Xbox 360 Discussion Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Xbox 360 Discussion Thread

Post by korge »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:Honest opinion, if you had the choice between the 360 Premium, and the 360 Elite, (considering price,) which would you choose? I'm thinking I should get the Elite just because I'm pretty sure I'd manage to fill up that 20 Gig Hard Drive pretty quickly, but seeing as I've never been on the 360 Shop, (or w/e it's called,) I don't really know for sure. lol

I can pretty much afford both, I just want to know what the actual user's opinions are. :P
The Elite actually runs cooler and more stable than the Premiums. I actually have a 20GB and it is almost full. I have around 20 Arcade games, usually have 2-3 demos which are usually 1-2 GBs. Game saves and such take up space once you have 10-15 games :lol: . I am debating buying a 120 GB so I don't have to worry about the space on my Xbox. Right now I stream music and movies from my PC right now.

Accounts don't take a lot of space. There is alot of content available online on the Marketplace so have fun searching around and downloading gamer pictures and themes for your xbox.
A month ago Live released about 5 free TV episodes.. I downloaded like 4 and it filled my hard drive.. Each show (only 720p) was like 3-4 gigs... #-o
korge
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

There should be a PS3 Discussion Thread.
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Stereo wrote:There should be a PS3 Discussion Thread.
http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 24&t=16203
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I'm looking into what the new Fall Update is going to be adding and such.
Fall Update is coming out on Nov. 19th.

1. A new option very similar to a Wii Mii profile character.
2. More XNA support/activity
3. A new " Live Party" mode allowing 8 People to party up with their new avatar system.
4. Nexflix additions to the Marketplace

Because I'm bored, here is a list of games I currently have:

Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4
Civil War: A Nation Divided
Dead Rising
Dead Space
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry Instincts: Predator
Far Cry 2
Gears of War
Graw 2
GTA IV
Halo 3
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Madden 07
Madden 08
NBA 2K7
NFS: Carbon (thanks to Bobyx)
Oblivion
PGR 3
Quake 4
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rockband 1 & 2 (haven't had the time to play Rockband 2)
Tony Hawk Project 8
Viva Pinata
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Yup, i can't wait for installing games option.... going to rock and also two days before my birthday : D
Explicit signature removed.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

What's the installing games option... Is it like downloadable retail games like with the PS3?

(No I'm not trying to start a console war)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Stereo wrote:What's the installing games option... Is it like downloadable retail games like with the PS3?

(No I'm not trying to start a console war)
You just copy the dvd to the hard drive so that the game loads from it instead of the dvd-rom, better in load times and quieter. You'll still need the dvd in for verification though.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Skyline_man wrote:You'll still need the dvd in for verification though.
Doesn't that kinda' defeat the purpose? If I'm having to take up space to save a game, I'd like to be able to just pick up my console and take it wherever and play, without carrying a large case of disks...
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Think about it.... i wished this too but imagine people who just install games on there harddrivers and return it the next day for a full refund.. they can get loads of games without even doing much of a thing if ya know what i mean
:P
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

There will be things that will limit people doing it. It will probably be like renting a movie on the Marketplace, you will just have to verify that you have the disc every month or so, maybe.

If I buy another game that disappoints after being hyped up so much, I'm giving up on gaming period.

Next week I'm buying a 120 GB hard drive and newer xbox that is and better/more stable and HDMI
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

So what do you guys think of the new dashboard?
The xbox button menu and achievement menus look like they're on SD... Blurred and weird.
Otherwise it looks awesome.
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Bojan wrote:So what do you guys think of the new dashboard?
The xbox button menu and achievement menus look like they're on SD... Blurred and weird.
Otherwise it looks awesome.
I like it, i think its a big improvement over the older one, and the best feature imo is the ability to copy games to the hard disk, otherwise the xbox sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I liked it at first, but I hate the fact they over hyped it. The friends list and achievement list are a pain to scroll through. The media player is still weak and lame to use. Not everyone Wants to use an avatar. I get lost in the deep parts of menus. And so far, I cant really tell a loading difference by installing games. My cds arent scratched so I dont care.

