant to compete with cars like the vette and ford gt more of the domestic type and a few other imports.

the hennessey ( bad business man ) viper 1100 bhp has a modified suspension i posted the article about it somewhere around here but it wasnt as wild as the 1000 hp corvette that like to burn tires at 125 mph, the rear tires on a viper are extermely wide i forget how wide exactly but it is usually enough to contain it to a point, we will have to wait and see what the 600 hp version will behave like but i can gaurantee it is going to be harsh like the previous ones.

i agree the viper wasnt meant to take on 1100 HP + but the same can be said about many cars out there like twin turbo gallardo's and such. even though the body wasnt meant to handle that much horsepower it still does. it might have something to do with the car itself. since it is a unibody rather than a body on frame wouldnt that make it somewhat stronger ? ( just a guess ) if the car was a body on frome it would twist it in half no doubt like the old muscle drag cars that twist their frames alot.

driving a viper in rush hour traffic would be hell, because the clutch is so heavy and the stop and go driving would kill your left foot, if i had to pick a car for a mix between stop and go city driving and wide open country roads i might chose a corvette or something that competes with it.

ever since the 60's and early 70's where all you could buy was a muscle car, people got bored with the gutless horrible cars of the 80's and early 90's, until 92' when dodge unveiled their viper concept the public liked the car alot and so dodge built it. it started out with 400 bhp which was not great nor horrible for a engine that was tied by emissions. through the years the viper evolved from 400 bhp to 450,460,500,510, and now 600 the design of the engine has remained virtualy untouched. most of the people that buy them are those with a mid life crisis and they need something fun and exciting over their wives lexus or oldsmobile.

the vipers purpose is to go fast and catch eyes which i say does very well, driving down the interstate i saw a electric yellow viper go by it defintely caught my eye and im sure others saw it too. the earlier vipers borrowed their steering gearbox from the grand cherokee WTF ?!? yep its true they done away with it in 2004 i believe. the early ones might have not even had power steering. to this date the viper has a skid pad rating of 1.05g which is above that of the corvette and many other high performance cars and is capable of braking 60-0 in under 100 ft. the earlier vipers up to 2005 im sure had a live rear axle this would cause the car to get a little wild at times but it was also fun for those who wanted something a little wild. the new viper has 4 wheel independent suspension now this should make the car handle alot better than the previous ones but that is just specualtion becasue the car also gets a 90 hp boost we will have to wait and see when a test drive review is published.

thats all i have to say about this subject now
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

:? steelsnake's talking about modified/tuned 1,000+ BHP Vipers.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

and so did i ;)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Darknight, you weren't asked to spin a whole page of crap. All we wanted was a simple answer. Or is that too hard?
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

darknight788 wrote: ever since the 60's and early 70's where all you could buy was a muscle car, people got bored with the gutless horrible cars of the 80's and early 90's,
For what its worth, my boss' 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner (440) is slower in a drag race than my stock MX5. Also, every mildly modified 60s or 70s Charger/Barracuda/Mustang Ive seen at the track has been slower than most B16-engined Hondas.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

like i said beforer and i'll say it again ..... im done trying to give a reason to people who dont even live in the same country you think your cars are hot well i think american cars are sweet, there is nothing wrong with being patriotic and supporting your economy
BKize_GT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by BKize_GT »

But there is something wrong with trying to say they are faster and efficient, when they aren't.

Yes I'm American. Yes I hate American cars.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

How are you supporting your economy, by telling a bunch of us foreigners that the Viper is better than the Veyron?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I am going to make this very simple for you Darknight so you don't ignore the point yet again.

Why. Would. You. Build. A. Car. Which. Is Completely. Unusable?

I'm not even saying road unusable, I'm saying completely unusable. The Viper's actually CHASSIS can't handle the kind of power the Hennesy cars put out, and without being rebuild from the ground up never will be able to.

