Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

it is a production car and people dont think therees a better car
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

It's not a production car. It's a custom purpose-built Viper built by, you guessed it, Mr. Hennessy himself. It didn't come off the assembly line like that.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Tuners Rock wrote:
xHaZxMaTx wrote:The CCX, last I heard, had an unofficial top speed of ~255 M.P.H.
it did, it was on the site, 806 horses of pure Koenigsegg power
Perhaps this is true, but the CCX is dangerous. It almost killed the Stig on Top Gear . . .

The Veyron could be driven by your nanna.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

But what car worth driving doesn't take a little skill. ;)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

You saying Stig has no skill? O.o
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Wha? No, read what I said again.

I'm saying most cars worth driving require a skilled driver (From what I've heard, obviously.)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

But that doesn't really make much sense . . . Any car can be driven by any sane person; driving it on the limit is what requires skill.

I wasn't talking about skill anyway. The CCX is more unstable than the Veyron at high speeds because it doesn't have as much downforce, and that's why it almost killed Stiggy ;) It's like a TVR, it just scares the crap out of you.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

boganbusman wrote:But that doesn't really make much sense . . . Any car can be driven by any sane person; driving it on the limit is what requires skill.
Well, I thought that was implied, but I guess not.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yeh I know what you're trying to say, I'm just having a hard time trying to describe my own thoughts :P
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

amda1 wrote:Toshiro is spot on, everyone bums off the Veyron, when in actual fact at face value it is pretty fugly. Who cares if it goes into the 200's? It's not as if anyone is going to drive that fast anyway :roll:
Im going to go ahead and put it out there that you dont drive? When you get your licence, you tell me how many times you drive above 30mph, then Ill come back and call you a dumb*ss for that statement.

The Veyron isnt great because its practical, no supercar is. Its great because of what it achieved.

Viper16 - Im not sure how many times you need telling, but just as another, the Hennessey isnt a production car. Its also by no stretch of the imagination the fastest street legal car, I have plenty of friends whose cars run quicker than a Venom, youre only looking at mid 10s, which actually, isnt quicker than a Veyron at all.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:
amda1 wrote:Toshiro is spot on, everyone bums off the Veyron, when in actual fact at face value it is pretty fugly. Who cares if it goes into the 200's? It's not as if anyone is going to drive that fast anyway :roll:
Im going to go ahead and put it out there that you dont drive? When you get your licence, you tell me how many times you drive above 30mph, then Ill come back and call you a dumb*ss for that statement
Wtf grez? Of course I (well, my friends who drive) go over the speed limit. And I think anyone would, I don't think anyone has restrained from doing so. What, and how does that in anyway compare to driving over 200? Which, no one, along normal streets, or even country roads achieve. My point is, what is the point in this high top speed, at such expense of running out of fuel in 15 minutes, or paying 800,000 when basically no one is going to have the chance to drive to that limit if they had one anyway? I think you missed the point of my arguement completely...
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

You can drive it that fast on a racetrack, and racetracks are easily accessible to the general public :| All you need is a helmet (not even, in some cases) and a few dollars and you can drive as fast if you want. And if you had a car like that, you would do it.
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

I know that, but he was comparing this to speeding in town :/

Hence he missed the point.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

amda1 wrote:I know that, but he was comparing this to speeding in town :/

Hence he missed the point.
No, you missed the point.
They Veyron is a technology demonstrator. It's built by VAG just to say "look what we can do", stick two fingers up at convention, not to mention every other car company on the planet.
Hell, most of the Veyron's sold won't even be driven. They will be shrink-wrapped and kept in heated storage so they are in absolutely pristene condition for years to come.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

^ true. has anyone heard how many of these things they have/will produce
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

steelsnake00 wrote:They Veyron is a technology demonstrator. It's built by VAG just to say "look what we can do", stick two fingers up at convention, not to mention every other car company on the planet.
That's exactly my point, there is no real need for it. It is just Bugatti showing off. No one is going to use that speed in reality, apart from on race courses.

But I guess you could use that arguement for any super car, enzo, slr, ccx
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

amda1 wrote:
steelsnake00 wrote:They Veyron is a technology demonstrator. It's built by VAG just to say "look what we can do", stick two fingers up at convention, not to mention every other car company on the planet.
That's exactly my point, there is no real need for it. It is just Bugatti showing off. No one is going to use that speed in reality, apart from on race courses.