They claim its more than just a new theme, but thats all I see tbh.
korge
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

I agree there, there's no new functionality (except the avatars which don't have any useful features really). But the theme itself is very good, fast and responsive. I also don't see the point in installing games to HD when I only have a 20GB HD and about 6GB free. The video player could get a few improvements, but I've long given up hope on that. Fortunately there are other cheap devices available which play everything (I'm probably getting the WD TV).
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

I wish my 360 still worked, died long ago :( .
Well im getting a new one next year.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I installed Undercover onto the Hard drive and the load time is a bit faster, also it is more quiet when it is using the hard drive.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:I installed Undercover onto the Hard drive and the load time is a bit faster, also it is more quiet when it is using the hard drive.
When the fan is so loud that you cant hear the optical drive spinning, it doesnt make a difference. So that arguement doesnt count. :lol:

And like I said, load times dont vary much or at all on Forza 2 for me. :x
korge
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Yay! I was gonna' buy a 360 with the $250 I got from my grandmother for a Christmas/birthday gift, but since a Pro costs $299, I had to find a deal on one online. I found a coupon for Dell.com so I was able to get it for $254.15 (which I had down to the penny...) and when I showed my dad and asked if he would order it for me, (bank won't let me open a debit account quite yet,) he ordered it after quite a bit of praying. So, anyway, when I went to my room and grabbed my wallet to pay him, he wouldn't let me... said it was my birthday present. Heck, he wouldn't even take HALF of the money. I think it's just because he'll be able to take it if my grades drop vs. if I bought it, but oh well. Now I can give my sister some money for my parent's anniversary next year (they're hitting the 25 yr. mark,) and buy some stuff for it, as well as put some money towards my Antec 1200. :D

Anyway, what do y'all think of these, and do you have any suggestions on some fun, cheap games?

BF: Bad Company ($27.99)
Burnout Paradise ($27.99)
Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit ($19.99)
13 Month (1 Month Free) LIVE Subscription ($38.99)
6Ft Belkin Stereo Audio Cable (Need to run audio from HDMI to PC Line-in port ; from monitor,) ($3.99)
Belkin 6ft HDMI Cable ($9.99)

So, all this from Newegg for $148.19 after shipping. Think this is a good deal, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks! :P

Oh, also... thanks to those who answered my question about Pro vs Elite. I really looked for deals on the Elite but couldn't find any that I could even stretch my budget to make it fit... luckily, the Pro that I ordered is a 60GB model with the same Motherboard/65nm CPU upgrade that the elite has. The main difference now is simply the color, an extra 60GB of hard drive space, and a few accessories. I'm just glad I actually (finally) got one. :)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

*bump*

I have some good, some bad, and some questionable news.

The good news is, I just found out my console is a Jasper. \:D/
I never looked at the amp-rating on the console when I got it, I only looked at the wattage on the power brick.

Which brings me to my bad news: I have a power brick designed for a Falcon.

So, If I'm using a Falcon's power brick (175w, 14.2a,) on a Jasper console (150w, 12.1a,) is it going to damage the console, or possibly make it overheat by giving it to much power? I'm just wondering if I need to contact MS to get the correct power brick or not. I haven't had any problems yet, but it hasn't been on for more than a few hours at a time, and has only been used about five days of the two weeks I've had it, due to school.

Just wonderin', thanks ahead! :P
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Power supplies are backwards compatible, so yes.

And I thought Elites didn't have Jasper yet? D:
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

Contact MS, hopefully they'll send you the correct Power brick i guess, It could actually overheat the xbox which could cause the R'ROD, i'm not fully sure but it did happen to my mate ^^....

aww, what happened to my sig :/
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

ImJ wrote:aww, what happened to my sig :/
Lol. :P

Thanks. actually went on the Xbox.com forum and they said it's actually better, as no-one has seemed to have any direct problems from it, and the brick doesn't have to work as hard as a 150watt version, meaning less heat should be generated... which is good because I pretty much just threw it behind my desk rofl.

Thanks though, I'll probably browse a few more links on Google just to be safe, lol.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

They didn't put that power brick in so you could send your dead 360 back to them. D: It's fine, they're using up old stock.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

That's pretty much just what I had figured. It's unlikely there'd be a mispackaging.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

So my bro got an Xbox 360 Premium and it worked completely fine until he plugged it into the net and downloaded all the latest patches - including NXE. After that every game he tried (NFSUC, Fable2) would freeze after about 10 min of gameplay. He tried lowering resolution, cleaning cache, formatting hard drive, nothing helped. Except installing the game to the hard drive which seems to take the freezing problems away. Anybody else encountered anything like that and is the xbox eligible for a replacement?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”