Ford Sells Aston Martin

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing

Are you happy that Ford has finally sold Aston Martin to a private company?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 17

Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Ford Sells Aston Martin

Post by Porsche-AG »

www.bloomberg.com wrote:Ford Sells Aston Martin Unit to Group Led by Richards (Update7)

By Bill Koenig and Will McSheehy

March 12 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., seeking to raise cash after last year's record loss, will sell its profitable Aston Martin luxury sports-car unit for $848 million to investors led by U.K. auto-racing champion David Richards.
Read the rest of the article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

The news is a couple weeks old, but Ford has sold Aston Martin, how do you all feel about this? Personally, I feel really great because I've always despised Ford and their mediocre ways, and I'd actually consider buying an Aston Martin now :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

If Ford didn't revive AM in the way they did, it probably wouldn't be around any more. It's a shame that you despise Ford for making Aston profitable :?

I wonder what these 'private investors' are going to do with the company though . . . Aston might end up like TVR now.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Well I didn't say that I despised Ford for making AM profitable, they did quite a good job of that. I just don't like Ford ideas, and I guess it's just sort of a bias against the company. Part of it is because I've heard of many recalls for Ford cars, and when I see companies like Land Rover and Aston Martin under their control, it makes me wonder if I'll have to bring my DB9 or Range Rover back for some repairs. I basically just dislike the main Ford brands which consist of Mercury, Ford, and Lincoln. The other brands under Ford have some of their original roots left in them and that can't be taken away from them.

Ford has put AM on the right track to a brighter future, however. With the introduction of the Aston Martin DBS and possibly the Rapide, Aston Martin's range of consumers will only increase in the years to come under the new management.
Sweet-16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweet-16 »

i don't really care, to be honest. it's just business. major companies buy out and sell their minor holds all the time, this is just one of those transactions.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Even though I don't like ford in general, and I still wonder why they wanted so many brittish carbrands like Jaguar AM and Land Rover.

But I do have to give them credit for reviving Aston Martin, since Ford Bought it, they started building the most beautifull and best Astons in a long time:
- V12 Vanquish (S)
- DB9 (Volante)
- V8 Vantage
Before Ford came along they only had the DB7 wich was besicly a mix of alot of other cars (rearlights from a Mazda etc)

Luckely Ford mostly put money into Aston Martin and not so many own Ideas cause if they did that, Aston's would most likely be build like a American Luxury car, in other words, BIG and full of recycled wheeliebins (aka plastic)
But they didn't so Aston could keep building cars like the Vanquish by hand from the ground up and use exotic materials etc, and ofcourse keep the classic brittish breakdown quality :lol:
Neoned
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Neoned »

Aston Martin now will work as a private company and that's good if sticks to the main projects.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

The fact that the consortium that has bought Aston Martin is headed by Dave Richards (of Prodrive and BAR F1 fame) can only be a good thing; Prodrive already build and run the Aston Martin racing DBR 9's as well as the Subaru cars in the World Rally series. It has also safe guarded jobs in the UK, as Aston will not be going overseas.

Dave Richards is also looking to come back into Formula One with his own team - hopefully, they will run under the Aston Martin name. I wish them all the success possible. :D
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

That's nice to hear :D
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Yes, hopefully in a couple of years Ford might even have to sell Jaguar or Land Rover, because I don't think their sales are going to get any better. There's even competition emerging from Chinese automakers.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ah, didn't realise Dave Richards was part of Prodrive. That certainly is good news then :)

Return to “The Cars”