But I guess you could use that arguement for any super car, enzo, slr, ccx
Bugatti don't really exist anymore. It's just VW under a different name, all the parts are designed in-house by VW, et al.

But there's no point to many things. It doesn't stop people wanting them, having them, or using them. If you follow this logic through, there is no point in any car over a certain ammount of horsepower because it will get you somewhere at a certain speed in a certain time. It's about enjoyment more than anything.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

nice philosophy 8)
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

i agree

all the idiot ricers in my class that have no clue what a mazda rx-7 or nissan skyline is go around naming the highest top speed cars not knowing about fuel efficiency, acceleration, or handling is so they go around saying "OMGhAAXXorzzerz i w4nt to drive t3h lamborghini when i gr0w up" (if you'll ever grow up) or "hey you'll be jeleous wehn i g0 sp33dingzorz d0wn t3h hiwai wiht teh corvete wh3n i is sickst33n!" and they hardly know what a lamborghini is and when i ask them how many lamborghinis they know about they are all like "Shux, uh,, th3r3s t3h g4llard0 and t3h mercilago" and im like "what abou the diablo, and the countach, and the miura, adn the gallardo se, and the lp640, and the diablo sv, etc." and they just sit there and pick their nose. then i ask them which is quicker, the gallardo and the murcialago. "t3h gallardo is t3h pwnz0rz cuz it n3w3r@!!!!!!111111oneelevenshift+1!" and i roll my eyes at them because they dont know that the murcialago is faster on top of the fact that they think that drifting is easy.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

amda1 wrote:
Wtf grez? Of course I (well, my friends who drive) go over the speed limit. And I think anyone would, I don't think anyone has restrained from doing so. What, and how does that in anyway compare to driving over 200? Which, no one, along normal streets, or even country roads achieve. My point is, what is the point in this high top speed, at such expense of running out of fuel in 15 minutes, or paying 800,000 when basically no one is going to have the chance to drive to that limit if they had one anyway? I think you missed the point of my arguement completely...
And therein lies my point. Its all well and good for (essentially) pedestrians, or people who drive economy cars who have no interest in performance, to claim that no car over a certain power needs building. However, I dont know what you kids are interested in these days, but if I were to start slating skateboarding, and campaigning against it because it hurts the trees, all for a basic form of enjoyment, youd probably see what Im getting at.

The fact is, I like speed. I enjoy it so much I spend all my hard-earned to purpose build my cars to achieve it. If you think thats pointless, wait until you see the car my friends dad has just picked up, and the car Im going to be test driving this weekend. The fact that VW has built something as a pinnacle of speed is seen as a great triumph to people like me.

Frankly, if you cant see the point in it, claim its bad fuel economy is pointless and that you think its ugly...well, Im sure VW are quaking in their boots.
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

I agree with you Grez, I love speed, can't get enough of it, but the main thing is i enjoy it in a CONTROLLED environment, which im guessing you do the same. I think that people who genuinely like speed also upgrade there cars with the nessesary safety equipment, bigger brakes etc, and make there cars safer than most better economic production cars. What gets me is the doodle, and i use the term openly, that go speeding through city streets, not thinking that one tyre blowout could throw them straight into a woman and child walking down the street.

I'd love to get my hands on a Buggati, because I am a mechanic, and that kind of engineering really excites me. But I would never condone it being used to its full potential through city streets. As for fuel economy etc, if you can fork out 800 000 for the car, keeping fuel up to it wouldnt even scratch the bank balance
amda1
Drift King
Drift King

Post by amda1 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote: The fact is, I like speed. I enjoy it so much I spend all my hard-earned to purpose build my cars to achieve it. If you think thats pointless, wait until you see the car my friends dad has just picked up, and the car Im going to be test driving this weekend. The fact that VW has built something as a pinnacle of speed is seen as a great triumph to people like me.
Arrgh forget it, you obviously don't understand where I'm coming from. I'm not talking about any of that. I love speed. I'm a virtual petrolhead. I go to see gt races at the local race track all the times I can, and I bag time with my uncle and his caterham 7 whenever I can. It is great speeding through the country lanes :D
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Of course I agree, there is a time and a place for speed. Im not always mature enough to acknowledge it, but I try my best. (I apologise, but a Ferrari F430 next to me at the lights, exiting a city...thats not something my body would allow me to turn down, even if my brain knows better...)

I admire the Veyron for its attitude and its achievment, not for its genital-extension image.

Return to “The Cars”