Website Development

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Website Development

Post by Carcrazy »

My computer class wants to design their own website for all of the lower and middle school to use. Since it was origionally my idea I have the responsibility to find out how. We'll have about 6 weeks to do the project. My question to you is...

HOW DO YOU MAKE ONE?

I can get us an address and the school has their own server so it shouldn't b ethat expensive. If I can find out how my computer teacher and I will present it to the headmaster and if he approves my class will be allowed to design the site and I, along with my teacher, will create it. So what kind of software would I need and what programing/coding would I need to know.

Thx! :D
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

DON'T use Frontpage/Publisher. It's a cheapo website designer. Use javascript in HTML. Or just use Flash.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Ugh, my computer class used Front Page for web design. It may get the job done, but the end result is cheap and unprofessional looking and it doesn't really teach you anything.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Is there any good free software or low price software?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Beleive it or not, but Frontpage is a pretty decent html editor. The reason why the result may look cheap and unprofessionaly is solely in the web designer.

My suggestion would be that you make the template for the site in a graphical editor like Photoshop. Add text and everything else there. If you like it, then simply cut parts of the design and put it into html.

And if you ask me which editor is the best html editor. It would be either UltraEdit or PSPad.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I forgot about CMS. There's lots of them like AuroraCMS (NFSUnlimited uses), PHP-Nuke, Joomla! (good =>), RunCMS, Xoops, and loads of others. All you need is PHP and a MySQL database.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Well... I think my computer teacher is going to propose the idea to the headmaster and we'll go from there... just hope it gets approved cuz he doesn't like me to well.

He actually doesn't like anybody in school unless they kiss up to his very fat ass and buy him free stuff.
Ataraxia
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ataraxia »

Dreamweaver is better than Frontpage any day of the week and just as easy to use. Also something like AuroraCMS, Nuke-PHP or Joomla/Mambo are even easier to setup and use.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Speaking of AuroraCMS. The thing NFSUnlimited.net uses is not the same thing as you'll find if you google for auroracms. Need I mention that at the time my cms started using the name 'AuroraCMS', that aussie site didn't exist ;)
That's why nowadays squirrels help make NFSUnlimited.net. They have nuts of course because nutless squirrels aren't worth half a penny.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Bojan wrote:nutless squirrels aren't worth half a penny.
Actually, ebay lists nutless squirrels to be valued at $0.0075. That's just a tad bit more than half a penny.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Yes but those prices are overinflated. Nobody buys nutless squirrels for $0.0075.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

everything on ebay is overpriced... they allways rip off people with their squirrels.

Anyway... still waiting on my computer teacher to ask headmaster.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Can I use an old computer as a server?

EDIT: crap, sorry for double post.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

It'll need to have a server OS installed, it'll need a dedicated connection to the internet, you'll need to get a domain name attached to that ID, etc etc. It's much easier to purchase server space and upload using FTP software.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

how much does server space usually cost?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Depends on what you want. It really does vary.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

just someting small for a forum.

My school has their own server so this hosting is for my site.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Hosting your website on your own computer is pretty easy, but you will need some skills and some time to set it up. For a small website with little of visitors, windows xp with apache server is enough. Just keep in mind that you'll have to run the maching 24/7. Professional hosting is a way to go as well, you can get some pretty cheap plans for a few $ per month (check godaddy.com).
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I've got two of my own computers and one runs XP (my other runs Vista, atleast by the end of the day it will! 8) ) SO i think I'll set up the XP to run it. How large of a hard drive should I put in it?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Apache webserver installation takes 15MB...
Anoter interesting solution would also be to install some lightweight no gui linux under windows xp (http://www.vmware.com offers free virtualization - vmware server) and put the webserver there. It would be completely secure ;) Depends on how much time you're willing to invest.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Carcrazy, you could try this free hosting service:
http://myhostisfree.com/

Judging by what you are saying you need the site for, it has plenty of storage and features for you. But you do need to have a good knowledge of HTML editing and know how to upload files to an ftp server so they work on your website.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I used phpnet.us for my site. (clantdd.tk)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

OMFG! I was changing my MoBo so I could fix the computer I'm running this on, and when I went to pull the cpu out of the old one, it had gotten so hot the thermal tape freaking melted!!! I had to pry it off gently with a flat head screwdriver!
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Carcrazy wrote:OMFG! I was changing my MoBo so I could fix the computer I'm running this on, and when I went to pull the cpu out of the old one, it had gotten so hot the thermal tape freaking melted!!! I had to pry it off gently with a flat head screwdriver!
OFFTOPIC: Yeah, that's what thermal tape generally does.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”