If he's aiming for some kind of drag record, he's way off. He might as well build a jet powered car. At least then he'd get some recognition for killing someone famous or the like, rather than for being a half-arsed tuner of US muscle which when push comes to shove is probably slower around a track then an Integra Type R.

Additionally, why be patriotic over a country who hasn't ever actually built anything good or original?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

the car is mostly a showcase for hennessey and it does the standing mile really well other than that i have no idea i have never driven one. and i dont get what you mean when you say the chassis cant handle the power its not like they are bending or cracking. and what is good and what is not is completely an opinion and not fact so once again lets drop the stupid topic.

darknight788 wrote:exactly my point you dont understand ........... there is no point in continuing this. nuff said.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I do understand, though. The purpose in cars is to get you from A to B. The purpose in fast cars and modifying cars is to have the most fun possible on your journey from A to B, and maybe a quick detour to C on the way home.

The chassis cannot handle the power because it can't go in anything other than a straight line. A steel girder with a F110-GE-400 bolted to it will do a fast standing mile but it doesn't have any purpose. It's just a turbofan bolted to a bit of metal. Similarly, a 1000bhp Viper which can do a 210mph standing mile but doesn't go round corners has surpassed the limit of it's engineering. The chassis cannot cope with the power because you carry any throttle or speed whatsoever into a corner at all and you're going to end up with a pair of Garrett's for legs. The original Viper wasn't exactly reknowned for it's handling prowess and as much as Hennessy would love you to think otherwise, a set of trick coilovers and a few braces won't do anything with that ammount of power churning out the rear.

The Hennessy viper isn't a showcase of anything. It would be a showcase if he rebuilt the chassis from the ground up so rather than just going fast in a straight line, it went around corners. All the Hennessy car shows is that you can bolt a pair of big turbos onto a Viper and render it totally pointless.

That's no showcase, it's a demonstration of faux-machismo. A Horsepower-based penis extention for fat American buisnessmen and loaded rednecks. Anyone who REALLY knows about cars wouldn't go near the thing with a barge pole.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

the chassis doesnt need any rebuilding it does its job very well it is one of the more rigid chassis in its class.
and if somebody really knows about cars what do you think they would buy ?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

A Bently Continental GTC to pose in and a Porsche 997 GT3. And enough money left over for fuel and insurance for a year. And a nice suit to pose in whilst driving the Bently. And some rubber trousers so you don't soil yourself driving then GT3.

From what I remember of the Viper, it was rather akin to piloting a motorboat. Like a boat, it had alot of bodyroll and took to any adverse camber very badly. Also like a motorboat, it was rather fast in a straight line, but you had to give it 4 weeks notice before you turned, shave the speed down to a crawl and even then with any throttle, the ligh-bumbum back end would swing out and you'd end up facing the way you just came. Then you run out of petrol.

I'm exaggerating slightly but it's only to get my point across. As "muscle" as people like to think a V10 powered American car is liableto be, the Viper is a letdown on all counts. 60bhp/L yet still 500-odd BHP, far too much torque, extremely nose-heavy with a light back end, with the suspention rigidity of a sponge cake and a thimble-sized fuel tank mean it isn't exactly an everyday car.

A 500bhp Viper is like driving a twin Mercury-engine'd inflatable bath pillow, so I'd hate to see what a 1000bhp one would be like.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

well the people that own them dont seem to think they are let downs and thats what counts.
and if you have ever watched the top gear episode with the viper it can move rather quickly around turns
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Yet it still posted a time slower than a 200bhp-less, half-the-price BMW M3.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

it wasnt meant to compete with the bmw
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

No, it was meant to compete with cars twice the power, and twice the price-tag of the M3. If it cant even beat that...what chance does it stand against its target competitors?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

its target competitors are the ford gt, corvette, and a few other imports NOT bmw's
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Thus you consider BMWs to be superior to Ford GTs and Corvettes?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

in luxury ......... sure, performance .......... no
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Do you actually have any idea what you type?

Return to “The Cars”